Reload this Page >

Increased taxes on second home

Increased taxes on second home

Old Sep 3rd 2023, 6:02 am
Just Joined

FrancoPhil02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Increased taxes on second home

Hello good people of the forum,

I am going to France for 6 months over autumn and winter to look for a "second" home. Having read a few headlines regarding a rise in taxes on second homes, I was hoping for some more details from anyone who owns a second home in France. I tend to be of the opinion that modern day journalism can be rather sensationalist and therefore tends to focus on extreme cases.
What is the French definition of a "second" home? Is it somewhere unoccupied for more than 6 months in the year? I live and rent in Germany and own no other property in France. I do however pay taxes in Germany and will always do so, considering pensions are also taxed. Therefore Germany must be considered as my primary residency.

I would be grateful for any advice and information you can give me. Or if you can point me to the relevant France Gov webpage where this is covered? Thank you in advance.

Phillip
Old Sep 3rd 2023, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Increased taxes on second home

Hi,
The newspaper reports were exaggerated anti-EU journalism of the worst kind.
One example quoted a property tax of 1400 € a month on a 50k€ property.
It would be more like 1400€ a year.
The additional tax is only applied in certain towns that include large cities and many communes around the coast.
This also applies in places like Brittany where a lot of Brits have holiday homes.
You can find a list of those councils online that can apply the extra charge.
The reason given for the additional charge is to discourage people from having properties lying empty for the majority of the year.
If you declare your home as a primary residence then you will be expected to pay French income tax.
When you register as the owner of the property then you have to declare if it is a primary or secondary residence.
There are two property taxes in France. Taxe Fonciere and Taxe d'habitation.
Taxe d'H has been discontinued for primary residences but is still payable for secondary residencies.
Taxe d'H can be subject to the additional charge only in the listed communes.
This charge has been described as Macron punishing Brits for Brexit.
This is nonsense. It applies to everyone (including the French) who owns a second home in France.
HTH
Old Sep 4th 2023, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Andyj100 will become famous soon enoughAndyj100 will become famous soon enough

I think I read the same article in the DM.

The (very long) list is here

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/...XT000047998521

it's probably easier to search by the name of your commune as they are not in numerical order by department..

Mine is on the list, so I an just waiting for the 1400 EUR a month bill to arrive

My understanding is that communes CAN increase the tax if they want. I'm assuming my alpine village will not want to put people off being flats and chalets built specifically as holiday homes.

My taxe fonciere just arrived up 12%

Last edited by Andyj100; Sep 4th 2023 at 6:33 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi,
The newspaper reports were exaggerated anti-EU journalism of the worst kind.
One example quoted a property tax of 1400 € a month on a 50k€ property.
It would be more like 1400€ a year.
The additional tax is only applied in certain towns that include large cities and many communes around the coast.
This also applies in places like Brittany where a lot of Brits have holiday homes.
You can find a list of those councils online that can apply the extra charge.
The reason given for the additional charge is to discourage people from having properties lying empty for the majority of the year.
If you declare your home as a primary residence then you will be expected to pay French income tax.
When you register as the owner of the property then you have to declare if it is a primary or secondary residence.
There are two property taxes in France. Taxe Fonciere and Taxe d'habitation.
Taxe d'H has been discontinued for primary residences but is still payable for secondary residencies.
Taxe d'H can be subject to the additional charge only in the listed communes.
This charge has been described as Macron punishing Brits for Brexit.
This is nonsense. It applies to everyone (including the French) who owns a second home in France.
HTH
Hi, This was also reported on tv by Euro news the other night, my friend has been left some money and was/is thinking of buying a property in France to use for holidays and also watched this report, she is now contacting certain French departments to try and gain more information before my friends starts looking at properties.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Post #3 above gives a list of the communes - NOT departements - where the charge can be increased.
There is a map and a list of the communes affected.
The increase is mainly in high tourist areas and areas with many secondary homes.
1000€ a year is a high charge for taxe d'habitation and even a 60% increase would be 600€
Taxe fonciere is not affected.
If your friend decides not to buy a house because of 600€ then perhaps they shouldn't buy a second home at all.
The figure of £1400 a month is total nonsense on a house costing 50,000€
I suspect that is 1400€ a year for both taxe fonciere and taxe d'habitation
I am really angry with the DM for such a poorly written and scaremongering article.
Wales has a similar surcharge on second homes.
Old Nov 6th 2023, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

It is my imagination, or is the taxe d'habitation demand late this year?

I've paid my taxes foncieres already. I'm guessing they are still trying decide how much to put it up
Old Nov 7th 2023, 5:20 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andyj100
It is my imagination, or is the taxe d'habitation demand late this year?

I've paid my taxes foncieres already. I'm guessing they are still trying decide how much to put it up
I had exactly the same feeling/ question.... Deciding to check it out today.

They are late...... But I received the demande, coincidentally at just after 4am this morning.

They 'got me' in the end !!!

Jon
Old Nov 7th 2023, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

amazing, mine arrived overnight as well!

Up 16.8%, but still not exactly 1400 EUR/month