Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Language the only barrier

Language the only barrier

Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language the only barrier

Originally Posted by stanage2
I think they call it inflation.
And in some parts, the French say,it is the people from outside France that have added to it.
now you are digressing - not a good way to win an arguement
Inflation is a fact of life everywhere, and immigrants to every country are blamed for all sorts of woes.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:13 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by val50
now you are digressing - not a good way to win an arguement
Inflation is a fact of life everywhere, and immigrants to every country are blamed for all sorts of woes.
Sorry not trying to win,passed that silly game.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:22 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by val50
I think we have very few members on here who try to hold on to the way of life they had before moving to France.

Abso-blooming-lutely!!

We all crave certain foods now and again that are unavailable, but I think for the most part, people move to France because they like France. I've seen few expats buying the ridiculously priced cans of Heinz baked beans and bottles of worcestershire sauce - mostly tourists and locals! Certainly the expats I know, including myself and my scattered family, avoid English brands like the plague. I do have a vice,and that's gravy! If I don't have gravy granules though, I make it the old fashioned way with a cube d'or and flour.

I pride myself on how little we manage to live on, and this was part of the plan - a fair swap for working like maniacs with luxuries in Britain - to a lifestyle more relaxed, more leisure time and a lot less money.

So stop with the all encompassing judgemental statements please Stanage, as my Nan says - you can't judge a man till you have walked a mile in his shoes! Feel free to pop round, I have a lovely pair of slingbacks that would look great on you!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:30 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Abso-blooming-lutely!!

We all crave certain foods now and again that are unavailable, but I think for the most part, people move to France because they like France. I've seen few expats buying the ridiculously priced cans of Heinz baked beans and bottles of worcestershire sauce - mostly tourists and locals! Certainly the expats I know, including myself and my scattered family, avoid English brands like the plague. I do have a vice,and that's gravy! If I don't have gravy granules though, I make it the old fashioned way with a cube d'or and flour.

I pride myself on how little we manage to live on, and this was part of the plan - a fair swap for working like maniacs with luxuries in Britain - to a lifestyle more relaxed, more leisure time and a lot less money.

So stop with the all encompassing judgemental statements please Stanage, as my Nan says - you can't judge a man till you have walked a mile in his shoes! Feel free to pop round, I have a lovely pair of slingbacks that would look great on you!
Sorry far to busy,for silly (try) jokes.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:04 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stanage2
Sorry far to busy,for silly (try) jokes.
Stan try this HERE It will give you a grounded idea of what inflation is and how the whole world can effect something as silly as the price of Eggs.

IE

Chinese eat more meat. = higher demand for meat = cost to produce goes up = increase in Grain based feeds for animals = shortage of grain's for humans = cost goes up it an endless relationship.

In conclusion it doesn't matter what you buy or were you buy it it's price is linked to every other product on the shelf. The problem is and you see this in France a lot they are always Quick to put the price up but it takes a long time to come down. It not until you shop around you notice how much some of these supermarket chains are skimming off the top.

The best thing all the Governments can do to stifle this issue is introduce heavy windfall taxes because a lot of Companies and Energy suppliers seem to be doing very well in this so called time of hardship.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Stan try this HERE It will give you a grounded idea of what inflation is and how the whole world can effect something as silly as the price of Eggs.

IE

Chinese eat more meat. = higher demand for meat = cost to produce goes up = increase in Grain based feeds for animals = shortage of grain's for humans = cost goes up it an endless relationship.

In conclusion it doesn't matter what you buy or were you buy it it's price is linked to every other product on the shelf. The problem is and you see this in France a lot they are always Quick to put the price up but it takes a long time to come down. It not until you shop around you notice how much some of these supermarket chains are skimming off the top.

The best thing all the Governments can do to stifle this issue is introduce heavy windfall taxes because a lot of Companies and Energy suppliers seem to be doing very well in this so called time of hardship.

Sorry but i am not your Granny
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:50 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Methinks tis what is referred to an "interdependent economics" situation - and no, don't worry, I won't go into that.

But, like Jazz, I do have some wonderful Jimmy Choo's (got in a charity shop for 85p) somewhere for you Stan, although I would advise practising "on the flat" before tackling any stairs or you will need that medical insurance ....

Oh and if you want to suffer some more, have your legs waxed, and please get a video of it to put on here - we all need a laugh.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Methinks tis what is referred to an "interdependent economics" situation - and no, don't worry, I won't go into that.

But, like Jazz, I do have some wonderful Jimmy Choo's (got in a charity shop for 85p) somewhere for you Stan, although I would advise practising "on the flat" before tackling any stairs or you will need that medical insurance ....

Oh and if you want to suffer some more, have your legs waxed, and please get a video of it to put on here - we all need a laugh.
Pray please carry on,its the internet,not my front room.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:22 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it, this whole thing, language ability, how much one needs to live on, where one chooses to live and why is totally about personal choice and personal circumstances and also, the different ways in which we all live.

I have managed on very little for a while now - it aint much fun, but I do manage.

And yes, I get mad sometimes if I can't afford to buy soft toilet rolls (wretched cheap things, but again, one adjusts, simply DON'T eat curry ....) or the odd treat, but the key is - what are people's priorities. Everyone needs a list - a list of what there is no way one could do without - it will be quite different for most people, depending on budget, income, outgoings etc. Some people I know will not EVER sacrifice having their hair done once a month - they'd rather die, but that to me is not and never will be important. Others would gladly get in debt to avoid giving up their 2 weeks getting "off their faces" on the Costa del Bletted.

And another list of things that could be managed without. I choose to smoke - expensive and unnecessary, but I choose to do it, and reduce my food bill, social life budget, etc etc to compensate for that.

And some folk over in France may not need to work, so they don't need to be proficient fluent French speakers - and they will manage without work. Others will be dependent on getting work and therefore, as has been said on here, will need to prioritise that and learn the language accordingly.

One thing that is clear and will affect each and every one of us - times are changing. Things will be dearer for a while - who knows how long for. Some of us will find this adjustment a bit easier than others - for lots of different reasons. My mum came round this morning, she was a youngster when the war was on, and she said she still remembers never having seen an orange until some American troops went past her house and chucked some out of their truck to her - she was about 4 I think.

And now, most folk would take the ability to buy oranges completely for granted.

All we can know with clarity is that some people will need to be more flexible and adaptable and some will find the changes easier to cope with than others.

Ka Ora is right about windfall taxes - Val is right about inflation, all good points.

Me, I will hunker down and get on with it and pretend it's like the war all over again - then, the things were not on the shelves to buy even if one had money. Now, the things are on the shelves but if one has not the money one can't have them. I just pretend I'm on rations, like my nan used to describe to me - sugar one week, and make it last, butter the following week and make it last etc etc. I always ring fence my Jack Daniels budget but again, my choice

C'est la vie!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Well said Andy.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Well said Andy.
As above. Well said
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:06 am
Grey Bombshell

Oh blimey, suppose if I'm not careful you guys might begin to think i've got common sense or am normal or something.

Make the most of it, it won't last .....
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Oh blimey, suppose if I'm not careful you guys might begin to think i've got common sense or am normal or something.

Make the most of it, it won't last .....
Grand Ville today

Best White spuds

Carrefore 10Kgs 4.95
Auchan 5 Kgs 2.80
Lidl 5Kgs 2.75
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

Just to add some fuel on the fire, about language being (or not) the only barrier to finding employment here in France:

When I came BACK to France 7 years ago (after decades spent in England), I registered with ANPE (Job Centre) in Montpellier and looked for work. I had expected to find something (even selling baguettes in a baker), since I am totally fluent in both French and English. I even went to see an ANPE work advisor weekly for 3 months: she helped me to write my CV and "lettre de motivation", and to apply for some suitable jobs, even though I was overeducated, overqualified and overexperienced for most of them. I was really prepared to take on virtually any kind of work, but my age was against me (50).

Sadly, it never went anywhere. In the end I did find occasional, undeclared work - but nothing that would have been enough to support myself (fortunately no dependents!).

I do have a number of younger French friends who are unable to find suitable employment, in spite of their qualifications.

There will be the odd exception, but on the whole, if someone doesn't even speak French, I imagine their chances of finding any kind of employment are rather slim - certainly in the Languedoc area where unemployment is higher than in other parts of the country.

Moving to France with a job lined up, with a regular pension, or with very serious capital and private income, that makes sense. But without either, and with a young family to support and no substantial capital, it seems to me very dodgy indeed these days.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Karunia
Your post echoes very much what I know is the experience of many people I have met - sometimes I think when I post people will think I am such a pessimist, so thanks for backing me up! I know some ex-pats over here, the husband has no real trade, his wife has been told by the job centre that she will never get a "proper" job over here, she has I think maybe a few O levels and has never had a French lesson over here, assuming she can or has picked it up. Yet she thinks she will get a job in admin. Why? She tried and failed to get seasonal cleaning work . Frankly I think they are kidding themselves if they think they can get by here. It is a slippery slope indeed.

Others I know, now gone back to the UK (now divorced) spent the first year, by all accounts sat outside, admiring the view and drinking wine. None of them wanted to go back, least of all the children but there was, in the end, no option, but at least they were big enough to admit it !

I just wanted to point out (again, sorry!) that moving here doesn't work for everyone, as has been said no two set of circumstances or lifestyles are the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.