Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Oct 10th 2015, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

MelRegan29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi all!

My husband Mike and I are from a village in North Wales and hoping to buy a small house in the Limousin area as we'd like a bolt-hole. Mike has his own business and it's really busy and so we need a place to wind down. Also we might rent it out, but I've yet to look into the logistics of all of that. We love walking and we have two collie dogs so walk alot. We also love pubs and live music - regardless of style, I'm so looking forward to it all - it's definitely going to be and adventure!
Old Oct 10th 2015, 8:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelRegan29
Hi all!

My husband Mike and I are from a village in North Wales and hoping to buy a small house in the Limousin area as we'd like a bolt-hole. Mike has his own business and it's really busy and so we need a place to wind down. Also we might rent it out, but I've yet to look into the logistics of all of that. We love walking and we have two collie dogs so walk alot. We also love pubs and live music - regardless of style, I'm so looking forward to it all - it's definitely going to be and adventure!
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
This is simply an Introduction Thread and your post might get swallowed up by the following introduction and not be noticed. So post away in the main part of the Forum below (click on "New Thread" or participate in any of the ongoing threads).
If you've got other queries re the house purchasing procedure or whatever, don't hesitate to ask away!
Old Oct 10th 2015, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

MelRegan29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I've just posted in there
Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:41 am
Just Joined

GrahamTree is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We are Carol and Graham and have just bought a house in Surgeres. We have no furniture so if anyone has any ideas on where to buy we would love to here from you. Also, any view on pool installers. (Can't find the accents on my keyboard).
Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrahamTree
Hi,
We are Carol and Graham and have just bought a house in Surgeres. We have no furniture so if anyone has any ideas on where to buy we would love to here from you. Also, any view on pool installers. (Can't find the accents on my keyboard).
There are several members in the Charente-Maritime who can advise on local stores, so post again in the main Section below (click on "New Thread") and they'll come along with ideas. (This Thread is for introductions and your enquiry will get swallowed up by the following introduction and may not be noticed.....)
Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Neil 1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Moving to the Limousin early next year for a new adventure, feeling quite anxious but excited. Originally from Wrexham, currently living in London.
Looking forward to getting some great advice from you on here, so apologies if I become a pain in the backside!
Old Oct 12th 2015, 7:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Neil 1969
Hi All
Moving to the Limousin early next year for a new adventure, feeling quite anxious but excited. Originally from Wrexham, currently living in London.
Looking forward to getting some great advice from you on here, so apologies if I become a pain in the backside!
I was going to suggest posting again in the main part of the Forum with specific questions, but see that you've already done so! Can't help on the Bank front, I'm afraid, I opened an account when I started working here....
Don't hesitate to ask other questions, and if you become a pain in the backside, you'll notice the various reactions!!
Old Oct 12th 2015, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Phil_Landes is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello to all,

I've just joined my name is Philip and I am retired < snip >living with my wife in France since 1977 and we moved to South Aquitaine departement of the Landes.

We have considerable experience of living and getting by in France and I'm looking forward to being able to assist any newcomers get through the inevitable trails and tribulations of settling in this wonderful country and helping you enjoy the french peoples rich culture and awesome way of life.

Amitiés

Phil

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 23rd 2015 at 12:52 am. Reason: Just snip out the personals to save from oddballs and the like.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 10:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Phil_Landes
Hello to all,

I've just joined my name is Philip Streets and I am a retired Electrical Engineer and Property Manager living with my wife in France since 1977 and we moved to Saint Paul Les Dax in the South Aquitaine departement of the Landes.

We have considerable experience of living and getting by in France and I'm looking forward to being able to assist any newcomers get through the inevitable trails and tribulations of settling in this wonderful country and helping you enjoy the french peoples rich culture and awesome way of life.

Amitiés

Phil
Hi, and welcome to the forum! Your experience will be a great help to potential expats and those already here!
(I beat your time here by a few years!)
Old Oct 14th 2015, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

doodlebugs is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello everyone, my name is Marie and i am moving to France with my husband, son,daughter in law and my father in Dec 2016 hopefully
Looking forward to chatting with you all, and learning all i can about France
Old Oct 14th 2015, 8:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by doodlebugs
Hello everyone, my name is Marie and i am moving to France with my husband, son,daughter in law and my father in Dec 2016 hopefully
Looking forward to chatting with you all, and learning all i can about France
Post any questions in the main part of the forum below (click on "New Thread") and we'll be happy to help!
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Phil,

You should modify your post, you give way too much personal information which is forbidden on the website for your safety.

But welcome!
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Lady Rainicorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I just joined yesterday as we are hoping to buy a property in France sometime in the next couple of years.

At the moment it is more fantasy than anything else and having found a similar forum very useful in providing a reality slap when we migrated to Australia (were there for 5 years and returned to Scotland in 2013)

The plan is a semi-rural or small village property with access to mountain biking/skiing - it will be a holiday home for the first couple of years as we have a son in school and would not disrupt him again and we would then probably split our time - working in the UK when we needed to but spending longer and longer periods not working until we can fully retire (10-15 years off)

At some point we'd decide where to retire permanently to - having lived overseas I know there can be a big gap between fantasy and reality!!

We have traveled extensively in France over the years but have only ever snowboarded in the Alps so heading to the Pyrenees in February, the cost of flights and property in the Alps puts us off, especially as we would be limited to school holidays for the first few years.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 2:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lady Rainicorn
Hi I just joined yesterday as we are hoping to buy a property in France sometime in the next couple of years.

At the moment it is more fantasy than anything else and having found a similar forum very useful in providing a reality slap when we migrated to Australia (were there for 5 years and returned to Scotland in 2013)

The plan is a semi-rural or small village property with access to mountain biking/skiing - it will be a holiday home for the first couple of years as we have a son in school and would not disrupt him again and we would then probably split our time - working in the UK when we needed to but spending longer and longer periods not working until we can fully retire (10-15 years off)

At some point we'd decide where to retire permanently to - having lived overseas I know there can be a big gap between fantasy and reality!!

We have traveled extensively in France over the years but have only ever snowboarded in the Alps so heading to the Pyrenees in February, the cost of flights and property in the Alps puts us off, especially as we would be limited to school holidays for the first few years.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
As this is a Thread for Introductions and your post will get swallowed up by the following ones, post again in the main forum below ("New Thread" top left), and we'll answer any queries as best possible! You've got the right attitude concerning not disrupting your son's education! If your future property is to be a "retirement and forever more" home, then you shouldn't be too far from medical care (doctor, pharmacy, hospital). From experience, once at retirement age, one tends to consult more often and rural areas tend to be "medical deserts".
Once again, Welcome!
Old Dec 4th 2015, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Mornin' Milady.
My initial advice is, if you're buying a holiday home avoid any of the communes listed here
Surtaxe sur les résidences secondaires : la liste complète des 1.150 villes concernées
or you could find it a very expensive fantasy. But do come over and see us in the main French forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.