Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Idiots guide to the Brevet

Idiots guide to the Brevet

Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idiots guide to the Brevet

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You can get into Lycee general even with very low Brevet marks.
Correct, this has changed since my day when the contrôle continu didn't count....
The Directeur of the Collège has full discretion as to whether to orient a "poor" pupil towards a Lycée Général at the parents' request. The Brevet is no longer indispensable for enrolling in a Lycée, except apparently if the pupil intends to become a Fonctionnaire or take other Concours later.
@CS - well done to CS Junior!
Old Jul 27th 2018, 8:28 am
Just Joined

diparkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Idiots guide to the Brevet

Hi my grandson, who is trilingual - french, english, spanish verbally, but dyslexic, failed his brevet.

He is not 16 until the end of september so could presumably repeat a year of college.? His relationship with last college was not good

He has had an awful time (mother died 3 years ago) father has moved him to 12 different schools in 4 countries. He is very keen to continue his education.

he lives in France but has dual nationality and would like to be in uk from age of 18.

Any suggestions on what he could do to get the brevet?

We would be happy to look at private education here in france; he lives in the Haut Garonne south of Toulouse
thanks

He is very talented as a usician
Old Jul 27th 2018, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diparkin
Hi my grandson, who is trilingual - french, english, spanish verbally, but dyslexic, failed his brevet.

He is not 16 until the end of september so could presumably repeat a year of college.? His relationship with last college was not good

He has had an awful time (mother died 3 years ago) father has moved him to 12 different schools in 4 countries. He is very keen to continue his education.

he lives in France but has dual nationality and would like to be in uk from age of 18.

Any suggestions on what he could do to get the brevet?

We would be happy to look at private education here in france; he lives in the Haut Garonne south of Toulouse
thanks

He is very talented as a usician
Welcome to the forum!
I note that this thread originated early 2017, but no matter, although it may have been advisable to open a new thread in order to get more feedback.

"12 different schools in 4 countries!" That is so unsettling for any child, and can have serious consequences.
As I understand it, the brevet does not mean the end of studies in college, and I believe the candidates who do not obtain it can continue their schooling in high school. Statistically I've read that in 7/10 cases, candidates who do not obtain their brevet continue on a professional path.
In my opinion a repeat of a year in college (or lycee) does far more good than harm. Our son lost face when requested to repeat a year in lycee, and we found a private school to the south of Haute-Garonne which certainly put him on the path to success. He too was a talented young musician and we were advised by a pro that he should attend a music conservatoire, which he did for a few years, an establishment in Haute-Garonne which was highly recommended.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 27th 2018 at 9:41 am.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 4:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well, your grandson could ask to re-do the last year. However, the authorities like to have some kind of assurance that his grades will improve if they do this. Why did he "fail"? Was it poor support from the school for his dyslexia; will that improve? Family circumstances that have since improved? Immaturity on his part? If he re-does the year, do you think he will do better or is time to move on? This route is probably the easiest to manage but may not be in this young man'sbest interests.
You don't need to "pass" the Brevet to get into Lycee - but the lycee will need to be convinced that he will cope with his studies.

There are plenty of 'anglophone" kids in Haute Garonne with dyslexia/autism I suggest you google for support groups.
I thought there was a private college/lycee in Toulouse that was particularly good with special needs kids -my friend wanted to send her daughter there - but that is all I know.

Regulars - please note that I am not going off on one of my rants about the abysmal support for special needs kids in France!!!!