Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

CatieV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi all, I'm Catie, 36, live in Dijon with my partner. Would love to meet some English speaking folk here
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Shaun Smith Milne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody!
I am a student from Liverpool who has been living in the North of France since June ! Despite having formed a good circle of friends and having an active lifestyle occupied by studies and social events, including on the side tutor work, I am incredibly homesick on a number of points.
I miss the general cityscape of Liverpool and the Wirral, upon which I was raised, and where I hope to return in 3 years after my studies
I miss speaking English and hearing Liverpool accents too as I now speak only French with my friends/ girlfriend, which makes me feel further from home. I would love to make some expat friends who can give advice !!

thanks
Old Feb 5th 2019, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

FefeC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Very new to this forum! I finally made the big move to Toulouse a few months ago with my husband and children after many family holidays here.

Fefe
Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

mclean_h is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, just joined your forum. Hoping to be an expat very soon but, like everyone, worried about Brexit and how it will affect me. Am just about to complete on a house in central France, was hoping to open a B&B and a small bistro but now not sure how this will pan out. employment permits and visas. and a mound of red tape awaits....
any advice???

Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclean_h
Hi all, just joined your forum. Hoping to be an expat very soon but, like everyone, worried about Brexit and how it will affect me. Am just about to complete on a house in central France, was hoping to open a B&B and a small bistro but now not sure how this will pan out. employment permits and visas. and a mound of red tape awaits....
any advice???
Hi, and welcome to the forum! Post again in the main part of the forum below - this section is simply for introductions and your post will get swallowed up by the following posts.
Whereabouts in "central France"? Will you be in a touristic area with a good potential, targetting all nationalities? Someone will come along with the rules and regulations of running a bistro - as you suspect, there's a lot of red-tape to wade through and you'll need a good business plan. Even simple B&Bs have standards to comply with and now have to register at the Mairie.... How's your French?
See you again in the main part of the forum!
Old Feb 10th 2019, 11:17 am
Just Joined

markanddi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! My name is Di. My husband Mark and I are about to take the leap and move to france. We are selling our property here in Northumberland which fingers crossed is coming along ok. We are looking to move to the Charente area in particular. We have decided we would like to come over and rent for the next 6 to 12 months to give us a chance to really explore and get to know the area before buying.
​​​​​​Would any one know of a good place to start looking for rentals? This would be hopefully from around mid March, with at least 2 bedrooms and outside space as we also have 3 adorable very loved and very spoilt pooches.
Any help or ideas from you would be amazing and we are looking forward to getting stuck into the forum!! Thanks again!!
Mark and Di xx
Old Feb 10th 2019, 1:25 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markanddi
Hi everyone! My name is Di. My husband Mark and I are about to take the leap and move to france. We are selling our property here in Northumberland which fingers crossed is coming along ok. We are looking to move to the Charente area in particular. We have decided we would like to come over and rent for the next 6 to 12 months to give us a chance to really explore and get to know the area before buying.
​​​​​​Would any one know of a good place to start looking for rentals? This would be hopefully from around mid March, with at least 2 bedrooms and outside space as we also have 3 adorable very loved and very spoilt pooches.
Any help or ideas from you would be amazing and we are looking forward to getting stuck into the forum!! Thanks again!!
Mark and Di xx
Hi, and welcome to the France forum!
Post again in the main part of the forum below, as this is simply for introductions and your post will get swallowed up by the following ones.
Leases for unfurnished property are usually for 3 years, although it's a simple procedure for tenants to terminate a contract. You might like to consider renting a furnished gîte for a few months and bring your furniture over when you've found your dream home. Take a look at some of the threads in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above, particularly "Renting", "Inheritance Laws", etc...
Can't help on the geographical front, but have you researched employment, healthcare coverage, etc...? How's your French?
Post away on all subjects and we'll do our best to advise!
Old Mar 8th 2019, 8:19 am
Just Joined

mark_kirkby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. myself and my wife have been thinking about semi retiring and crossing the Channel for a few years now especially once our youngest has finished her education. Ideally looking Aquitaine, Limousin and Mid Pyrenees areas for a B&B or preferably gites. Now with the popular tv programme Escape to the Chateau it seems many Brits are heading that way. Glad to see theres many topics to read up on in the forum, I have much reading to do. We're heading over mid April staying in a gite near Saint-Lo and also driving around to check out some areas and to see if its still giving us the feelings of living there. We want to do a few trips over the next couple of years probably heading more south. Hopefully by the time we decide if we go or not, Brexit may or may not have happened... 2-3 years of getting the planning right and making sure it's what we both want especially as we're mid to late 40's. Will also need to learn a little more than the basics language wise although my daughter who's 15 is pretty fluent ( apparentley ) according to her teachers.

Catch up soon... Better start reading

MArk

Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:02 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mark_kirkby
Hi everyone. myself and my wife have been thinking about semi retiring and crossing the Channel for a few years now especially once our youngest has finished her education. Ideally looking Aquitaine, Limousin and Mid Pyrenees areas for a B&B or preferably gites. Now with the popular tv programme Escape to the Chateau it seems many Brits are heading that way. Glad to see theres many topics to read up on in the forum, I have much reading to do. We're heading over mid April staying in a gite near Saint-Lo and also driving around to check out some areas and to see if its still giving us the feelings of living there. We want to do a few trips over the next couple of years probably heading more south. Hopefully by the time we decide if we go or not, Brexit may or may not have happened... 2-3 years of getting the planning right and making sure it's what we both want especially as we're mid to late 40's. Will also need to learn a little more than the basics language wise although my daughter who's 15 is pretty fluent ( apparentley ) according to her teachers.

Catch up soon... Better start reading

MArk
Hi again, and thanks for all the extra info! I'm not sure whether the "many Brits" would be an advantage or drawback, as they, too, might be future competitors!
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. but you'd better post again in the main section below, as this is simply for Introductions and your query will get swallowed up by the following one and might get missed.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark
Welcome to the French forum.
If you have any specific questions, post them in the main body of the forum.
This part is for initial introductions.
This morning, I read a newspaper article about Brits buying in France; where they prefer to buy and what type of house they prefer.
Running a B&B / gîte is not an easy option with plenty of competition and may not provide income without an additional source of income.
Good luck

Sorry - post crossed with dmu
Old Mar 31st 2019, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat120 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,everyone
Old Mar 31st 2019, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank2
Welcome to the forum.
Post your questions in the main french forum and tell us about yourself.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat120 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Cyrian,thanks for the welcome.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

adamfox is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, just registered here looking for information about being self employed as an IT tech in France or if you own a business or want to network that would be great. I have linkedin for the savvy pro's out there.

Thanks
Old May 26th 2019, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ulyana, welcome to BE. I'm sorry, but I've deleted your post, as I just don't think it's safe to put this kind of info on a public forum where anybody can see it.

I hope you understand.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 26th 2019 at 5:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.