Reload this Page >

Info on Saint-Aulaye

Wikiposts

Info on Saint-Aulaye

Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

rosearthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on Saint-Aulaye

I have found a property I'm very interested in in Saint-Aulaye. Would this be rather off the beaten track? Are there many Brits around? Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks. My husband and I play Irish music professionally. I teach the flute and sell crafts. I am also a Reiki master.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on Saint-Aulaye

Originally Posted by rosearthur
I have found a property I'm very interested in in Saint-Aulaye. Would this be rather off the beaten track? Are there many Brits around? Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks. My husband and I play Irish music professionally. I teach the flute and sell crafts. I am also a Reiki master.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I had to google to find out where Saint-Aulaye is - if I'm not the only ignoramus, it's in the Dordogne, west of Riberac!
Whether you'll make a living with your artistic talents should be the principal question, and bear in mind that, in order to be "legal", you'd have to register with the "Section Spectacles" of the URSSAF (for your performances) and various other organisations for those and your other activities. Not forgetting professional insurance... With three different activities, it becomes complicated! Healthcare coverage should also be a priority....
From my knowledge of piano playing here, you'll find that the French method of learning is completely different to the UK and you'd have to limit teaching the flute to British families.
Good luck in your venture!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Saint Aulaye looks really pretty but it has a population of 1350 and it does look off the beaten track but if that is what you are looking for then good luck.
If you play Irish music then would you not consider Brittany where there is a strong celtic culture.
If you are going to rely on teaching flute; selling crafts and doing whatever a reiki master does then I would be worried for you.
Why don't you rent a gite for 6 months and find out what life is really like in France before you take the final decision.
What is your motivation for the move?
Good luck
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
doing whatever a reiki master does
Had to google this, too!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki

I'm dubious about the OP a) getting registered to practise and b) finding (French) clients. It's not very wide-spread in France....
To give an example of an oriental "activity", my Tai-Chi Master had to set up an "Association" in order to teach.
This would be a fourth step to take in addition to the other three to be able to perform live, teach the flute and sell handicraft. Teaching the flute would be the simplest, under the Chèque-Emploi system, but the other two would involve different types of bureaucracy (one for "Artistes", the other as a Vendor). In fact, the OP would end up having 4 different types of status (with all the paperwork involved).
As you suggest, Brittany might be more advisable at least for the music side. The bureaucracy will be the same everywhere....
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Charentebound is on a distinguished road

I have friends who live a couple of kilometres from Saint-Aulaye, just over the border in Charente, and have come know the area fairly well. In fact, I'm planning to move thereabouts ASAP.

It has to be said that the area is a bit depressed economically and it would be difficult to make a living there. There are a few Brits in Saint-Aulaye and a few more in nearby Chalais (which is pretty good for shopping). Restaurants struggle to survive and the last time I was in Saint-Aulaye, a couple of years ago, there was only one left and its future was uncertain. There used to be a splendid bar/restaurant on the main street run by a charming couple, but that closed a while ago and the remaining bar is or was used mostly by local workers. Sainte-Aulaye is off the beaten track but, realistically, is close enough to the autoroutes to get you to Perigueux, Angouleme or Bordeaux in not much more than an hour. Nearby Aubeterre is particularly attractive.

I'm within 18 months or so of retirement age so won't have to work (with any luck) but, if I were you, I'd certainly opt to rent for a while before committing yourselves to the area -- if only to give you a better idea of the properties available. I doubt that musical tuition or reiki would generate enough income to sustain you, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, my friends have been trying to sell up for seven years or so and had two viewers at the last count. Their property seems to be well priced and the even the addition of a swimming pool didn't swing it for them. In other words, if you do buy, don't look at an early sale if you change your minds.

Best of luck. May see you there.

Al

Last edited by Charentebound; Mar 12th 2013 at 1:49 am. Reason: Additional comment
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for some excellent advice. A bit more info might help:
My husband is due to retire in Jan. and we would have savings (on the UK house sale).
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is due to retire in Jan. and we would have savings (on the UK house sale).
What info do you want?
If you ask specific questions then you can get more specific replies.

You may find some of your answers if you do a forum search - top right on the France index page.
Enter relevant words and search.

Last edited by cyrian; Mar 12th 2013 at 2:31 am. Reason: Addition
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Has your OH been paying into the NI system? In which case he should be covered by the French S.S when he receives his Pension and you should be considered as his dependant. You'd be advised to enquire about your status if you perform in France.
Savings can last only so long - as a couple you'll be spending an average of about 1400 € per month (this is the official French Poverty Threshold for basics) and this doesn't include the Mutuelle (advisable at retirement age), outings and the unexpected.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Please would you be able to elaborate on the pension/SS entitlements? That sounds interesting. He also has a small independent pension. I am not of retirement age myself for another 7 years. Would I be able to claim any benefit?