British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Just moved to France! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/just-moved-france-928810/)

Celesteb Oct 25th 2019 9:03 am

Just moved to France!
 
Hi there,
My name is Celeste and three weeks ago my husband and I moved from Kent to a little village near Moissac in Tarn et Garonne. Would love to chat to new people and hopefully get more information on life out here.
Thanks

dmu Oct 25th 2019 9:40 am

Re: Just moved to France!
 

Originally Posted by Celesteb (Post 12753753)
Hi there,
My name is Celeste and three weeks ago my husband and I moved from Kent to a little village near Moissac in Tarn et Garonne. Would love to chat to new people and hopefully get more information on life out here.
Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
The village where you are living (as per your other post) has fewer than 500 inhabitants, but you can go along to the Mairie to ask whether there are clubs and associations which you could join to meet new people with the same interests. Likewise Moissac which should have many more opportunities....
You haven't said whether you're working (salaried, self-employed), job-seeking, "inactive" or retired) - your compulsory healthcare coverage depends on your employment status. If you need advice on that and other practical issues, don't hesitate to ask! Meanwhile take a look at the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above, which cover most aspects of living in France.
HTH

Celesteb Oct 25th 2019 9:59 am

Re: Just moved to France!
 
Thanks so much for the reply. I’ll certainly go to the Mairie and see what advice I can get. I’m not working and my husband is still working in the U.K on a two week on, two week off basis.
I think my main problem is that my French is very basic, (I am learning) therefore two weeks on my own are proving to be a bit isolating. I’d love to join groups but can’t seem to find anything near me!

dmu Oct 25th 2019 10:44 am

Re: Just moved to France!
 

Originally Posted by Celesteb (Post 12753770)
Thanks so much for the reply. I’ll certainly go to the Mairie and see what advice I can get. I’m not working and my husband is still working in the U.K on a two week on, two week off basis.
I think my main problem is that my French is very basic, (I am learning) therefore two weeks on my own are proving to be a bit isolating. I’d love to join groups but can’t seem to find anything near me!

You should find out about your healthcare coverage which you need to justify when you apply for residency after 3 months.
I understand it's a problem for you when you're on your own. Presumably you haven't got a dog? When we had ours, it was a great ice-breaker, just walking around the village. Maybe there are French classes for foreigners in Moissac? The Mairie there should have lots of advice.
AFAIK there aren't all that many BE members in your area, but we're all here to advise on a national scale!:)


cyrian Oct 25th 2019 12:23 pm

Re: Just moved to France!
 
Hi
If your OH is working in the UK for 2 weeks then he is living in France for 2 weeks and his home/family are in France then he will be tax resident in France and will have to complete a French tax return.
The rules for tax residency are complex but are basically you are resident where your family photos are on the mantelpiece.

EuroTrash Oct 25th 2019 2:36 pm

Re: Just moved to France!
 

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12753811)
Hi
If your OH is working in the UK for 2 weeks then he is living in France for 2 weeks and his home/family are in France then he will be tax resident in France and will have to complete a French tax return.
The rules for tax residency are complex but are basically you are resident where your family photos are on the mantelpiece.

He could be on a cross border worker arrangement (up to Brexit at any rate) if HMRC have given approval. In which case the household will declare global income in France but the income tax on the work he does in the UK would be paid to the UK.
It's no big deal either way, the tax will probably work out roughly the same. I'm sure Celesteb will be on top of it when the time comes.
Welcome, and enjoy France! As said there will probably be associations you can join. What hobbies do you have - painting? walking? sports? There are plenty hobbies where you don't have to do a lot of talking, and being around French people with shared interests is a great way to improve your French.



Celesteb Oct 25th 2019 4:42 pm

Re: Just moved to France!
 
Thanks Eurotrash
You’re right, hobbies are a great way to connect with people. I guess it’s still early days (3 weeks in) and I’m sure I’ll meet new people in due course. Everyone has been so friendly and helpful on here so thanks for that.
So far, so good here in France. I’m loving it!

Tweedpipe Oct 26th 2019 8:39 am

Re: Just moved to France!
 

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12753811)
Hi
If your OH is working in the UK for 2 weeks then he is living in France for 2 weeks and his home/family are in France then he will be tax resident in France and will have to complete a French tax return.
The rules for tax residency are complex but are basically you are resident where your family photos are on the mantelpiece.

Hi Cyrian,
we used to have a photo of Mme TP's mother (my m-i-l) on the mantelpiece. It's no longer there. Does that mean I'm no longer resident......? :sneaky:

cyrian Oct 26th 2019 8:49 am

Re: Just moved to France!
 
Not at all.
The code civil gives an exemption for photos of m-i-l s. :rofl:

Tweedpipe Oct 26th 2019 2:53 pm

Re: Just moved to France!
 

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12754125)
Not at all.
The code civil gives an exemption for photos of m-i-l s. :rofl:

Phew, that's a relief. For a moment I thought I might by be an undesirable alien. (Which of course, the m.i.l. always thought I was)! :o

Chris1878 Oct 31st 2019 12:04 pm

Re: Just moved to France!
 
HI Celeste,

Myself, my wife, 3 year old daughter and my 75yo mother have just moved to near Montcuq, we would be more than happy to meet for a coffee as we don't know anyone! Likewise any other people or especially families with young children living in and around the area please do get in touch as it would be great to meet.

Chris


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:41 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.