Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello Carolinesss
All that can be said about Brexit, really, is that at present Brits are EU citizens and therefore they have the right of freedom of movement, subject to the conditions laid down in the EU directive. After Brexit we won't be EU citizens, therefore we can't count on retaining all/any EU rights. If we do, great. But it all depends on the outcome of the negotiations and what is finally agreed.

If we no longer have EU rights, of course it'll still be possible to move to the EU if you meet whatever criteria are set, but it will likely involve getting visas and jumping through more hoops than at present.

It certainly won't get any easier so I see no advantage in waiting if you're determined to move.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Bev M is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone we have recently moved to the correze region and we do not know anyone the hardest thing is having nobody to talk to when things get tough.we are having terrible trouble trying to find my partner a job and we could use some advice from people who have been through this. Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bev M
Hi everyone we have recently moved to the correze region and we do not know anyone the hardest thing is having nobody to talk to when things get tough.we are having terrible trouble trying to find my partner a job and we could use some advice from people who have been through this. Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear about your woes, but we are good listeners here and can give good advice! Post a New Thread in the main part of the forum below, maybe mentioning something like "Job-seeking in the Corrèze" in the title to attract attention, and giving your partner's line of work and whether he/she speaks French. What is your own status here? Are you working and in the "System"?
This part of the forum is for introductions only and your post will get swallowed by the following introduction....
Old Jan 25th 2018, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Bev M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in correze

Hi my partner is looking for work in the correze area he is a coach driver with 17 years experience he has also worked as a delivery driver. He doesn't speak French and is therefore being turned down by local companies. He is willing to take anything as we are running out of money and can't afford to return to the UK. Any help or advice would be appreciated thankyou
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in correze

Originally Posted by Bev M
Hi my partner is looking for work in the correze area he is a coach driver with 17 years experience he has also worked as a delivery driver. He doesn't speak French and is therefore being turned down by local companies. He is willing to take anything as we are running out of money and can't afford to return to the UK. Any help or advice would be appreciated thankyou
I sympathize, but the unemployment rate is high and there are loads of French drivers chasing any jobs going, in all regions, and French employers tend to look after their own.... The only advice I can give is to go to the local Pôle-Empoi, but have you got the necessary papers to register? How are you covered for healthcare? Are you property-owners or renting?
Do post again in a New Thread (button left), some one might come up with local or nationwide pointers.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in correze

Originally Posted by dmu
I sympathize, but the unemployment rate is high and there are loads of French drivers chasing any jobs going, in all regions, and French employers tend to look after their own.... The only advice I can give is to go to the local Pôle-Empoi, but have you got the necessary papers to register? How are you covered for healthcare? Are you property-owners or renting?
Do post again in a New Thread (button left), some one might come up with local or nationwide pointers.
New thread in the main France forum.
This part is only for introductions.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Pete118 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are a family of four that are moving to th eToulouse area to try and establish a new life.

We are looking to sell up and move in the summer so kids can start school. Initially looking to rent in or near Castelnaudary. A big step but should be fun!
Old Jan 28th 2018, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete118
Hi we are a family of four that are moving to th eToulouse area to try and establish a new life.

We are looking to sell up and move in the summer so kids can start school. Initially looking to rent in or near Castelnaudary. A big step but should be fun!
Welcome to the forum.
Post any questions you have in the main forum.
Good luck with your move.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 8:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pete118

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
As suggested, post again in the main part of the forum below in a New Thread. Your post in the Introduction thread has been swallowed up by the "welcome" posts and may not be seen by many!
Apart from the Canal du Midi and Cassoulet, is there a particular reason for choosing Castelnaudary?
Meanwhile take a look in the Read-Me Moving to France FAQs below, particularly "schooling", "renting", etc... which cover nationwide aspects of living in France.
Have you a salaried job lined up? Will you be job-seeking? Self-employed? Your (compulsory) healthcare coverage will depend on your employment status, and if you don't go into a salaried job straight away, you must take out private healthcare insurance until you're eligible for the French System.
How is your French?
It's usually advised not to sell up in the UK, in case things go pear-shaped and you need to return.
When you post again in the main forum below, give us some more details about yourselves and how you're intending to earn a living to bring up your children in a "new life". It may be fun at first, but you need to know what to expect when the nitty-gritty sets in!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Pete118 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response will post with more details.

We are looking at setting up a sustainable tourism business but need a base to develop our local knowledge and look to purchase somewhere. Need somewhere and the schools in Castelnaudary look good. May still be working in UK a bit while we transfer, but need to move given march2019 potential deadline.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Brenda Grigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello my name is Brenda Grigg and my husband and I after holidaying in France have decided to take the plunge and move to the Country that have very fond feeling for. However, we are not rich enough not to work so thought we would like to run a couple of gites. I would love to hear from anyone who is already doing this and in what area's. I want to know the ups and downs and the running costs of such a business. If anyone is able to help please contact i would love to hear from any members what is like living in the Country. I image is very different from having a holiday so information as i say would be grateful received. Many thanks
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Brenda Grigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jenny and Charles

my husband and I want to do the same but we do want a small income so thought of running a gite or two.

How have you found the cost of living in France compared to England.

We are currently in the process of doing our house up for selling then we plan to buy a caravan as we are unsure what area we want to settle in. Our first instinct was Brittany but we have since found its got a large influx of English running Gites so we want to have a little less competition so we thought we would take a year out travelling it the caravan to find the right location for us.

We have spent many happy holidays already in France but its picking that final place to settle with a good relaxed feel if you know what I mean. We to will be bringing our King Charles Spaniel with us and he's such a big consideration for us too.

Would love to hear from you with any feedback about living in France that you feel may help us
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

M.ElBahaji is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello from Lyon
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

M.ElBahaji is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
With the influx of new members in the France Section of the Forum somewhere for the Newer members to say Hi and the Old ones as well.

So come on then?
Hi there .. Layla from Lyon
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by M.ElBahaji
Hi there .. Layla from Lyon
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Post again in the main part of the forum below (click on "New Thread" to the left), with any questions or tips that you might have on living in Lyon! And more info on yourself (working? job-seeking? children at school?, etc..)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.