Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by HenriettaGiraffe
We both work in IT and are looking into the possibility of continuing to work for our respective UK companies, remotely from France, at least in the short term. (Although I see from a number of previous posts that we would need to get approval from a landlord to be able to do this, so that is something to consider.)
I don't think a landlord would bother about that. It's not as if you'd be running a business and registering his property as the siège sociale.
It's your companies you need to discuss it with, since they're the ones that will have to stump up the higher rate of French social security cotisations, along with the hassle of registering you with URSSAF as employees. If they're international companies they'll know all about this and it shouldn't be an issue.
But as said, these are questions for the main forum. See you there ;-)
Old Jun 14th 2018, 11:08 am
Just Joined

OzziesMa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. I'm Charlotte and, having accepted a job in Colomiers, I'm moving to a rented house in Gers next month with my hubby, our 3 year old son, and our two dogs.

I just wanted to say thanks very much for all the useful info and top tips I've already benefited from, and thanks in advance for help with questions I'm bound to end up posting.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Old Jun 14th 2018, 6:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzziesMa
Hi everyone. I'm Charlotte and, having accepted a job in Colomiers, I'm moving to a rented house in Gers next month with my hubby, our 3 year old son, and our two dogs.

I just wanted to say thanks very much for all the useful info and top tips I've already benefited from, and thanks in advance for help with questions I'm bound to end up posting.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Ask away on any subject!
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzziesMa

Welcome to the forum!
I used to know Colomiers like the back of my hand, but was driving there a few weeks ago following up a LBCoin purchase and looking for a particular address when I got completely lost. The town has exploded in terms of population, new buildings etc. However I'm sure you will be better off residing in the Gers - assuming you can cope with that increasingly busy N124.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 2:48 pm
wsw
Just Joined

wsw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone - moving very soon so thought I'd join the forum in preparation. Now to start reading through all the sticky posts...
Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wsw
Hi everyone - moving very soon so thought I'd join the forum in preparation. Now to start reading through all the sticky posts...
After you've waded through all that, post again in the main part of the Forum below and give us more details of your situation (family, employment (or not), buying or renting, destination, etc....) and we can give up-to-date info.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

RobPoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Afternoon All,

New member here so please be gentle with me.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:23 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RobPoole
Afternoon All,

New member here so please be gentle with me.
Hi, and welcome to the France forum!
I see that you've also posted in the Malta forum, and you've a choice to make.
I'd say that your son is at a bad age for moving to France, unless he's got a good command of French and French Literature/History, in order to cope with following the lessons and writing essays. If he doesn't speak French, he would find it difficult to integrate and make friends and it would be advisable to put him in an International School to finish the British Curriculum. The drawback of an International School is that it would be expensive and your son wouldn't integrate easily with local children nor pick up French quickly. Take a look in the "Schooling" thread in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above for more info, but IMO neither option is ideal and your son risks being more than "shady" at the prospect of going to school in France.
You yourself would have to speak adequate French in order to face the stiff competion from all the other French candidates for any jobs going.
This thread will get swallowed up by the following introductions, so post again in a "New Thread" in the main section below, but IMO it wouldn't be advisable to move to France with a 13-year-old who doesn't speak French, esp. if you haven't got a job lined up.
Hope I've been gentle enough, but I'm being realistic! Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Jul 26th 2018, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Jerican is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, or should I say bonjour!

My wife and myself are currently in the very early stages of considering a move to France. We left the Uk 12 years ago to live in Canada, Vancouver island. It’s been a great place to bring up our kids but it’s fast becoming too expensive to live here, which it already is for a lot of people. We feel the time is right, for us, for a move back to Europe and to be closer to family and friends and we hope that France is the place for us to go. We know, after doing it once, that there is a lot to find out and that it’s never enough, however much research you do! But we’re hoping that we can get some pointers and good advice from you which could make life a bit easier. So far, we have an idea of south west France, Aquitaine but we are open to ideas and opinions on other areas too. We would like a relatively good access to the coast, nice summers and not too cold winters.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 8:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerican
Hello everyone, or should I say bonjour!

My wife and myself are currently in the very early stages of considering a move to France. We left the Uk 12 years ago to live in Canada, Vancouver island. It’s been a great place to bring up our kids but it’s fast becoming too expensive to live here, which it already is for a lot of people. We feel the time is right, for us, for a move back to Europe and to be closer to family and friends and we hope that France is the place for us to go. We know, after doing it once, that there is a lot to find out and that it’s never enough, however much research you do! But we’re hoping that we can get some pointers and good advice from you which could make life a bit easier. So far, we have an idea of south west France, Aquitaine but we are open to ideas and opinions on other areas too. We would like a relatively good access to the coast, nice summers and not too cold winters.
Your post will get swallowed up by the following Introduction, so post again in the main part of the forum below, clicking on "New Thread", giving more info on how old your children are, how you intend to make a living (which determines what healthcare cover you will have), your level of French, whether you in intend to rent or buy, etc.... Take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs below, and ask away!
Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Jessica82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
With the influx of new members in the France Section of the Forum somewhere for the Newer members to say Hi and the Old ones as well.

So come on then?
hi ive just moved to france (Cherbourg) with very little language skills with my children and im looking to meet new people so i dont go insane
Old Jul 30th 2018, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.
Post any questions in the main forum using the New Thread button on the left of the index page.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 6:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jessica82

hi ive just moved to france (Cherbourg) with very little language skills with my children and im looking to meet new people so i dont go insane
Hi, and welcome to the forum from me, too!
As suggested, post again in the main part of the forum below, as this post will get swallowed up by the following introduction.
How old are your children? You'll meet plenty of new people at the school gates if they're of Maternelle/Primaire age, and when taking them to visit their new-found friends if they're older. Otherwise, ask at your Mairie for a list of all the Clubs and Associations and join a few which interest you for when you're free. Even if the other members don't speak much English, you'll make friends with similar interests!
Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Nick Cook is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone

Looking for some advise on areas to move to in south of France.

I have for year old twins so looking for somewhere good for a young family, not too isolated. I will also need good links back to London Heathrow and Valencia airports. can any one help me please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.