Last throes?

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last throes?

Originally Posted by jsbach
Although I sold my house in France some years back, I feel an affinity for BE and will certainly hang around.
I was helped through a tricky situation some years back by BE members, where Eurotrash was particularly attentive and knowledgeable.
Yay!! Good for you. Please keep posting.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

I joined another France forum some months ago and unsubscribed about 3 weeks later. I don't remember getting any really good advice on there and many of the posts ranged from passive aggressive to just plain stroppy. With help on here, on the other hand, I have managed to navigate everything France has thrown at me so far.
I have to admit I was probably responsible for one poster leaving this site in anger, not because I was rude about his anti-EU and climate change denying stances, but because I simply said I would leave the discussion. It was a shame since his thread was interesting and I would have continued reading it even though I disagreed hugely with some of his attitudes. I know some of the members here tried to get him to stay, but as far as I am aware it wasn't to be. Since that is the only time I've noticed any real upset here I think this is a fantastic asset for newcomers like me.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 7:31 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

***Warning*** Pseudo alien post incoming...

I watch the France forum all the time, I rarely post here myself, but still feel a huge Romande/Helvetique attachment.

Originally Posted by cyrian
The french forum is quite a gentle forum which doesn't get very political and rarely shouty or personal.
Which is exactly why I come here, to an oasis of calm in times of need.

Was thinking of posting on the recent flans/croissants thing... it would be an aside, but an extremely good use of 'what to do with leftover croissants at lunchtime'.

I haven't posted this due to (a) it happened in London 30 years ago and (b) 'twas a German behind it anyway...
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 12:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As folks can see from my signature, years ago I intended us to move somewhat to France but we took a bit of a wrong turn.
My thoughts of living sometimes in France and sometimes in the UK have not left me.

ps - I have an Irish passport.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

fishrock is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only just joined and it was because of the apparent lack of shouty posts. It seems relatively happy though I have yet to feel the warmth.
I will post when something grabs my attention.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You must be the only person in France that is not feeling the warmth.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
You must be the only person in France that is not feeling the warmth.
What about those of us here who are married to an ice-queen..........
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 4:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
What about those of us here who are married to an ice-queen..........
I had a 99 ice-cream yesterday in Whitley Bay,,,,, Oh, hang on.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 9:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishrock
I have only just joined and it was because of the apparent lack of shouty posts. It seems relatively happy though I have yet to feel the warmth.
I will post when something grabs my attention.
I certainly have (felt warmth) during my recent troubles, I was touched by members' kind thoughts last year and encouragements this year, which warmed the cockles of my heart. (And did you all know that this expression comes from the Latin for the ventricles? Another bit of useless info to take your mind off the present heatwave....)
Old Jul 26th 2019, 1:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Well I discovered the "êtes-vous chaud?" can be interrupted in a way that brings a smile to some folks face...
Old Jul 26th 2019, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Well I discovered the "êtes-vous chaud?" can be interrupted in a way that brings a smile to some folks face...
I think there you may be referring to one of my past posts. Maybe worth a reminder for those who may not have seen it:-

Years ago introducing a work colleague to my future mother-in-law on a hot August afternoon, he shook her hand and blurted out (in worse than DelBoy Trotter style), "Bonjour, je suis Dave,........um.......je suis tres chaud!"
My French wasn't good at the time but even then I cringed at what I'd heard. What he'd effectively said was, "My name's Dave, and I'm hot stuff".
Most here will already know that the adjective 'hot' is used with avoir (to have hot), and not the verb etre/to be.
I made a few howlers myself but fortunately not that one.
Perhaps I should add that at the time the m-i-l was a fairly young widow, but what matey had said I knew was without any ulterior motive. He was just far too adventurous with his very little French and had a frequent habit of embarrasing and also amusing us at the same time.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 26th 2019 at 6:40 pm.