Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Internet in gites

Internet in gites

Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet in gites

I think we need to have internet in the 3 holiday apartments we have BUT DH is concerned that if we have people downloading illegal content, sending hate mail etc ... we are liable .. SO how do we
1. avoid this any liability issues?
2. make it as economical as possible
3. have it as user friendly as possible? last thing we need is people asking every 5 mins for help ...

TIA
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet in gites

Originally Posted by beigey
I think we need to have internet in the 3 holiday apartments we have BUT DH is concerned that if we have people downloading illegal content, sending hate mail etc ... we are liable .. SO how do we
3. have it as user friendly as possible? last thing we need is people asking every 5 mins for help ...

TIA
Hi, I would have thought that serious internet users on holiday would bring their laptops with them, so why not just make sure they'll have Wifi?
There are cyber-cafés everywhere for the others.

I've noticed in hotels that their Espaces-Internet often display "en panne". I personally wouldn't want the hassle of caring for three extra computers in the hands of a succession of strangers...
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

I wouldn't provide computers ...!! Just considering WiFi but there is a law that states that any illegal activity on OUR IP would result in US getting in trouble ... want to see how was can provide WiFi without the liability ...
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't provide computers ...!! Just considering WiFi but there is a law that states that any illegal activity on OUR IP would result in US getting in trouble ... want to see how was can provide WiFi without the liability ...
Sorry, I didn't understand!
You've got a tricky problem! Found this forum
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/reseaux...et_16469_1.htm
which doesn't seem to offer a simple solution, except to add a clause in the rental agreement whereby you are in no way liable for any illicit internet activity on your premises.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

How does that clause in the contract stand up in court? If we get in trouble cos someone sent something out from our IP address would a clause in the contract that they signed protect us if they live abroad ... I want to put WiFi in and I think it will be fine ... DH is concerned that we could be leaving ourselves open to a bigger problem!

Thanks for the link - I will go through it in a bit ... need my French head on!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:12 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

TIA
If it was me I would set it up so it's Wifi only, Set up a Open DNS account the router then gives out the OPEN DNS IP address as the DNS server and you can set up content filtering via their control panel also have a Wifi Router that logs traffic so you can tell what they are up to. This all falls to bits if the renter uses a VPN but then the ISP cant see what they are up to either. As any sensible surfer that goes to the more dubious web sites uses a VPN amongst other things.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:06 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How does that clause in the contract stand up in court? .. DH is concerned that we could be leaving ourselves open to a bigger problem!
Thanks for the link - I will go through it in a bit ... need my French head on!
No idea, but the French people on that forum are doing it and I presume the clause covers you world-wide.
I don't understand a word of Ka Ora's advice () but he's usually right! If it's technically possible to prevent the worst, then go ahead (and persuade DH that his fears are unfounded!).
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
If it was me I would set it up so it's Wifi only, Set up a Open DNS account the router then gives out the OPEN DNS IP address as the DNS server and you can set up content filtering via their control panel also have a Wifi Router that logs traffic so you can tell what they are up to. This all falls to bits if the renter uses a VPN but then the ISP cant see what they are up to either. As any sensible surfer that goes to the more dubious web sites uses a VPN amongst other things.
quoi???

(it is all magic to me!)
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
quoi???

(it is all magic to me!)
Open Dns is really handy if you have children that need their internet quota tuning down without say no They just get a page that say Site Blocked contact your Network Administrator. You can even block on types of sites, So for example you block Video sites every video sharing site on their list gets blocked.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
quoi???

(it is all magic to me!)
Does this make it any easier to understand?
˙sƃuıɥʇ ɹǝɥʇo ʇsƃuoɯɐ udʌ ɐ sǝsn sǝʇıs qǝʍ snoıqnp ǝɹoɯ ǝɥʇ oʇ sǝoƃ ʇɐɥʇ ɹǝɟɹns ǝlqısuǝs ʎuɐ sɐ ˙ɹǝɥʇıǝ oʇ dn ǝɹɐ ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ʇuɐɔ dsı ǝɥʇ uǝɥʇ ʇnq udʌ ɐ sǝsn ɹǝʇuǝɹ ǝɥʇ ɟı sʇıq oʇ sllɐɟ llɐ sıɥʇ ˙oʇ dn ǝɹɐ ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ llǝʇ uɐɔ noʎ os ɔıɟɟɐɹʇ sƃol ʇɐɥʇ ɹǝʇnoɹ ıɟıʍ ɐ ǝʌɐɥ oslɐ lǝuɐd loɹʇuoɔ ɹıǝɥʇ ɐıʌ ƃuıɹǝʇlıɟ ʇuǝʇuoɔ dn ʇǝs uɐɔ noʎ puɐ ɹǝʌɹǝs sup ǝɥʇ sɐ ssǝɹppɐ dı sup uǝdo ǝɥʇ ʇno sǝʌıƃ uǝɥʇ ɹǝʇnoɹ ǝɥʇ ʇunoɔɔɐ sup uǝdo ɐ dn ʇǝs `ʎluo ıɟıʍ s,ʇı os dn ʇı ʇǝs plnoʍ ı ǝɯ sɐʍ ʇı ɟı
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

I figured it out! Get a line from Orange (or provider) then get a hotspot ... http://www.hotspotsystem.com/en/hots...e_hotspot.html

Gonna go for this http://www.noodo.fr

They block the illegal sites for you and they record who uses the network so if there is any dodgy business you are not liable!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:04 am
Just Joined

louis0109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I have a coffee shop in Montpellier, and we provide WiFi access.
To be compliant with EU law,we also use Noodo.fr
It works perfectly.

Whenever a customer connects to the net, they need to create an account. They then have 15mns to check their email and validate it. They are then connected permently.

Its costs about 10€ a month but certainly rotects you from any problems.

Clauses in contracts DO NOT PROTECT YOU AT ALL. Under both EU and French law YOU are responsible for your internet connexion and we never know what changes will be brought into the law to reinforce this.

By using Noodo any problems will be directed to them to provide the logs.
In addition no risk of being accused of downloading music as the system blocks this directly.

Hope this confirms you decision.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by louis0109
Hi
I have a coffee shop in Montpellier,
Hi,
Sorry, off-topic, but
Whereabouts are you? Anywhere near la SNCF, Polygone, Comédie? in which case I'll drop in next time I'm in MTP!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:08 am
Just Joined

louis0109 is an unknown quantity at this point

definately off topic ;-) nevertheless
Fairview coffee, 6 rue Loys
just behind the opéra comédie
please call in
thanks...and you can test the wifi at the same tiume ;-)
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:28 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
If you PM me I have a link to a forum for vacation accommodation. We have had a conversation about this in the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.