Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Ice Cream Addict Needs Fix ....

Ice Cream Addict Needs Fix ....

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:02 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ice Cream Addict Needs Fix ....

After driving the 20 miles from our nearest Lidl at top speed with a boot full of ice cream so it won't melt before we get home, I have decided it would be easier (and safer) to make my own.

Now, I can only find recipes with double cream which, as we know, is hard if not impossible to find here "en France".

Anyone got a recipe for nice vanilla ice cream that is "makeable" here in France with the Creme Liquide or some other ingredients?

You could be a life-saver in more ways than one!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ice Cream Addict Needs Fix ....

OK
I use crème liquide in place of double for my recipes and it generally works out fine; however my icecream book offers this recipe with no need for cream; no idea of the taste

vanilla gelato

1 lge vanilla pod
600ml milk
75g cater sugar
6 lge egg yolks, beaten
1tsp vanilla essence

1; Open the vanilla pod and scrape out the seed, reserving them for later
Heat the pod in the milk with the sugar, stirring until dissolved

2; beat egg yolks until slightly thickened and pale in colour, then pour into the hot milk, whisking all the time. Pour out into a jug then rinse the pan in cold water. Return the mix to the panand heat gently. Stir constantly until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and stir in the reserved seeds. Allow to cool completely

3; Remove the vanilla pod (you can rinse and store for later use). Taste the custard, it should have a really strong vanilla flavour but you can add vanilla essence to enhance it if you wish,

4. Add the mix to the ice cream machine and freeze churn

hope the helps the cravings!!
michele
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
After driving the 20 miles from our nearest Lidl at top speed with a boot full of ice cream so it won't melt before we get home, I have decided it would be easier (and safer) to make my own.

Now, I can only find recipes with double cream which, as we know, is hard if not impossible to find here "en France".

Anyone got a recipe for nice vanilla ice cream that is "makeable" here in France with the Creme Liquide or some other ingredients?

You could be a life-saver in more ways than one!!!!!

Just an idea, but have you tried making frozen yogurt Andy?
This recipe is delicious

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1654692
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

You can do frozen yoghourt on sticks too. you can buy lollipop moulds in most big stores - fill with favourite yoghourt, add stick in the middle and into the deepfreeze. The kids love them!

Alternatively, if you bought one of those small car deepfreeze units which work off the cigarette lighter, you could get your commercial icecream back home without hassle!!

Last edited by Roger O; Sep 23rd 2009 at 6:49 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:41 am
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Here's a fairly simple method to use as the basis for modification as you wish:
Ingredients
Egg yolks 4
Caster sugar 100g (4oz.)
Milk 290ml (½ pt)
Single cream 290ml (½ pt)
Vanilla essence 2.5ml (½ tsp)

Method
  • Separate the egg yolks and blend with the sugar in a food processor.
  • Heat the milk to boiling point; pour on the egg/sugar mix and return to the heat.
  • Heat the mixture, stirring constantly, until it thickens but do not allow it to boil.
  • Cool the custard by standing the pan in a cold water bath until the temperature is reduced to approximately 40°C.
  • Stir in the cream and vanilla essence (flavouring) and measure the temperature of the mix.
  • Pour the mix into an ice cream maker or manually churn repeatedly as you (rapidly) bring the temperature down to below freezing.
  • Freeze / churn the mix for approximately 20 minutes or until its consistency appears satisfactory.
  • Place the new mix into a plastic container to complete the hardening process in a still freezer.

Obviously, the more you can churn it as it freezes down the smoother it will be, as you break up the ice crystals as they form and introduce more air (technically called 'over-run').
If you don't churn it and simply still-freeze it, you will end up with a sorbet-like consistency.

Last edited by analyst; Sep 24th 2009 at 10:44 am.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:34 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by analyst
Here's a fairly simple method to use as the basis for modification as you wish:
Ingredients
Egg yolks 4
Caster sugar 100g (4oz.)
Milk 290ml (½ pt)
Single cream 290ml (½ pt)
Vanilla essence 2.5ml (½ tsp)

Method
  • Separate the egg yolks and blend with the sugar in a food processor.
  • Heat the milk to boiling point; pour on the egg/sugar mix and return to the heat.
  • Heat the mixture, stirring constantly, until it thickens but do not allow it to boil.
  • Cool the custard by standing the pan in a cold water bath until the temperature is reduced to approximately 40°C.
  • Stir in the cream and vanilla essence (flavouring) and measure the temperature of the mix.
  • Pour the mix into an ice cream maker or manually churn repeatedly as you (rapidly) bring the temperature down to below freezing.
  • Freeze / churn the mix for approximately 20 minutes or until its consistency appears satisfactory.
  • Place the new mix into a plastic container to complete the hardening process in a still freezer.

Obviously, the more you can churn it as it freezes down the smoother it will be, as you break up the ice crystals as they form and introduce more air (technically called 'over-run').
If you don't churn it and simply still-freeze it, you will end up with a sorbet-like consistency.

haagen-dazs fan me
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

If you have an intermarche try their own brand ice cream. We like the coffee flavour.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:46 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow guys, what brillo replies! I have every intention of trying every one of them. I did try making some at the weekend with some custard and creme fraiche and the flavour was great, but I got those ice crystals despite taking it out the freezer every 15 minutes for the first 2 hours and then every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours - bugger!

Looked for an ice cream maker the other day in Intermarche but they didn't have one and stuff here like that is SO dear, but we have to go back to England for a duty visit before Xmas so I'll buy one there - any recommendations for a particular make?