British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Importing a car into France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/importing-car-into-france-891466/)

Peter219 Feb 12th 2017 7:00 am

Importing a car into France

Hello All
I am thinking of bringing a newish car to France, to register here. Leaving aside LHD/RHD considerations, would I be liable for any import/VAT tax on bringing a six month old car in to the country? I know I would have to pay a fee for the immatriculation (registration).
I have asked around and have had a variety of opinions...some say 20% tax on its value would be levied if it is less than 1 year and 6000 miles old. Some say six months,6000 km, some two years! It seems odd to be levied a tax in an EU country when VAT has already been paid at the time of original purchase of he car.
Does anyone know the current rules, or where to find them?
Thanks in advance
Peter

EuroTrash Feb 12th 2017 7:23 am

Re: Importing a car into France

L’importation en France d’un véhicule - France-Diplomatie - Ministère des Affaires étrangères et du Développement international
It's classed as a new car up to 6 months / 6000km, therefore subject to TVA, after which it becomes a used car and no taxes payable.

En matière d’échanges intracommunautaires est considéré comme véhicule neuf un véhicule ayant moins de 6 mois ou ayant parcouru moins de 6 000 km au jour de son importation en France et comme véhicule d’occasion un véhicule qui a plus de 6 mois et a parcouru plus de 6 000 km au jour de son introduction en France.

It also explains that if it's classed as a new vehicle at the time of import and therefore you have to pay TVA on it in France, you can reclaim the tax you paid in the EU state of origin.

Im_and_Er Feb 12th 2017 2:58 pm

6 months/6000 km, the former is a matter of record on the registration document, the latter you can bet the farm that nobody will ever ask for proof of.

That said depending on what it is and what Certificate of Conformity you obtain for it it may need to go to a French dealer for them to attest that it conforms to French rules in terms of things like headlights and fog lights, and if the speedo does read under 6000km, and if it's noted on the dealers report, and if somebody at the prefecture notices it and knows the 6000km rule then you might be getting your cheque book out for rather more than the registration fee and eco tax of course if applicable.

BTW if it were brand new and you hadn't purchased it VAT free then you would be charged VAT in France but with proof of that you could claim the original VAT back from HMRC.

Peter219 Feb 12th 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks both..that is really helpful.
Peter