I Have A Dream

Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Have A Dream

Novo, my LW started with Madhur Jaffrey, and still prefers her, as the ingredients are a bit less obscure, and hence easier to obtain.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Ade T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Novo, my LW started with Madhur Jaffrey, and still prefers her, as the ingredients are a bit less obscure, and hence easier to obtain.
Hi

In my opinion none of the jars taste like a proper British Indian Takeaway/Restaurant curry.

The base sauce from which most of the above curries are produced from is quite easy to make and then you add your spices to make your Madras, Bhuna, Rogan Josh etc.

Does anyone think there would be a French market for that product (sauce with separate spices) shipped out form over here?

You've got me thinking there may be another way of making a living over there if the restaurant is not an option!

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I think if you buy this one, you'll never need another Indian cook book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Indian-...ndian+cookbook
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ade T
Hi

In my opinion none of the jars taste like a proper British Indian Takeaway/Restaurant curry.

The base sauce from which most of the above curries are produced from is quite easy to make and then you add your spices to make your Madras, Bhuna, Rogan Josh etc.

Does anyone think there would be a French market for that product (sauce with separate spices) shipped out form over here?

You've got me thinking there may be another way of making a living over there if the restaurant is not an option!

Cheers
Ade,

People over here tend to do their own cooking. Mrs Bigglesworth and, I suspect Mrs Novo, already make up their own sauces.

For the ready made, there is already a plentiful supply. Leclerc generally stoick Pataks and Sharwoods, as do Super U and Carrefour. There are several English shops that stock Geeta etc.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by loy loy
I think if you buy this one, you'll never need another Indian cook book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Indian-...ndian+cookbook
Looks good Loy Loy

Perhaps I will buy it as a Valentines present for Mrs B next year!
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good Loy Loy

Perhaps I will buy it as a Valentines present for Mrs B next year!
Oi. Illegal copyright violation!
Old Mar 10th 2014, 6:38 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

I use http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk for all my indian supplies and have a couple of very gook cook books and the most recent Rick Stein one although I do think the proof reader and editor was off the day it was checked for mistakes.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oi. Illegal copyright violation!
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:36 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
I use http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk for all my indian supplies and have a couple of very gook cook books and the most recent Rick Stein one although I do think the proof reader and editor was off the day it was checked for mistakes.
I use Spices of India too - some very nice authentic sauces. I go for the Gits ready meals and use them as sauces, because it's so hard to get a good dhansak anywhere. I also have a Madhur Jaffrey book and do the leg of lamb with yogurt and spices for Christmas dinner. I would really like a complete takeaway though as I have so many more things to do than cooking!
We do have a curry night at the local bar around here once a month, and pick it up the next day so it's almost a takeaway, very good and just like a restaurant curry.
There's a thought Ade, maybe contact some British run bars with the idea of doing 1 night a month in different areas.

Last edited by Harvester523; Mar 10th 2014 at 7:43 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Novo Mrs B tried Rick Steins Rogan Josh last night - it was absolutely wonderful. (She has always used Madhur Jaffreys recipe before).
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 4:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Novo Mrs B tried Rick Steins Rogan Josh last night - it was absolutely wonderful. (She has always used Madhur Jaffreys recipe before).
Thanks for the tip: unfortunately Mrs. C is in the UK at the moment, so I'll have to wait a couple for weeks to confirm. Meanwhile it's chili, spag. bol. and scrambled egg for me. (Not all at once).
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

If Mrs C does get a Round Tuit, I am reliably informed that the difference between Kashmiri and ordinary chilli powder is crucial. I do like a hot curry myself, but this was undeniably very warm indeed. And it was HALF the quantity in the recipe.
I have checked on Spices of India, and Kashmiri is milder and sweeter.