Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Ireland citizen bringing Filipino spouse to live in France?

Ireland citizen bringing Filipino spouse to live in France?

Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

BobSmith888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ireland citizen bringing Filipino spouse to live in France?

hello all,

i am an Irish citizen. I was hoping that the Brits here can help me with my query based on your similar experiences with expat life in France.

My spouse and baby and I are currently residing in Singapore: My spouse is a Filipino citizen, but our baby is an Ireland citizen via my Ireland citizenship.

We are considering retiring early and moving to France or Italy.

Is it possible, and relatively easy, to bring my Philippine wife with me to live and retire, no work. in France?

cheers.

Last edited by BobSmith888; Feb 13th 2019 at 9:18 pm. Reason: Change title
Old Feb 14th 2019, 6:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland citizen bringing Filipino spouse to live in France?

Originally Posted by BobSmith888
hello all,

i am an Irish citizen. I was hoping that the Brits here can help me with my query based on your similar experiences with expat life in France.

My spouse and baby and I are currently residing in Singapore: My spouse is a Filipino citizen, but our baby is an Ireland citizen via my Ireland citizenship.

We are considering retiring early and moving to France or Italy.

Is it possible, and relatively easy, to bring my Philippine wife with me to live and retire, no work. in France?

cheers.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
According to:
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F19315

you as a EU citizen must prove your own right to be resident in France before your non-EU spouse can join you. If you won't be working, you'll need to prove financial resources, healthcare insurance, justification of domicile, etc..., which means that she wouldn't be able to join you straight away. Once here, a Carte de Séjour apparently isn't compulsory, but IMO would be advisable for various reasons.
Do either of you speak French and have you ever been to France? It would be highly desirable in order to communicate with Bureaucracy and for the nitty-gritty of daily life, esp. for your wife. Where were you thinking of settling? Will she be hoping to be near a Filipino community who could give her support?
HTH
P.S. Sorry, I re-read the link, and a Carte de Séjour IS compulsory for your non-EU wife. You must comply with the conditions as mentioned above to prove your own eligibility for residence in France in order to "sponsor" her.

Last edited by dmu; Feb 14th 2019 at 7:00 am.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I see you have asked the same question on the Italy forum, and received somewhat similar info provided by DMU above.
In your position I would be asking the question, which country do I really prefer? i.e. where would I feel more comfortable in, especially regarding the language.
If either of you have a knowledge of the language, I guess that should tip the preference as you will be in for a very 'interesting' & frustrating period to say the least - just for your Carte de Sejour alone. Brexit has of course made application times for CdeS absolutely crazy - such is the mad rush for demand at so many Prefectures.
Not wanting to pry, but you may wish to state why a move to France or Italy, as we may be able to advise further. Do you have family in either country?

I'm also wondering why you don't have a preference for Spain, as it would be easier to pick up than French or Italian, given that there are a lot of words from Spanish that are used in Tagalog and Bisaya.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Feb 14th 2019 at 1:05 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I see you have asked the same question on the Italy forum, and received somewhat similar info provided by DMU above.
In your position I would be asking the question, which country do I really prefer? i.e. where would I feel more comfortable in, especially regarding the language.
If either of you have a knowledge of the language, I guess that should tip the preference as you will be in for a very 'interesting' & frustrating period to say the least - just for your Carte de Sejour alone. Brexit has of course made application times for CdeS absolutely crazy - such is the mad rush for demand at so many Prefectures.
Not wanting to pry, but you may wish to state why a move to France or Italy, as we may be able to advise further. Do you have family in either country?

I'm also wondering why you don't have a preference for Spain, as it would be easier to pick up than French or Italian, given that there are a lot of words from Spanish that are used in Tagalog and Bisaya.
Hello Tweedpipe,

Yes, i asked the same question in the Italy forum because we are trying to figure out if there are any significant differences between the rules for Italy and France:

We love both countries, so we are open to either place if there is an option.

We only speak english and Tagalog: we dont have any family in France or Italy or Spain. We want to enjoy the culture and lifestyle of both Italy and France, we want to learn the language of one of them, and have good schools available for our baby son.

Spain is our 3rd choice, and very interesting also.

if you could chose any of the three, not based on language consideration, what would be your 1st and 2nd picks?

regards,
Bob

Old Feb 15th 2019, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

you as a EU citizen must prove your own right to be resident in France before your non-EU spouse can join you. If you won't be working, you'll need to prove financial resources, healthcare insurance, justification of domicile, etc..., which means that she wouldn't be able to join you straight away. Once here, a Carte de Séjour apparently isn't compulsory, but IMO would be advisable for various reasons.
Do either of you speak French and have you ever been to France? It would be highly desirable in order to communicate with Bureaucracy and for the nitty-gritty of daily life, esp. for your wife. Where were you thinking of settling? Will she be hoping to be near a Filipino community who could give her support?
HTH
P.S. Sorry, I re-read the link, and a Carte de Séjour IS compulsory for your non-EU wife. You must comply with the conditions as mentioned above to prove your own eligibility for residence in France in order to "sponsor" her.

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response and information.
What is a “justification of domicile”? Is it proof of a long term house lease or owning la house? We intend to buy a house soon after arrival.

Is it true that EU citizens are automatically covered under the healthcare system in France? If yes, then i will need to pay for my spouse private healthcare insurance:

When would my Philippine spouse be able to come under the french universal healthcare system?

We were considering living on the French Mediterranean coast, or the Normandy/Brittany areas.

Filipinos appear to be everywhere, but is there a relarively larger community outside Paris that we should be aware of?

Are you aware if there a minimum pension/fixed income or cash/assets level that is needed to bring a non-EU spouse to France?

Regards,
Bob

Old Feb 15th 2019, 9:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response and information.
What is a “justification of domicile”? Is it proof of a long term house lease or owning la house? We intend to buy a house soon after arrival.

Is it true that EU citizens are automatically covered under the healthcare system in France? If yes, then i will need to pay for my spouse private healthcare insurance:

When would my Philippine spouse be able to come under the french universal healthcare system?

We were considering living on the French Mediterranean coast, or the Normandy/Brittany areas.

Filipinos appear to be everywhere, but is there a relarively larger community outside Paris that we should be aware of?

Are you aware if there a minimum pension/fixed income or cash/assets level that is needed to bring a non-EU spouse to France?

Regards,
Bob

Hi, in order to be eligible for residency after 3 months, you yourself must prove a minimum of resources:

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2651

Click on "retraité/actif" which indicates 550,93€ per month for a single person, and 991,68€ for a couple with one child (it doesn't specify whether a healthy bank balance is acceptable, just "resources"), and healthcare insurance for yourself from day 1 of your arrival (usually private healthcare insurance if you aren't working or in receipt of a State Pension). Once you've complied with these conditions and applied for residency after 3 months, you can apply to join the French Social Security, and your wife can come and join you, and you start the procedure as indicated in the link in my other post. By then you'll have rental receipts or Property Deeds to justify your domicile (e.g. hotel, B&B, ... bills wouldn't count).
Some one more in the know will come along regarding your wife's healthcare coverage.
Regarding where to settle, it sounds as though the Alpes-Maritimes would suit, as you'd be near Italy....
HTH
Old Feb 16th 2019, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, in order to be eligible for residency after 3 months, you yourself must prove a minimum of resources:

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2651

Click on "retraité/actif" which indicates 550,93€ per month for a single person, and 991,68€ for a couple with one child (it doesn't specify whether a healthy bank balance is acceptable, just "resources"), and healthcare insurance for yourself from day 1 of your arrival (usually private healthcare insurance if you aren't working or in receipt of a State Pension). Once you've complied with these conditions and applied for residency after 3 months, you can apply to join the French Social Security, and your wife can come and join you, and you start the procedure as indicated in the link in my other post. By then you'll have rental receipts or Property Deeds to justify your domicile (e.g. hotel, B&B, ... bills wouldn't count).
Some one more in the know will come along regarding your wife's healthcare coverage.
Regarding where to settle, it sounds as though the Alpes-Maritimes would suit, as you'd be near Italy....
HTH
thats great information! Thank you.

the monthly income requirement seems very reasonable and we can meet that requirement. Priivate health care insurance requirements i is also reasonable.

Alpes Maritimes does look like a great place. Conveniently located. Good suggestion

After i have received my residence status, are you aware of how long the average immigration application would take to bring my Fillipino spouse to France ?
Old Feb 16th 2019, 9:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thats great information! Thank you.

the monthly income requirement seems very reasonable and we can meet that requirement. Priivate health care insurance requirements i is also reasonable.

Alpes Maritimes does look like a great place. Conveniently located. Good suggestion

After i have received my residence status, are you aware of how long the average immigration application would take to bring my Fillipino spouse to France ?
Sorry I can't help. Maybe some one who has been joined by their non-EU spouse will come along to advise.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry I can't help. Maybe some one who has been joined by their non-EU spouse will come along to advise.
thanks for your help