Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Import Tax on a Christmas Present!!!!

Import Tax on a Christmas Present!!!!

Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Import Tax on a Christmas Present!!!!

Just got an Avis de Passage for a parcel that's arrived from my dad in the US - asshole Douanes have slapped a €195 tax on it!
It's Christmas gifts for my little girl! Anyone know if there is any way of getting out of this? I am pretty certain it's stuff from the outlet malls and there is NO way the value of the contents is €1000 to justify the 20% TVA.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import Tax on a Christmas Present!!!!

Its a problem with almost anything you import from the US into the EU if it is picked up by the customs be it France, UK etc.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Its a problem with almost anything you import from the US into the EU if it is picked up by the customs be it France, UK etc.
EVEN if it's a gift???
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Had your dad filled out a customs declaration and stuck it to the parcel?
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't know about France but both the UK and the USA have a value above which they charge - gifts included.
For the UK duty is charged on items which cost more than £135. VAT is charged on items costing more than £15.
I had a similar problem when I took a wedding gift to the USA.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Had your dad filled out a customs declaration and stuck it to the parcel?
I assume so .... he's been sending stuff over, several times a year, for years.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 8:11 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Several times a year might be the reason why it was picked up ??
Old Dec 6th 2014, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Several times a year might be the reason why it was picked up ??
Doubtful - I have just moved house and changed my name - I've had stuff arrive at my office, at the old house etc ... I think it's because there is a bottle of perfume and it's Christmas ...

I spoke to the post office today who said I could refuse it and it would be returned at no extra cost. €145 TVA on a bunch of stuff with a total value of €150 ... they said I could contest the charges but we all know how helpful and nice the douanes are!!

In the meantime my pressie is in the post office ... I will probably refuse it as I could take the €195 and buy quite a lot in France for that.. PFFFF
Old Dec 8th 2014, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by beigey
EVEN if it's a gift???
If that made a difference everything sent over would be declared as a gift !

Knowing what's in the package would help in determining the reason for the apparently excessive duty, and if the declaration matches it.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I just bought a watch from the US for my wife to give me (haha) as a Christmas gift.

I had to pay tax on it.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Next time, has tell him to order via Amazon Fr. That is how I order gifts for my parents in France.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 5:17 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Or from Amazon.co.uk as they often have a better selection but they don't always deliver to France.