I Have A Dream

Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Ade T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I Have A Dream

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
There are at least 4 Indian restaurants I know of in Toulouse centre ville all in the same alleyway 300 yards around the corner from the Crown Plaza every time we have been they were full of French folk. Things like their Tikka Masala's are a tad too sweet but the over all experience is better than having a Chinese meal.

I do think the OP's dream is highly feasible with a lot of work and skimming but I would be curious to the OP's catering experience as cooking for 25 to 35 covers in the evening is very different to knocking together sunday lunch. He would be advised to spend a year in an Indian Kitchen in the UK first. Busy kitchens can make or break you or just turn you into an good old fashioned alcoholic.
That's the plan sir - The kitchen bit that is, not the alcoholic!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmread
the equivalent of local councils do much more for you in France than they do in the UK, which is nothing.
I'm not sure what cutbacks there have been but it used to be that there was excellent free business startup advice and ongoing support available in France. To access it you had to be registered as a jobseeker at the pole emploi but that was no problem really, you could register as soon you moved here and then if you said you wanted to create an enteprise you would be referred to a business advisor who would guide you through market research, business plan, funding, choosing your regime etc etc. It was there for the taking and I never understood why so many Brits turned their noses up at it and insisted on trying to go it alone. But it's a long time since I looked into all that and there may not be so much free support on offer now.

Don't let 'headline' tax rates take you in. All the things mentioned above are a tax on business and life in general in the UK. When the roads are full of pot holes, when the trains don't run, when the rubbish isn't collected for weeks at a time, when you can't get an appointment with a GP unless you call at exactly 8 am 10 days in advance, then you find out what the real rate of tax is. It's not just the amount of tax you pay, but what you get for it.
That is true up to a point but it is also true that private enterprise is Hollande's favourite cash cow. Business taxes pay the fonctionnaires' wages and help personal income tax stay relatively low, and there are no concessions for businesses with low turnovers. Having moved my very small business from the UK to France I'm now paying approximately 100 times more in charges, say around 5,000€ pa as compared to around £500. I work harder and earn significantly more money but I have significantly less disposable income. Now I am not saying I begrudge this, but I can't honestly say that I feel I get 100 times more for my money. I'm not talking about headline tax and I'm not talking about the quality of life you get for the tax you pay, I'm just saying, from experience, that if you want to run a business in France you have to forget all about UK business models and base your calculations on the French model.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:38 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
There are at least 4 Indian restaurants I know of in Toulouse centre ville
I agree that there are Indian restos in cities, University or touristy towns, but the OP is talking about Vendée.
I would say too much competition in the former and not enough customers in the latter. A great deal of research is necessary....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:56 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I agree that there are Indian restos in cities, University or touristy towns, but the OP is talking about Vendée.
I would say too much competition in the former and not enough customers in the latter. A great deal of research is necessary....
To be fair I hadn't noticed the location and if the south coast is anything to go by I suspect the west side is really quiet in the winter. Probably are better areas to aim for I would look for touristic regions that allow you to bank lots in the summer like Argeles sur mer in the south absolute cash cow in the summer and in the winter you put your hands to something else. Im not that clued up on west coast towns but I'm sure some of them get pretty busy as the windsurfing is good over there.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Mar 7th 2014 at 5:00 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Having moved my very small business from the UK to France I'm now paying approximately 100 times more in charges, say around 5,000€ pa as compared to around £500.
On second thoughts, make that 10 times. Never was much good at maths
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:02 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please, move to the Creuse and I will love you forever!
The Indian restaurants in Limoges tend to be Sri Lankan, and it was surprising how many French people were customers, however, any food oriented business is going to be tough!
There used to be someone who supplied in bulk from the UK but disappeared. if you could replace that, and deliver to our freezer, we'd be a customer. We're even prepared to distribute to the local expats - anything for a decent curry!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:27 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Good gracious, I remember A place in France, with the ghastly Nigel....Nippy ended up on Saturday morning cooking I seem to recall.

We had an 'Indian' in Le Mans, and it seemed to do quite well. The French often seem to like a different cuisine as it makes them feel international. Something like an upmarket Balti might go down quite well with sizzling dishes with the corporate luncheon crowd, depending on location. We had two 'Indians' in Angers too.

Yes, I'd be nervous about the start up costs involved, it's going to end up double whatever you plan for. If you go for it, very best of luck! I wish you happy dreams, and no nightmares
Old Mar 7th 2014, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
+1. I searched for Indian restaurants in Normandy (on tripadviser) and 15 showed up, but all in the cities of Caen, Rouen, Cherbourg plus one in each of Lisieux and St. Lo.

Edit: We've had lunch at one of them in Cherbourg and we were (as far as I could tell) the only non-French people in there.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 7th 2014 at 10:02 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that restaurants have been quieter over the last couple of years.
We were in our local restaurant 4 weeks ago where we are well known and our party of 4 was the only table taken on a Friday night - that is the first
time we have ever had the resto to ourselves.
The previous visit they were turning people away because they had a couple of large groups.
I think that it is a difficult time to open a restaurant in both the UK and France at this point in the economic cycle.
I have also noticed that the major hypermarkets and Monoprix are now selling Patak's curry sauces and nan bread.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Please, move to the Creuse and I will love you forever!
The Indian restaurants in Limoges tend to be Sri Lankan, and it was surprising how many French people were customers, however, any food oriented business is going to be tough!
There used to be someone who supplied in bulk from the UK but disappeared. if you could replace that, and deliver to our freezer, we'd be a customer. We're even prepared to distribute to the local expats - anything for a decent curry!
Harvester, mousetohouse do frozen deliveries from an Indian restaurant in the UK. I haven't tried it myself as my lovely wife taught herself how to cook Indian from scratch, knowing how addicted I am.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 2:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Harvester, mousetohouse do frozen deliveries from an Indian restaurant in the UK. I haven't tried it myself as my lovely wife taught herself how to cook Indian from scratch, knowing how addicted I am.
+1. I bought an Indian cook book for the OH on Valentine's Day and we have several sources for ingredients nearby. Best present I ever gave myself.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Novo, you old romantic, you. I hope you at least wrapped it in flowery paper!

BTW did you catch Rick Steins India? We did and bought the book, and have had several absolutely GREAT meals from it.

I am one very happy guinea pig!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novo, you old romantic, you. I hope you at least wrapped it in flowery paper!

BTW did you catch Rick Steins India? We did and bought the book, and have had several absolutely GREAT meals from it.

I am one very happy guinea pig!
That's exactly the one I bought too. Delicious recipes.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:26 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh thanks, I'll look for that.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Lurcher21 is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing, though, if you plan to open a restaurant, don't think you can run it in the manner that restos are often run in the UK. People here have high standards. They want good food and good service. They certainly don't want to be served by some whinging waitress who couldn't care one way or the other if she is serving dog meat.
I've been in a few French-run restaurants and could describe the waitresses in exactly that way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.