Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hybrid baby, passports and the British embassy

Hybrid baby, passports and the British embassy

Old May 7th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hybrid baby, passports and the British embassy

If I have a baby who is half French/half English but born in France, taking my surname but not that of my partner (we're PACsed but not married), do I need to register them with the British Embassy (which is very expensive) for the purposes of travelling abroad (i.e. having a passport for the baby, or being able to add the baby to my own passport)? I read something on another forum, but the British Embassy makes for very confusing reading, and most people's situation involved babies born in France but from two British parents.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:58 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hybrid baby, passports and the British embassy

Originally Posted by G-J-B
If I have a baby who is half French/half English but born in France, taking my surname but not that of my partner (we're PACsed but not married), do I need to register them with the British Embassy (which is very expensive) for the purposes of travelling abroad (i.e. having a passport for the baby, or being able to add the baby to my own passport)? I read something on another forum, but the British Embassy makes for very confusing reading, and most people's situation involved babies born in France but from two British parents.
You and I are opposite. It's my twos' father who is French and they've had Cartes d'Identité since they were born. I registered them at the British Consulate (and don't recollect paying the earth for it but this was in the 1980s), and it certainly made life easier when I wanted to put them on my British Passport and when they got their own. So it would be highly recommended to register him/her at the Embassy, to save hassle later on.
I don't think you as the father can put Junior on your Passport rather than on the mother's. I just googled "enfants de pacsés" and it would appear that they are legally considered illegitimate Go on www.service-public.fr, then click on Famille, then Enfant (Vos droits et démarches Famille), then Filiation, then Etablissement de la Filiation à l'égard des parents non mariés, which tells you what to do about acknowledging the child. It might be an idea to enquire at the Etat-Civil of your Mairie, they'll be able to tell you all your rights and what steps you must take.
Sorry that I can't help more, apart from recommending registering Junior at the British Consulate ASAP. Hope that other BEs know people in the same situation who can advise.
P.S. Do I conclude that Junior has arrived? Félicitations!
Old May 7th 2009, 10:40 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe England recognizes your common law status, The Child has taken your Surname. And can now have a British Passport of it's own as British Law requires all Children no matter what age have their own passport, as babies they get renewed more often. Get the new Passport Application off the web site and send it in with the French Birth Certificate given to you by the Marie's Office. Your in Paris so it should be no issue popping in and speaking with the consulate. The Paris Office is very helpful although when phoning there can be a wait, When our little girl was born we didn't think to get her passport and had to get back to the UK quick before my Grandad died the lady we spoke to got a two day turn around on a new passport by Courier Service, We were amazed, As we had never registered her birth and just had the funny looking French Birth Cert. Don't Forget it can have the French one as well, But don't they still keep enfants on a parents passport here I don't know that one.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The baby only needs one British parent to be British by descent regardless of which country they are born in.
All my daughter did in Spain was send the birth certificate and photos to the Brit Embassy in Madrid, obviously you would send them to Paris as Ka Ora said.
There is nothing to say you have to have a Brit passport, but the baby will need a passport of some country to get into the UK if you want to.

Last edited by jdr; May 8th 2009 at 6:17 am.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Two of our three were born overseas and we registered their birth at the British Embassy - more for proof of citizenship than anything else.
You never know what they will want to do in the future, so not a bad idea to get it done.
Is this the page you were looking at on the British Embassy website?
http://ukinfrance.fco.gov.uk/resourc...h-reg-15042009
Old May 8th 2009, 8:27 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Me again. According to "Service-Public", French children aren't mentioned on parents' passports any more. So Junior can have a Carte d'Identité free which will allow travel in the EU accompanied by a parent "with parental authority" or later alone with a "sortie du territoire" (for school trips, for example), while under-age. But if you want to travel to England with Junior and without your OH, you'll need a document with your "parental authority" officially mentioned (presumably obtained during the "reconnaissance" procedure.)
He/she'll be dual nationality, no problem, but unless you intend to travel outside of the EU in the near future, IMHO there's no real hurry to get a British (or French) Passport. Once again, I do urge you to register the birth at the British Consulate, whatever...
Old May 8th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I'm overwhelmed with all the helpful responses - thanks everyone. The baby's not quite here yet, and I won't be travelling outside of Europe.
My main concern was that if I wanted to go to England with the baby by myself it might be harder to prove the baby was mine, or if my partner took the baby (we don't share the same surname) by herself I wasn't sure if they'd be problems. I can see benefits of registering with the British consulate, but their charges seem pretty excessive, so was wondering if I could avoid it. From the advice given it would appear I'm better not to scrimp.

Val - I don't know why, but for some reason that link wants to open as a Word document.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My main concern was that if I wanted to go to England with the baby by myself it might be harder to prove the baby was mine, or if my partner took the baby (we don't share the same surname) by herself I wasn't sure if they'd be problems.
Hi!
As I said, you'd have to go through the "reconnaissance" procedure in order to prove that the baby is yours. No problem so long as you have officially acknowledged your child at the Etat-Civil of the Mairie (of the place of birth, btw, not of your domicile) and your name presumably appears on "it's" birth certificate.
Good luck to mother-to-be when the time comes!
D.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi!
As I said, you'd have to go through the "reconnaissance" procedure in order to prove that the baby is yours. No problem so long as you have officially acknowledged your child at the Etat-Civil of the Mairie (of the place of birth, btw, not of your domicile) and your name presumably appears on "it's" birth certificate.
Good luck to mother-to-be when the time comes!
D.
Sometimes at the customs you may need a letter of approval from the other parent if you are traveling alone with the child.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
Sometimes at the customs you may need a letter of approval from the other parent if you are traveling alone with the child.
You're right, it may be advisable, although at Passport Control rather. There are so many stories of non-French fathers trying to take their children out of France without the mother's consent. The French are hyper-sensitive in child protection matters....
Old May 8th 2009, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
That is Law in France See "French parental authority requirements"and"sortie du territoire requirements"

Last edited by Ka Ora!; May 8th 2009 at 12:41 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
That is Law in France See "French parental authority requirements"and"sortie du territoire requirements"
Thought that they had brought a law in, in the late 70`s we used to drive down to St Tropez with the kids and usually two or three of their mates for holidays, I think there is also one on how many children in one vehicle now,after a minibus full got wiped out.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Thought that they had brought a law in, in the late 70`s we used to drive down to St Tropez with the kids and usually two or three of their mates for holidays, I think there is also one on how many children in one vehicle now,after a minibus full got wiped out.
Im not sure but all School buses had the Driver Plus at least one extra Adult so the driver does not have to be distracted by children. School Buses in the UK are a Nightmare well they were when I went to school back in the stone age.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Im not sure but all School buses had the Driver Plus at least one extra Adult so the driver does not have to be distracted by children. School Buses in the UK are a Nightmare well they were when I went to school back in the stone age.
My OH used to play shot-gun for the driver, our neighbour, when he drove all the primary school kids to and from the various hamlets. A nightmare it often was...
I think it's an offence here to have more bodies than car seats in private vehicles. The Gendarmerie would probably sanction the driver if 4 children were squashed on the back seat, for example.
But we're getting off-topic
Old May 8th 2009, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
My OH used to play shot-gun for the driver, our neighbour, when he drove all the primary school kids to and from the various hamlets. A nightmare it often was...
I think it's an offence here to have more bodies than car seats in private vehicles. The Gendarmerie would probably sanction the driver if 4 children were squashed on the back seat, for example.
But we're getting off-topic
Nah the Topic has been covered, Anyway more of a Flake man myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.