Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

It's Quiz Night

It's Quiz Night

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:08 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: It's Quiz Night

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh sorry. My turn?

Find the last 3 terms in this series...

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 22, 24, 31, ...

42 62 100
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:36 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh sorry. My turn?

Find the last 3 terms in this series...

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 22, 24, 31, ...
Bit late but I have been recovering from the Fete du music. but here you go.

100, 121, 10000,
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanage2
42 62 100
Nope. (Or at least not what I was looking for... if you can explain your suggestion, you can go next).
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Bit late but I have been recovering from the Fete du music. but here you go.

100, 121, 10000,
Very nice. Few people get that one quickly. Did you google?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:54 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

He can't have, I just tried it and got nothing except calendars! C'mon then, please explain to us mathematically challenged types how it works.... My brain's red hot right now and I'm seeing number sequences in my tea...
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:13 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Nope. (Or at least not what I was looking for... if you can explain your suggestion, you can go next).

PASS
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:03 pm

Base 16 next number is 1111111111111111,

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
He can't have, I just tried it and got nothing except calendars! C'mon then, please explain to us mathematically challenged types how it works.... My brain's red hot right now and I'm seeing number sequences in my tea...
Base 16 is used to represent byte values. Here

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 22nd 2008 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:09 pm
Born again atheist

Base 16 next number is 1111111111111111,

Base 16 is used to represent byte values. Here
Yup. When I was in the lower sixth at grammar school, I had a mathematics teacher (Mr. Budden) who gave the class that problem. I was one of two who was able to solve it. I've never forgotten it and Ka Ora! is the only other person who could solve it all these years later, although I've set it myself for several very bright people.

Again, well done.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:18 pm
Born again atheist

Actually Jazzy n Lol, it occurs to me that the solution may not be apparent even after Ka Ora!'s posts.

All the numbers in the series are the same, 16. The series is actually in the base number used, starting at base 16 (hex) and decreasing by steps of one towards binary.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:42 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Actually Jazzy n Lol, it occurs to me that the solution may not be apparent even after Ka Ora!'s posts.

All the numbers in the series are the same, 16. The series is actually in the base number used, starting at base 16 (hex) and decreasing by steps of one towards binary.

Thanks Novo and thanks to Ka Ora! for the wiki link

We looked it up on the Integer Series website and learnt more of it. I got Lol to explain Base 16 to me (handy as he is a maths teacher!) and then had a fun evening of inventing series, only to discover they were already invented

Well done to Ka Ora! Very quickly spotted!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:59 am

Thanks Novo and thanks to Ka Ora! for the wiki link

We looked it up on the Integer Series website and learnt more of it. I got Lol to explain Base 16 to me (handy as he is a maths teacher!) and then had a fun evening of inventing series, only to discover they were already invented

Well done to Ka Ora! Very quickly spotted!
The only reason other than Computing that i recognised the sequence was it had a familiarity with an army encryption system I used a why back.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:40 pm
Born again atheist

The only reason other than Computing that i recognised the sequence was it had a familiarity with an army encryption system I used a why back.
Jeez. Is this going to be an "its-a-small-world" moment? The other guy who found the solution way back then qualified as an MD, then joined up and ended in Army Intelligence. Alex, is that you??
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:42 pm
La petite noblesse

Jeez. Is this going to be an "its-a-small-world" moment? The other guy who found the solution way back then qualified as an MD, then joined up and ended in Army Intelligence. Alex, is that you??

omg! Cue the music from The Twilight Zone!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:38 pm

No, But who knows.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:08 pm
Born again atheist

No, But who knows.
As cryptic as you might expect from a cryptologist.

Anyway: your turn!

<but not too hard please>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.