Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

It's Quiz Night

It's Quiz Night

Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:28 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: It's Quiz Night

Darn it, too easy! Well done Novo and you too, sdale!

Looks like you've answered sdale's first, Novo, so it's your turn now afterall!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol;
Darn it, too easy! Well done Novo and you too, sdale!

Looks like you've answered sdale's first, Novo, so it's your turn now afterall!
Oh. D'uuuuuh....give me a moment (I'll have to reflect over a cancer stick on this).

OK. What drink, popular today, originated in Aztec culture?

<arrgh. easy google>

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 24th 2008 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh. D'uuuuuh....give me a moment (I'll have to reflect over a cancer stick on this).

OK. What drink, popular today, originated in Aztec culture?

<arrgh. easy google>
Pulque or Pulquerias is the predecessor of the Tequila made from "aqua de miel" . and the worm is the best bit. not forgetting Mezcal which typically produces some pretty nasty headaches

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4...um=2&ct=result

https://www.craigs.de/en/craigs/crai...ila-guide.html

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 24th 2008 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Pulque or Pulquerias is the predecessor of the Tequila made from "aqua de miel" . and the worm is the best bit. not forgetting Mezcal which typically produces some pretty nasty headaches

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4...um=2&ct=result

https://www.craigs.de/en/craigs/crai...ila-guide.html
I know enough not to contradict you, but that's not what I have in mind.

Non-alcoholic drink. <shudder>
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

We're all loopy though.

Sorry, maybe deciphering your response would have been a good question for this quiz!!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

I know enough not to contradict you, but that's not what I have in mind.

Non-alcoholic drink. <shudder>
Easy one, chocolate originates with the Aztecs whi used it in aphrodisiac rituals. Its' modern solid form only came about in the 1860s in Paris, if my history is right.
Interestingly, the Aztec drink was full of hot spices and would probably be undrinkable for most of us.
I promise I didn't google this one!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

So, tell me, why DO the english drive on the left? (that's the easy part), and why were the french and the americans simultaneously responsible for the right hand drive rebellion?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by sdale100
So, tell me, why DO the english drive on the left? (that's the easy part), and why were the french and the americans simultaneously responsible for the right hand drive rebellion?
In 1773 the general highway and byways act was passed for a keep left policy, it was more of a peasants on the left nobles pass on the right this was also enforced earlier by Pope Benifice in the 1300 at the time the French kept left. In 1794 the French adopted the Keep right rule to be the opposite to the English and so did the Americans as their new world was being set up. All these traditions followed from the Horse and carrige to the Motor Car. The only exception was boats and sea faring vessles who throughout the world keep right.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

In 1773 the general highway and byways act was passed for a keep left policy, it was more of a peasants on the left nobles pass on the right this was also enforced earlier by Pope Benifice in the 1300 at the time the French kept left. In 1794 the French adopted the Keep right rule to be the opposite to the English and so did the Americans as their new world was being set up. All these traditions followed from the Horse and carrige to the Motor Car. The only exception was boats and sea faring vessles who throughout the world keep right.
I'll take that , but would also add the following :

"In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver's seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road."

See http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...ft.htm#history

Your turn Ka Ora
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:49 am

A two part question.

What are these symbols used in and what do they represent bonus points for exact match.

Group One
Attached Images    
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:50 am

Group Two
Attached Images     
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:07 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Easy!
Group 1 = What the White Stork (a common swear word) does this mean?

Group 2 = Don't ask stupid Water Buffaloes (meaning questions)

Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by treskillard
Easy!
Group 1 = What the White Stork (a common swear word) does this mean?

Group 2 = Don't ask stupid Water Buffaloes (meaning questions)

Sorry you have the wrong language.......
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:27 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you have the wrong language.......
White Stork :curse:
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by treskillard
White Stork :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.