Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Info on crossing the channel with a Van

Info on crossing the channel with a Van

Old Jun 14th 2016, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all
Default Info on crossing the channel with a Van

Just wondering what's the most convenient way to cross the channel with a normal van, below 1.85cm in height hopefully, and whether it's possible to buy tickets in advance but without knowing exactly the time and dates (if flexibility doesn't mean double price). What would you suggest?
Old Jun 14th 2016, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on crossing the channel with a Van

What do you mean by convenient?
Do you mean most direct to your destination or cheapest?
Check online for vehicle sizes and prices (either well in advance or last minute).
A friend of mine booked a return crossing on the tunnel in the evening with the return a few hours later. He didn't use the return section of his ticket.
I don't think that doing that is in accordance with the rules and therefore I wouldn't dream of suggesting it.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

By convenient I meant cost-effective, up until a few days ago I had taken into consideration just the Calais option but then there's a bunch of other options that one can consider (so I've read http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/whats-the-best-way-to-cross-the-channel-with-your-car).
Right you mean a return same day cost less than a single on that date? If so he was quite right to go for it
I think that would be complicated for us as we won't be able to do last minute and risk not crossing on the dates we need, plus summer time I imagine will be quite busy, no matter which option we choose.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Quite honestly I would wait until you do know when you'll be travelling and how high (and long) your van will be, and then book a ticket. If you're not still absolutely sure, buy a flexible ticket that you can amend if necessary.
Maybe you can just turn up for the tunnel and get on the next train but AFAIK none of the ferries give you that option (officially - although in my experience if you have a ticket and turn up at a random time that's nothing to do with your booking, hours or even days early, they will usually be obliging about it). If you book a ticket on the spot you would expect to pay more than if you booked over the internet, even if you only book an hour or two earlier.
Most convenient would, surely, depend on whereabouts in France you are heading...
Old Jun 14th 2016, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
By convenient I meant cost-effective.
But if you're going to, say, Brittany, then a cheaper Dover-Calais crossing plus the fuel for the van, may work out more expensive than a more expensive ferry crossing that lands you further west and therefore uses less fuel. You have to do the maths based on your destination.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Using just the outward part of a return ticket is failing the terms of the offer and the card you used will be surcharged. You can get your bank to refund you as a 'dispute' but your details will be on record and future crossings could prove difficult.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:59 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering what's the most convenient way to cross the channel with a normal van, below 1.85cm in height hopefully, and whether it's possible to buy tickets in advance but without knowing exactly the time and dates (if flexibility doesn't mean double price). What would you suggest?
Can't your friend take you in his phone box?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I must confess, initially that comment went straight over my head, as the name meant nothing to me. Had to google it.
Nice one IVV.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I thought if you prebooked you now had to enter the reg number of the vehicle? i know i did when I last crossed in 2013.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quiltman
I thought if you prebooked you now had to enter the reg number of the vehicle? i know i did when I last crossed in 2013.
Damn that would be a nuisance we will have to rent and will have no idea of the registration number until we do
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Damn that would be a nuisance we will have to rent and will have no idea of the registration number until we do
I usually use DFDS and I think there is an option where you can tell them the reg number later. Not sure how that works though because I always enter mine when I book.

Are UK vehicle hire places less anal these days about letting you take their vehicles abroad? I remember that when I hired a van to move here, it was no end of a palaver getting all the documents - apparently they had to get special paperwork from their insurance company. Oddly it didn't add a lot to the cost, just extra hassle. So I suggest you don't leave it to the last minute before you book the van, and if it's still the same they will have to allocate you a vehicle in advance because of the insurance, so they could tell you the reg no for you to book the ticket.
But saying all that, things have probably evolved over the last decade.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Chti Anglais is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I usually use DFDS and I think there is an option where you can tell them the reg number later. Not sure how that works though because I always enter mine when I book.

Are UK vehicle hire places less anal these days about letting you take their vehicles abroad? I remember that when I hired a van to move here, it was no end of a palaver getting all the documents - apparently they had to get special paperwork from their insurance company. Oddly it didn't add a lot to the cost, just extra hassle. So I suggest you don't leave it to the last minute before you book the van, and if it's still the same they will have to allocate you a vehicle in advance because of the insurance, so they could tell you the reg no for you to book the ticket.
But saying all that, things have probably evolved over the last decade.
Our son's coming over next week in a hire car, it's apparently straight forward for European travel they all say. He has to pay them for European breakdown cover at approx. £15.00 per day. there was a problem leaving the reg. off with internet booking a ferry but a phone call sorted it and he just has to tell them the day before.
Just a note though; he lives in the Folkestone area so maybe they're more used to this arrangement than rental branches outside of SE Kent.
I'll post result next week
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Frenchie51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have used DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe hundreds of times. Very good service and good prices.When we moved here I rented a van, but didn't have a reg number. Made the booking weeks in advance, and gave them the reg number the day before we travelled.They will need to know the size of van as that determines the price.Used Eurovan hire and they were all clued up for european travel,nice easy process.

Last edited by Frenchie51; Jun 15th 2016 at 7:00 pm. Reason: extra info