Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Language the only barrier

Language the only barrier

Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Language the only barrier

Originally Posted by Polly B
wouldn`t that take ages though? especially for near novices like us
We`d need to be looking for jobs pretty much as soon as we arrive
Hi Polly

I know I have posted on this matter before, but having been here over four years and meeting loads of ex-pats, I can assure you that getting work here is really hard, even if you have the language skills. I don't want to be a killjoy, really I don't but I know of two families who have gone back in the past few months, because they can't find work or can't earn enough on one wage to support a small family . I have a french friend who has a splendid CV (had a private meeting with US President etc), she currently works for the family firm, she has applied for other jobs but to no avail, she reckons there are 15 people for each job, minimum. I have another friend (teacher) who has been here 25+years and struggles to find work (she spent most of last year working in a care home in the UK)

You must realise that if you are an employer you have to pay immense social contributions and so to employ anyone is cripplingly expensive - one reason we don't want to employ anyone! Many workers are on fixed contracts as it can be very difficult to get rid of an employee.
There are loads of postings on employment on this forum, I recommend you read them. If you have a qualification it may be possible to convert this to a French certificate but as I understand it these are limited. (My design degree would be worth zip! ) Qualifications are a must-have here. Preferably French qualifications.

I personally wouldn't advise anyone to move over here without any income, especially if they have a family to feed. Sorry to be blunt, but I like to think am a realist . Frankly it can be tough with an income

It might take ages to learn French but it would take you even longer to get a job without it. Depends how committed you are, 120% minimum is about right

They used to say that living in France was cheaper than the UK, this may be so but the wages are less, often a lot less so it balances out. Supermarket prices are going up here just as in the UK, it is Europewide if not global. There are six in our house and I'm certainly noticing the price rises

So I'm sorry, this is not what you want to hear but you should be absolutely sure you can make this work, do your homework! Many things are more difficult here, if I was in the UK for instance I would have gone back to uni, don't have that option here.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that you are in this league, but when I told a neighbour in the UK we were moving to France, she said "ooh, we had thought about moving to France", oh, I said, really, "yeah, but we've never been to France... "

Sue
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:05 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elainelarkincarroll
Not sure which supermarkets youl have but in the Perpignan and Montpellier areas (2 of which I have lived in in the past 7 months) the shops are very expensive. Carefour is probably the most reasonable or Auchen. I have a family, for a family of 4 my groceries come to over 160 euros a week - if I am lucky - and believe you me that is without any wine or other luxuary items. So I'll have what you've got if it's in France that is!!?
If you stay wth your British way of eating yes Trop Chere,but if you changed to the local way,you can save Euros.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:08 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Stan, some people prefer to keep their cats and dogs as pets.

Hope you had a good holiday - go somewhere nice?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:13 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Stan, some people prefer to keep their cats and dogs as pets.

Hope you had a good holiday - go somewhere nice?
Can suck eggs thank you

Yes it was good.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:19 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Stan, one of these days, I'll find that sense of humour you have lurking somewhere and make you laugh!!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Aw c'mon Stanage, prices here in the supermarkets are just as dear as the UK now, maybe more - potatoes nearly 5 Euros for a sack of 5 kilos and sprouts so expensive we are rationed to 5 each! I've noticed a sharp increase in prices over the last 3 years.

Or maybe you have found a bargain basement? I use SuperU and Lidl, where do you shop?
Potatoes at almost 1 € a kilo? They must be "bio" at that price and there comes a point when you have to choose between ecology and economy.... Also, I never eat sprouts in France, i) they are too expensive (and ii) OH doesn't like them anyway.) I eat them (and parsnips, unheard of in my area) in England when I go over on a visit and that suffices! It's certainly true that even humble veg like carrots, turnips, cabbage, have gone up in price in recent years. But then, so have wages.....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:26 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Potatoes at almost 1 € a kilo? They must be "bio" at that price and there comes a point when you have to choose between ecology and economy.... Also, I never eat sprouts in France, i) they are too expensive (and ii) OH doesn't like them anyway.) I eat them (and parsnips, unheard of in my area) in England when I go over on a visit and that suffices! It's certainly true that even humble veg like carrots, turnips, cabbage, have gone up in price in recent years. But then, so have wages.....
Well it's not like we need the ecology, Chuck it out. The economy wins hands down.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
Just as i said.
Eat the French way.
Forget English food.
Eat a good diet.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by stanage2
Just as i said.
Eat the French way.
Forget English food.
Eat a good diet.
Not all French food is good for you......

French Fries have loads of saturated fat in them.....

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Sep 16th 2008 at 7:41 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Not all French food is good for you......

French Fries have loads of saturated fat in them.....

Tell us.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:45 pm

Tell us.
What would the Royal We like to know.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:47 pm
Grey Bombshell

I thought Stan might be doing a "Gollum" impression
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:00 pm
Banned

POSTS 39 AND 40 POST AT SAME TIME
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:01 pm
Banned

You better ring and ask HER;
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:13 pm

You better ring and ask HER;
She phones me when required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.