Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Job Opportunities

Job Opportunities

Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

watern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Opportunities

We are looking to re locate to France and would like to know how we can get a job without currently speaking much of the language.

I am a 43 year successful Retail Regional manager with many years experience in the High street and have many transferable competencies.

My partner has many years experience in working with children with learning difficulties and is currently also doing a degree on O.U in childcare.

We have a three year old daughter also who is desperate to learn French

Can anyone offer some advise as to where we can look?

We do not necessarily require work in our current fields but are looking to downsize and get a better quality of life together away from the Rat race?

Love the countryside, would consider working alongside a growing business ventures, just need an opportunity and we can supply the rest!

sounds familiar i know..

We want to rent initially either in Montauban region or in the limoges region?
We are so desperate to leave this isle and start afresh in France.
We speak little french at present but we are both learning.
We are hard working commited and responsible people who just need a lead to get us on our way

Any advice or leads would be great?

Anyone with any thoughts would be appreciated please
Thanks in advance

Neil
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:35 pm
TW1
Just Joined

TW1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Opportunities

Hi,

I moved here to France the Dordogne area with my family mum, dad, husband and 2 small children 4 years ago - we bought a very run down campsite etc....
and have totally renovated it in to a great business including restaurant and bar.

But it has been very hard - to get along in France you must speak French - I only had school French. Most French people are willing to give English a go if you try with your French but on the whole if you don't speak any it is very hard to get by business wise. So I don't think getting a job here with a French company will happen.

On a postive note - my kids who are now 7 and 4 speak fluent French and are extremely happy in school - they play outside all day no computers or playstation.

I speak quite good French now and can deal with most red tape - which is available by the bucket load.

I don't want to damped your dreams but please don't come out here thinking it will be easy - the programmes on TV miss out a lot. Please do your homework on taxes and benefits. The plus side is schooling is excellent and the medical care is bril.

I hope I haven't put you off? And I wish you all the best in what you decide to do.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

TW1
Thanks for the advice

I guess there must be a lot ogf English expats who may have business's and would welcome perhaps some english workers?
We dont mind initially what we do, House sit look after hand overs on Gites or look after property etc or even work in a business that does not require immediate fluent french?
We do of course want to integrate and become part of french life but this will come as we live and work there.
We are determined to make this work and having been successful in our working careers, we have no doubts as to our abilites to succeed where we want to be.

Thanks for answering
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ros C is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Job Opportunities

My husband and I have just brought a farmhouse in the Limoges region, and plan to move out in about five years if all goes ok, and the job opportunities are there for us.
We will try to find out as much as we can on our visits to France, regarding the employment front and intent to take this time to learn the language.
We have met some lovely people so far.
Good luck

Ros C
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

doitnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hya
My partner and I moved out here in May last year, We live in the Tarn region, bout 10k from Albi - very beautiful, forgotten part of France. Fortunately we don't have to look for work just yet, have enough money for another year and a half. BUT we know the money is soon going to start going down, specially when we have done our 'gite' up, and that is when we are going to seriously have look for some work, cause we know the gite will only bring in a little money. We are finding that the language is probably the biggest drawback when looking for work - although to be honsest we haven't looked very hard to find jobs cause we want to concentrate soley on renovating the gite first - but talking to people, that is the general opinion - so learn the language.
Like the previous blog - don't come here thinking it is going to be easy cause it's not - but on a positive note - it's better than being in England and in that 'rat race', and if your prepared to give a bit of yourself - you'll meet some lovely people.
On another note - we may know of some house sitting that is available near the Castres area from September -I can't say for sure cause I'd have to confirm it with them - but it may be a start (unless you already have somewhere to live?)
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by doitnow
Hya
My partner and I moved out here in May last year, We live in the Tarn region, bout 10k from Albi - very beautiful, forgotten part of France. Fortunately we don't have to look for work just yet, have enough money for another year and a half. BUT we know the money is soon going to start going down, specially when we have done our 'gite' up, and that is when we are going to seriously have look for some work, cause we know the gite will only bring in a little money. We are finding that the language is probably the biggest drawback when looking for work - although to be honsest we haven't looked very hard to find jobs cause we want to concentrate soley on renovating the gite first - but talking to people, that is the general opinion - so learn the language.
Like the previous blog - don't come here thinking it is going to be easy cause it's not - but on a positive note - it's better than being in England and in that 'rat race', and if your prepared to give a bit of yourself - you'll meet some lovely people.
On another note - we may know of some house sitting that is available near the Castres area from September -I can't say for sure cause I'd have to confirm it with them - but it may be a start (unless you already have somewhere to live?)

Thanks for you advice
Yes we are determined to come to France and have relatives near Montauban so this was a region we are looking to go for.
Any leads would be good thank you reference your house sitting.
We are sure we will master the language but need a foothold first in france as i have said with English business forst then assimilate fully.
I wish you well in your continued work on your Gite
Im sure the weather is better than here today 12 degrees and grey!!
Thanks Again
Neil
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:17 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Its nice not having to work i would like to. i will be 37 this year my wife and i and our then 1 year old now five and a bit moved here with great intentions 2 months after we got here i had a heart attack then 4 or 5 months later a stroke they they found a anurisum on my heart and a hole between the ventricles all of these problems were sorted was back in good health and a large bit of wood hit me round the head very hard i spent sometime in a coma and then had to learn to walk talk and eat again so in all i have seen a lot of the local hospitals the service is outstanding it a pity that the french mans attitude is not the same in all walks of life. i have seen a lot of the world and this is with out a doubt the system the is the hardest to work around.

No paper saving here. got to cut all those trees down.

I wish you luck and good fortune on the new adventure ahead.

And i can still smile.

And i forgot we have just had our second child in france a loverly girl. who is six weeks old.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by visualbyte
Its nice not having to work i would like to. i will be 37 this year my wife and i and our then 1 year old now five and a bit moved here with great intentions 2 months after we got here i had a heart attack then 4 or 5 months later a stroke they they found a anurisum on my heart and a hole between the ventricles all of these problems were sorted was back in good health and a large bit of wood hit me round the head very hard i spent sometime in a coma and then had to learn to walk talk and eat again so in all i have seen a lot of the local hospitals the service is outstanding it a pity that the french mans attitude is not the same in all walks of life. i have seen a lot of the world and this is with out a doubt the system the is the hardest to work around.

No paper saving here. got to cut all those trees down.

I wish you luck and good fortune on the new adventure ahead.

And i can still smile.

And i forgot we have just had our second child in france a loverly girl. who is six weeks old.

Sounds like you have had a rough time.
Congratulations on the birth of your child and hope all goes well for you..
Let me know if the house sit sounds a goer though. Might be interested.
Cheers
Neil
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Hya

Thanks for that please can you let me know if that or any other opportunities arise
Thanks
Neil
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:07 am
Just Joined

cheeky_ monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by watern
TW1
Thanks for the advice

I guess there must be a lot ogf English expats who may have business's and would welcome perhaps some english workers?
We dont mind initially what we do, House sit look after hand overs on Gites or look after property etc or even work in a business that does not require immediate fluent french?
We do of course want to integrate and become part of french life but this will come as we live and work there.
We are determined to make this work and having been successful in our working careers, we have no doubts as to our abilites to succeed where we want to be.

Thanks for answering
if you know of anyone looking for perfectly bilingual brits giving out jobs- let me know!! [email protected]
i've been here for 20 years, and its 10 times harder getting jobs here than in the u.k.!!! i nearly moved back, as i could'nt find anything- dole for 2 years-and i've loads of experiance in practical fields..and could walk into reasonable employment in the u.k.
for the last couple of years ,there has been a mass exodus from france-mainly because of work, and i can say that when you've been unemployed for 3 or 5 years here you will take the move anywhere, which is what alot of frenchies do- ireland ,u.k.
10's of thousands of french leave every year for the uk or ireland for work.
the brits are'nt treated any better than anyother johnny foreigner in general, as the frenchies resent very much all the foreigners coming up and buying up all there property, and if you are british, they're attitude is that at least you are not arab, or black.
there is a very, very big rift, and racism is extreme here.
after 20 years living and working here i would say in many fields the following applys-
"if it works everywhere else in the world, it won't work in france"
being successfull in your career in the u.k. is nothing similar in france.
good luck
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_ monkey
if you know of anyone looking for perfectly bilingual brits giving out jobs- let me know!! [email protected]
i've been here for 20 years, and its 10 times harder getting jobs here than in the u.k.!!! i nearly moved back, as i could'nt find anything- dole for 2 years-and i've loads of experiance in practical fields..and could walk into reasonable employment in the u.k.
for the last couple of years ,there has been a mass exodus from france-mainly because of work, and i can say that when you've been unemployed for 3 or 5 years here you will take the move anywhere, which is what alot of frenchies do- ireland ,u.k.
10's of thousands of french leave every year for the uk or ireland for work.
the brits are'nt treated any better than anyother johnny foreigner in general, as the frenchies resent very much all the foreigners coming up and buying up all there property, and if you are british, they're attitude is that at least you are not arab, or black.
there is a very, very big rift, and racism is extreme here.
after 20 years living and working here i would say in many fields the following applys-
"if it works everywhere else in the world, it won't work in france"
being successfull in your career in the u.k. is nothing similar in france.
good luck
Again, as on another thread, I have to agree with cheeky monkey. Working in this country is an absolute nightmare. In fact I would go as far as to say that if you need to work, don't come! Seriously, you will not find work as a foreigner. Even the French can't get jobs. Only come if you're prepared to go on the dole. You won't do too badly either. I've worked all my life and am totally opposed to claimining benefits until now! This country makes it totally impossible for anyone to do well. Workers are totally suffocated and stifled. No exaggeration. Please do your research.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

need2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant future

we've been here for 4 years now, fortunately MOH still works overseas so his work issue hasn't been a problem. However, I've been searching for work with a reasonable level of French and have found they just don't want to know. Even working in a shop doesn't seem good enough, I haven't been looking at high tech jobs, just anything.

I have French friends who have had long standing jobs which are now being "finished" off and they can't find work in their fields. I also have another friend who has had to totally change career in order to work, which is virtually unheard of in France. Once you've chosen your career path from leaving school you have to stick with it. The choices and options are far less than UK.

Having said that finding work by working "benevole" - voluntary - for while is a possiblity if you can prove yourself, one friend has just managed to secure a part time job that way.

Good luck, it isn't all roses and the money soon runs out. Maybe the better option is to commute?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

cheeky_ monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herbie
Again, as on another thread, I have to agree with cheeky monkey. Working in this country is an absolute nightmare. In fact I would go as far as to say that if you need to work, don't come! Seriously, you will not find work as a foreigner. Even the French can't get jobs. Only come if you're prepared to go on the dole. You won't do too badly either. I've worked all my life and am totally opposed to claimining benefits until now! This country makes it totally impossible for anyone to do well. Workers are totally suffocated and stifled. No exaggeration. Please do your research.
i quite agree.
if you want to get on, are ambitious, have plans do yerself a favour-DON't think you can do it in france!!!
i could walk into a reasonable job in blighty, i mean really!!
i've been at the job lookout on and off for years, trying to get a reasonable career, the frenchies are bloody awefull to work with generally
if you think unemployment is bad in uk, try here its atrocious!!!!

i feel by reading some of the posts on this site, that the brits see some tv series about moving to france, and buying up and renovatiing a cheap place, and think its all hunky dory
now, THESE ARE THE WORDS OF GOD
god didnt write them i did after living here for 20 years!!!!

THE FRENCH DONT SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!
write this on a wall in very big letters
this is carved in granite!!!!!
YOU MUST LEARN FRENCH!!!!
and fluently!!!!
THIS IS NO BULL!!!!

many frenchies "seem alright"

LISTEN the vast majority of frenchies dont appreiciate johnny foreigners buying up their old buildings and stuff!!!

THEY DONT SPEAK ENGLISH, and you dont speak french!!
if you wanna work not having an exellant master of FRENCH-forget it!!!
ALOT OF FRENCHIES CANT BE BOTHER TO TAKE TIME OUT TO UNDERSTAND YOU!!!!
10000s of frenchies leave france because its stifled and you cannot get into a reasonable field!!!!
unless you are a self employed web designer or something, your own company -uk based!!!-and some cash up front, you have yer own clients, you are seriously wasting your time!!

i went to bucks recently, and i'm telling you, half the people i saw in buisenesse, shops working etc>.WOULD NEVER GET A JOB IN FRANCE!!
you would never see a french copper with a siehks turban!!!!
the frenchies generaly are always "anti this" or that as well, and i would say, even as a brit you will still get some flak.

really the best way is to absolutly master french, and work for a foreighn company in france!

FRANCE IS THE HARDEST PLACE IN EUROPE TO GET ON IN!!!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

susiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the rough

everyone is so right. you will not get the help from the officials the same as the french.

you must must must speak the language. i dont and am really strugling. silly things like setting lo's up at school is a nightmare if you don't have the language (my brothers just about fluent, so he helped a lot). day to day stuff like supermarkets you can get by. but anything official you need to understand and see the loop holes etc.

my family run a business where they employ 1 person (my brother) he's on minilul wage, and it still costs the business over €2k per month in taxes. my father works 7 days a week trying to pay the bills here. you simply can't run a business and employ staff. my brother isz going to have to be sacked, but you can't do that with out huge redunadncy charges. drives you insane

and, yes there is racisul here against the english. i have felt it in some regions. lived in one that was a nightmare. wasnt' just our family it was all the english that weren't larried ti french (funny that).

a lot of english want to work for the english (as most ofthe brits here don't speak french at all well) and its easuer to work for the english. so getting work that way i think you will find really hard. by the way i'm not far from limoge. about 1 hour, so can imagine the area to bez the same as here.

like the other have said i hope i have'nt dampened your spirit, but plz learn the language fluently befoire you move here as you will almost certainly struggle.

susi
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:15 am
Just Joined

sam_81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hya
I love the Tarn as well but be careful before moving. Make sure you have plenty of money to survive for at least a couple of years..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.