Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Indian or Thai curry ingredients in the Chambéry area?

Indian or Thai curry ingredients in the Chambéry area?

Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Chapelgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Indian or Thai curry ingredients in the Chambéry area?

Does anyone know of any good places to buy ingredents for Thai or Indian curries in the Chambéry area? You know what it is like - there are any number of regional cookery styles available but the one you really fancy is the one you can't get!

We like to cook from scratch, not using packet sauces or jars, except for the plastic pots of Thai red or green curry paste.

We have found a source of fresh small bird's-eye red chillies in a Viet-Namese grocer's in the Galion arcade across from Carrefour at Bassens and of course you can get cinnamon, cumin, basmati rice etc. from any supermarket or grocer's, but there are things like fresh green chillis, tamarind paste etc. which are almost impossible to find.

I think I have seen green label mango chutney - probably in Lidl at Saint Jeoire Prieuré - but never any other brands.

Our UK visitors will bring us spices or packet goods when they come over, but it would be nice to be able to track some of this stuff down here, if at all possible.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian or Thai curry ingredients in the Chambéry area?

I can't believe you have raised this topic! We are avid curry eaters and are getting severe withdrawal from indian food! There is nothing over here in the supermarkets and understand the nearest decent indian restaurant is in Grenoble.
Luckily I am gong home for couple of nights and can order myself a good indian meal
I will watch this thread with interest. Maybe there is a market for this?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I cant find chilli's anywhere.

I bought plenty of Garam masala, cumin etc over with me so I have plenty in stock. But fresh chilli is difficult. I bought a big bag of dried chilli from Tesco and rehydrate them. Also I find getting good cream a problem.

I love making curry, we have dopiaza tonight in fact and the kids have an Annabel Karmel one.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

We are carefully nursing a Kaffir Lime tree in a pot, so we have the leaves for Thai curry.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Think we are all round to yours for a big feast
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by loy loy
I cant find chilli's anywhere.

I bought plenty of Garam masala, cumin etc over with me so I have plenty in stock. But fresh chilli is difficult. I bought a big bag of dried chilli from Tesco and rehydrate them. Also I find getting good cream a problem.

I love making curry, we have dopiaza tonight in fact and the kids have an Annabel Karmel one.
I tried to grow some chilli plants from seed last year, but we had to go away for 10 days and we had nobody to water them, so most died. I attempted to bring the survivors with me when we moved house, but they gave up the ghost too. I will try again with some fresh seed next spring.

When you say "good cream" what are you looking for? We use full fat crème fraîche in cooking, or the Elle & Vire Normandy crème fleurette pouring cream in the chequered cartons from the chiller cabinet. It comes in pouring cream and double cream consistencies. We don't use the cartons of cream off the grocery shelves because it is usually the sterilised variety.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chapelgirl
I tried to grow some chilli plants from seed last year, but we had to go away for 10 days and we had nobody to water them, so most died. I attempted to bring the survivors with me when we moved house, but they gave up the ghost too. I will try again with some fresh seed next spring.

When you say "good cream" what are you looking for? We use full fat crème fraîche in cooking, or the Elle & Vire Normandy crème fleurette pouring cream in the chequered cartons from the chiller cabinet. It comes in pouring cream and double cream consistencies. We don't use the cartons of cream off the grocery shelves because it is usually the sterilised variety.
I think I used the chequered one when I made the childrens curry last night, it was a bit bitter so I added a little honey, turned out quite nice. I'll see what they say tonight.
I thought I might try to grow my own chilli too.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

I use this company for my fix.

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk

I have noticed that the Grand Frais chain are starting with a few Indian lines now.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

I went in the Asia Market shop in the Galleon (sp?) arcade again today. He does a wide range of stuff for Japanese and Thai cookery, including fresh lemongrass, and he does frozen spring rolls, dumplings etc. and exotic frozen fish.

There are all kinds of dried & fresh noodles & rices. Also packets of spices, including tamarind paste. Lots of dried red chillies, chilli pastes, hot pepper sauces etc. but no fresh green ones.

He even had a jar of Patak's curry paste, but not much else of an Indian variety.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

We get loads of stuff like this from our local Chinese wholesaler. They carry a lot more Indian things these days.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can anyone recommend a good indian restaurant in the aix les bains Chambery area? We have passed a few but cannot find any reviews on them.