Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

danielle1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi folks,

I have been working part-time in France for the last 5 years and I'm just about to be formally seconded to Paris, so looking forward to finally being there full-time . Currently living in Beckenham, Kent.

My husband Sam is coming with me and we're going apartment hunting in Sartrouville, NW of Paris next week. Any tips for bargaining with private French landlords would be welcome! Also grateful to hear from anyone who lives in the area between Nanterre and Cergy on the RER A.

Sam doesn't speak much French yet so will be a 'man of leisure' for at least the first couple of months, then looking for work.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and sharing experiences.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danielle1000
Hi folks,

I have been working part-time in France for the last 5 years and I'm just about to be formally seconded to Paris, so looking forward to finally being there full-time . Currently living in Beckenham, Kent.

My husband Sam is coming with me and we're going apartment hunting in Sartrouville, NW of Paris next week. Any tips for bargaining with private French landlords would be welcome! Also grateful to hear from anyone who lives in the area between Nanterre and Cergy on the RER A.

Sam doesn't speak much French yet so will be a 'man of leisure' for at least the first couple of months, then looking for work.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
There aren't all that many BE members in the Paris banlieue, but there are a lot of British expats in the Maisons-Laffitte area. When you are settled, go along to the Anglican Church in M-L, even if you aren't normally a church-goer, to meet other British expats. Also your Mairie will have a list of all the local Associations where you can meet people with the same interests.
Hope this helps!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

That's great, thanks!

Ps. You live in our dream area for eventual settling in Languedoc! My husband and I have been house-hunting down there on and off for the last 2 years. I know Béziers well from childhood holidays but we are considering all the foothill areas pretty much from there to Perpignan.... Eventually hope to give up the job in Paris and move to Languedoc full-time. Will probably take at least 18-24 months though.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Yorkshire to Paris, the long way round via Michigan.
midwestowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danielle1000
Hi folks,

Hello there and congrats on your secondment

I'm also a "trailing spouse", or "man of leisure" as better half calls me, just wondering when the leisure kicks in.. we've been here for only 4 weeks so can't really help at all with the area or practical info yet, but think we're only a few miles, ok kilometres, south of your chosen area in Croissy. Loving it so far even though we're novices at the language.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

Sam is very pleased to know that he is not the only one! It feels like a big adventure at the moment but tinged with a feeling of vulnerability as he has given up his career of 19 years in the civil service. Oh blind faith!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:43 am
Just Joined

geoff3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm Geoff Chapman from up North (Teesside) originally but been living in France since 1972 when I moved over here to the Paris suburbs to follow my french girlfriend Roselyne.
We married and spent the next 20years in the Paris area working and creating a family.
Then I took a golden handshake and bought a boatyard on the med coast which was a lot of fun but not a lot of success moneywise. Now we are "retired" our next move will be to the Gers area, but we'll talk about that later.
I've just discovered your Forum and I'm eager to participate.
bye for now
Geoff
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:27 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geoff3
Hi, I'm Geoff Chapman from up North (Teesside) originally but been living in France since 1972 when I moved over here to the Paris suburbs to follow my french girlfriend Roselyne.
We married and spent the next 20years in the Paris area working and creating a family.
Then I took a golden handshake and bought a boatyard on the med coast which was a lot of fun but not a lot of success moneywise. Now we are "retired" our next move will be to the Gers area, but we'll talk about that later.
I've just discovered your Forum and I'm eager to participate.
bye for now
Geoff
Welcome, to the forum.

Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

racaille is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I'm new to the forum but not to France! We - OH and two kids - have been here eight years. "Here" is the southern Luberon where we live with three horses, two dogs and many chickens.

We have long-established ties to the area but I still rate myself very, very lucky to be here. I have (randomly!) a French diploma as an equestrian tour guide so I know the countryside around here very well but it never fails to delight me.

Despite the stereotype of the Luberon being full of Brits it is not so where I live so I really enjoy a bit of a chat with other anglophones. I look forward to getting to know you all!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by racaille
Hi! I'm new to the forum but not to France! We - OH and two kids - have been here eight years. "Here" is the southern Luberon where we live with three horses, two dogs and many chickens.

We have long-established ties to the area but I still rate myself very, very lucky to be here. I have (randomly!) a French diploma as an equestrian tour guide so I know the countryside around here very well but it never fails to delight me.

Despite the stereotype of the Luberon being full of Brits it is not so where I live so I really enjoy a bit of a chat with other anglophones. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome to the forum.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

jennibegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I'm jennifer and I'm from France in the south west near bayonne
i'm a student and i want to become a teacher !!
i have 1 sister and 1 brother who is a soldier and he's leaving in Afghanistan for the next christmas
i really enjoy a bit of chat with anglophones because it makes me learning and as you can see i need it
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jennibegs
i have 1 sister and 1 brother who is a soldier and he's leaving in Afghanistan for the next christmas
i really enjoy a bit of chat with anglophones because it makes me learning and as you can see i need it
Welcome to the Forum, Hope you brother has a safe trip
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:38 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennibegs
Hi and Bienvenue!
Feel free to participate in all the threads and post some of your own!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Korari is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

My name is Coralie, I'm 21 and I'm French. I'm living in Paris since 2006 because of my studies but I'm from Lyon.

Last year I lived in Tokyo and studied japanese. I bet the relation between my presence here and my experience abroad isn't so clear!
Actually, I loved my life as an expatriate (I would love to experience it again, in Japan or in UK) but sometimes it was tough, mostly because of the language and a lack of cultural knowledge. As I also missed the international context in which I was living I thought it could be a good idea to participate in such a forum. I hope I could be helpful!

Sorry about the diverse mistakes trough my posts, I didn't write or speak english for a while and I learnt mostly with other expat who weren't natives. Don't hesitate to tell me if sometimes you can't understand my english.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Korari
Hi!

My name is Coralie, I'm 21 and I'm French. I'm living in Paris since 2006 because of my studies but I'm from Lyon.

Last year I lived in Tokyo and studied japanese. I bet the relation between my presence here and my experience abroad isn't so clear!
Actually, I loved my life as an expatriate (I would love to experience it again, in Japan or in UK) but sometimes it was tough, mostly because of the language and a lack of cultural knowledge. As I also missed the international context in which I was living I thought it could be a good idea to participate in such a forum. I hope I could be helpful!

Sorry about the diverse mistakes trough my posts, I didn't write or speak english for a while and I learnt mostly with other expat who weren't natives. Don't hesitate to tell me if sometimes you can't understand my english.
Welcome to the Forum Dont worry about being understood a few of the stranger folk that have passed through have needed clairvoyants to translate as that was the only way of understanding anything they typed There is a fun bunch here and most dont bite.......
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

may09041944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by jenny and charlie
Hello Everyone,
We are Jenny and Charlie Davies. We have lived permanantly in France since August 2008. We are in Auros, Gironde, not far from Bordeaux. We have bought a plot of land and are having a bungalow built as we speak. I am a retired Postwoman originating from East London and Charlie is a retired White Van delivery Man originating from Gloucester. Before we left England we were living in Harold Hill, Romford, Essex. I know we may be of the minority, but we are really enjoying our new life in France and know that we will not return to England to live. We brought our two retired, rescue Greyhounds with us as well.
Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
With the influx of new members in the France Section of the Forum somewhere for the Newer members to say Hi and the Old ones as well.

So come on then?
Hello everyone and thank you for your welcome.
We are moving this year to France with our pets Lucus and Pepsi, we live in Staffordshire or what is known as the Midlands.
We have a home in France that we bought a few years ago but now we are retired we feel it is time for something different, our home in France is in the Gers area and we can't wait to be there.
Maureen & Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.