Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Just arrived in France

Just arrived in France

Old Dec 2nd 2020, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

greenhamsarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just arrived in France

Hi everyone , I’ve just arrived in Issoire in the middle of France. Can anyone give any advice on registering myself living here . Need to do that quick sharp before the end of this year )) . My French is average but I understand more than I can speak . Would be nice to meet british people if there are any here lol thanks sarH
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived in France

Hi Sarah, you don't have to do anything about registering or apply for a residence permit before the end of the year.
All you have to do is ensure that you have all your paperwork in order and dated prior to 31st Dec. Depending on what your status is in France, that will probably include a rental contract or an acte de vente, utlility bills, proof that you have health insurance in place, and an employment contract or proof of pension or investment income or whatever sources of income you have.

Thenyou need to apply via the online portal and submit these documents, but you have until the end of June (or is it July) to do this. The important thing is that all your supporting documents are dated 2020 not 2021 but there is no rush in submitting them. For people who have only just arrived and haven't had utilities bills in their own name yet, they won't necessarily have all the required documents to hand before the end of the year so t may be better to wait a few months

The English version web portal is here https://contacts-demarches.interieur...t-application/ and it really is very simple. Bon courage!
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou so much , that is a relief I thought they all had to be in before the end of the year .
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenhamsarah
Hi everyone , I’ve just arrived in Issoire in the middle of France. Can anyone give any advice on registering myself living here . Need to do that quick sharp before the end of this year )) . My French is average but I understand more than I can speak . Would be nice to meet british people if there are any here lol thanks sarH
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I would add that it's not compulsory to even introduce yourselves at the Mairie, but they can give you a list of all the Clubs and Associations in the town which you could join (when Covid permits), and meet people of like interests. There aren't all that many BE members in the 63, but we can all help and advise on "national" issues.
Take a look at the "Covid" thread which gives up-to-date info on the Covid restrictions between now and 20th January 2021 (just in case your French isn't good enough to follow the French News....)
Are you working? retired? "inactive"? Your healthcare coverage depends on your status and you should have private healthcare insurance if you aren't contributing into the French S.S.System one way or another, as one of the conditions when applying for Residency in 2021.
Does "I" mean you alone, or have you got family with you?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions, but we'll need more info on yourself in order to advise best!
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks very much . I have a weeks trial coming up work wise not far from Le Mans on a farm /stable training horses . So if all goes well they will sort that for me . Just me for now . )).
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks very much . I have a weeks trial coming up work wise not far from Le Mans on a farm /stable training horses . So if all goes well they will sort that for me . Just me for now . )).
Le Mans? But you'll be residing in Issoire?
I forgot to mention the thread titles concerning Covid restrictions: "Updated Covid-related restrictions" and "Transiting through France during Covid". You'll need to download the Attestation when you travel to and from Le Mans, ticking each time the "déplacement professionnel" box and carrying documents concerning your trial and justification of your domicile for when you return (sorry, I haven't got the latest Attestation to hand for the actual wording of the Attestation). No need for an Attestation if your trial starts aftert 15th December....
HTH
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Trial starts on the 13th and if all goes well I’ll be living there
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds great. I like the area around Le Mans
Just make sure you have your CDD contract showing your start date as 13 Dec, and that your employer has done all the admin on their side such as declaring you as an employee to URSSAF before you start work, etc. French employment law is very precise and has to be followed step by step but if they've employed staff before they'll know what to do.
Presumably you haven't bothered taking out private health insurance since you will enter the state health system as soon as you start work, but that probably means that the official date you started residing in France will have to be the date on your contract, because I don't think any time you spent here without healthcare in place would be counted towards legal residence. Could be wrong though but either way, a week or two at this stage won't make much difference.
All the best, exciting times ahead!

Old Dec 3rd 2020, 9:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trial starts on the 13th and if all goes well I’ll be living there
Good luck!
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

You will soon discover that having your paperwork sorted is so important here in France Are your employers French ?
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

No they are from Denmark but have lived here for a long time
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking about saying I’m a jobseeker until I’m certain I have the job . To be on the safe side
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was thinking about saying I’m a jobseeker until I’m certain I have the job . To be on the safe side
If you didn't move as a jobseeker I don't think you can suddenly decide you will be one. Being a "jobseeker" who is protected under the WA is a very specific status, you won't be categorised as a "jobseeker" if you just rock up and start looking for work. You need to read the Withdrawal Agreement and follow up the references but basically I think you need to have been registered as a jobseeker in the UK and in receipt of benefits immediately before leaving the UK and maybe for a certain period of time prior to that. Then you need to tell DWP you're moving to France to look for work and obtain paperwork from them. Then when you arrive in France you take your DWP paperwork to the pôle emploi and register with them, and jump through the normal hoops with PE - regular interviews with your advisor, actively applying for work etc - and the UK will keep paying your benefits and covering your healthcare in France for up to 6 months (I think). As a jobseeker who has never worked in France you don't qualify for normal CdS but as long as your paperwork is in order you'll get a document that allows you to stay in France for an intial period of 6 months or until you find a job, whichever is sooner. If you find a job you apply for a normal CdS as a worker. If you haven't found a job by the end of 6 months your permission to stay in France will be reviewed but not automatically renewed, it depends how high they rate your chances of finding work.
https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/...-d-emploi.html
"Will British jobseekers be entitled to a residence permit?
Two situations should be considered:
  •  
    • If the British national, beneficiary of the withdrawal agreement, looking for a job has already worked in France, he or she will be issued a residence permit valid for 5 years.
    • If the British national, beneficiary of the withdrawal agreement, enters in France with the aim of looking for a job and has therefore never exercised a professional activity in France, he will be issued an APS (admission exceptionnelle au séjour), valid for 6 months and renewable once, if he is able to prove that he is actually looking for a job and that he has a real chance of being hired within a reasonable period of time.

and
"A19 Under the terms of the withdrawal agreement: Jobseekers receiving unemployment benefits from the UK in consideration of the last job held in the UK and who move to France are covered by UK social security legislation. Any contributions due on their unemployment benefits are paid to the UK. Jobseekers not receiving benefits from the UK and living in France (case of frontier workers and, in certain circumstances, individuals who lived in a Member State other the relevant Member State in their last job) receive unemployment benefits in France. Tax and social security contributions on these unemployment benefits are due in France."

From what you have said I am getting a wee bit concerned that this one-week trial is an unofficial arrangement. Working unregistered and unpaid is not allowed by the French labour code. Trial periods are allowed but there must be a fixed-term employment contract in place setting out all the details of the arrangement - how long the trial period is, what your duties are, what the pay is, etc. I trust they have given you a contract and declared you to URSSAF?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Dec 3rd 2020 at 3:36 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 3:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

From what you have said I am getting a wee bit concerned that this one-week trial is an unofficial arrangement. Working unregistered and unpaid is not allowed by the French labour code. Trial periods are allowed but there must be a fixed-term employment contract in place setting out all the details of the arrangement - how long the trial period is, what your duties are, what the pay is, etc. I trust they have given you a contract and declared you to URSSAF?
Oh my goodness, this has reminded me of a member in the Savoie who worked on trial for a week for nothing.
@ Sarah - another point, you say that you'll be "living there", if all goes well. Do you mean living on the spot, with board and lodging included in the contract as from 13th December?
I would ask them to send you the CDD (for the trial period) so that you can take your time to read it through and understand it before you arrive. Btw, it must be in French, otherwise it's not valid. The potential employers may have lived here for a long time, but do they know all the present legal/administrative aspects of hiring employees?
Sorry to be the Devil's Advocate, but I wouldn't want you to end up like the other member....
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou all I’m a bit concerned myself. He has said he will do a contract and register me properly if all goes well during my weeks trial . I have been accepted for a job teaching English to kids too through an agency and they do provide contracts , get social security number etc .... it’s very difficult as I would prefer the horse job as it’s my area of expertise etc but I want to be able to prove I’ve been living here in 2020. I know this must seem very last minute and it is )) as I was stuck in Morocco through the lockdown and unable to leave . So now I’m in a panic )))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.