Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

L/H drive car or R/H drive?

L/H drive car or R/H drive?

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

chrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nice
Default L/H drive car or R/H drive?

Hi all, can anyone advise as to which would be best to opt for when moving to France i.e.Bring over my current R/H drive Honda CRV (automatic) or buy a L/H drive car, I'd prefer to keep my own car to be honest but is R/H safe to use on French roads? Thanks in advance for any advice Chris
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L/H drive car or R/H drive?

It really is personal choice, or circumstances!
I prefer LH as it makes life easier for me in France. Hubby needed a car last year while working in the uk so ended up with a RH drive and he is happy enough with it!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisnjac
Hi all, can anyone advise as to which would be best to opt for when moving to France i.e.Bring over my current R/H drive Honda CRV (automatic) or buy a L/H drive car, I'd prefer to keep my own car to be honest but is R/H safe to use on French roads? Thanks in advance for any advice Chris
There are quite a number of threads on here discussing the pros /and cons of both.
From experience having had both here in France, there's no way I would again want the hassle of bringing a UK vehicle onto the French register. Not to mention the potential dangers of overtaking, and difficulties encountered with stations à péages on autoroutes and multi-storey parkings - especially without passenger assistance.
My advise is to buy a new or s/h L/H drive vehicle. There is such a slump in car sales recently that garages are ready to offer crazy deals to prospective customers.
And get to know which vehicles are the best value for money. For example you can get discounts on Honda (I have a fairly new one which I negotiated on ferociously) but there are far better discounts on other makes. If you need further info on new models and best possible available discounts - just ask here.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrisnjac
Hi,
If you're coming over to France for any length of time (say a year or more) then there is really no point in messing about with a RHD car. A car's just a box with a wheel at each corner after all, and French cars, would you believe it, are just the same as British ones, the pedals are the same (people have asked me if the pedals change feet...) and lo and behold, when the steering wheel is on the left hand side and one is driving on the right-hand side of the road, life suddenly becomes much easier. As regards safety, the answer is obvious. Seeing round vehicles in front to overtake, having the headlights set for the right side of the road, not getting stopped by the police to see if you're legally entitled to drive an RDH car in France etc.
When one opts to live in a foreign country, there is always a phase when only what one had before seems acceptable. But in order to fit rapidly into one's new country, it is far better to forgo things that don't matter, like RDH cars, as soon as possible, and go with the flow. Unless it's an SS Jaguar, Morgan or supercharged Bentley of course, but don't give yourself grief for a Honda. They can be bought here too.....
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

chrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nice

Thanks for the advice everyone, seems that going for the LHD option is favourite. cheers Chris.