Le Maire

Old Mar 9th 2020, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Wobblebottom01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Le Maire

Hi folks, this is my first post on britishexpats so please excuse me if I make a mistake.
Just been chatting with a French colleague who informs me that I will have to approach the Le Maire of the area we might live in France to get there permission to buy a property.
If they don't like you for any reason then your stuffed.
Is that right?
Old Mar 9th 2020, 7:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Le Maire

Originally Posted by Wobblebottom01
Hi folks, this is my first post on britishexpats so please excuse me if I make a mistake.
Just been chatting with a French colleague who informs me that I will have to approach the Le Maire of the area we might live in France to get there permission to buy a property.
Is that right?
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Your French colleague is mistaken about getting permission from the Maire to BUY a property. On the other hand, you need their permission to alter its outside aspect (extensions, roof, doors, windows...) and must declare any important interior changes (extra bathroom, loo, ....). The Taxe Foncière will be increased accordingly, as the value of the property will have been inceased.....
It's doubtful that a Maire would refuse a Permis de Construire simply on the basis of not liking the look of a complete stranger - it's usually given, provided the plan fits in with its surroundings and isn't an eye-sore. Each Commune has its own bye-laws in this respect.
HTH
Old Mar 9th 2020, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Is that right?
No that's complete tosh.
As dmu says, you need to apply at the mairie for planning permission if you want to do anything to the house.
If it's an agricultural property being sold for non agricultural use you need permission from the farming authorities but your notaire will deal with that, nothing to do with the mayor.
In a small commune it's true to an extent that if the mayor gets a grudge against you, life can be more difficult than if he was on your side. So it's a good idea to introduce yourselves to the mayor at an early stage, out of politeness and to get off on the right foot,. Not this week though, in case a different mayor gets voted in after the local elections next weekend!
In a biggish town or city the mayor doesn't know every resident and doesn't give a stuff who moves in or out.
Either your colleague is pulling your leg, or if not, I would take their advice with a pinch of salt in the future.

Old Mar 9th 2020, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
No that's complete tosh.
As dmu says, you need to apply at the mairie for planning permission if you want to do anything to the house.
If it's an agricultural property being sold for non agricultural use you need permission from the farming authorities but your notaire will deal with that, nothing to do with the mayor.
In a small commune it's true to an extent that if the mayor gets a grudge against you, life can be more difficult than if he was on your side. So it's a good idea to introduce yourselves to the mayor at an early stage, out of politeness and to get off on the right foot,. Not this week though, in case a different mayor gets voted in after the local elections next weekend!
In a biggish town or city the mayor doesn't know every resident and doesn't give a stuff who moves in or out.
Either your colleague is pulling your leg, or if not, I would take their advice with a pinch of salt in the future.
Well that's a relief, had visions of not even getting off the starting blocks
We would like somewhere that's quite rural so I suspect where ever we choose we will search out the mayor to do our bit of travelling, many thanks for the help and advice
Old Mar 9th 2020, 10:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a relief, had visions of not even getting off the starting blocks
We would like somewhere that's quite rural so I suspect where ever we choose we will search out the mayor to do our bit of travelling, many thanks for the help and advice
Popping in to introduce yourself to the Maire does no harm, especially in a small town or village. You can find out about local clubs and societies while your at it, which is a good way of becoming known around the community.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

In a small commune the mayor the local councillors and the staff will know a lot of things/people/ways round things etc so always take time to visit them and introduce yourself and I would always drop off some chocs at Easter and Xmas( I do the same at our local notaires office as well) A couple of years back I was cut off from phone and internet for 5 weeks despite FT saying there was not a problem In desperation I popped in to the Mayor who gave FT a roasting-I think he knew someone who knew someone and a couple of days later an engineer turned up and checked everything finding out it was a defective wire from the pole to my house so yes butter em up
Old Mar 9th 2020, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for responding, my wife and I can carry on learning French for beginners
We will certainly follow your advice