Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

husband died how transfer car to me

husband died how transfer car to me

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

chateaugeoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default husband died how transfer car to me

hi, my friend's husband has died and as she does not drive so needs to sell the car. A dealer has told her that as she is not the registered owner she cannot sell it. What does she do ? urgent help required. She lives in mayenne region
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: husband died how transfer car to me

Originally Posted by chateaugeoff
hi, my friend's husband has died and as she does not drive so needs to sell the car. A dealer has told her that as she is not the registered owner she cannot sell it. What does she do ? urgent help required. She lives in mayenne region
Any car for sale must have a registration document (le certificat d'immatriculation), more commonly known as la carte gris. This form should be accompanied by both a mechanical service certificate (certificat de contrôle techniquae), and something called a certificat de non-gage, which proves that the car is fully owned by the seller and not fully or partially in the control of a third party, that is to say, a previous seller or a credit company. Moreover, since 1994, everyone selling a car must obtain a certificate from the police, which proves that the vehicle is not subject to any legal sanctions. The idea is to block the sale of a car if its owner has more than °Ë450 of unpaid fines.

If your friend has all these documents then she should be able to apply for a new carte grise from the police (préfecture).

One other thing though - wont the car be considered part of her husband's estate? If so, then I am sure she will have to wait for that to be wound up before she can sell the car.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:12 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: husband died how transfer car to me

Originally Posted by chateaugeoff

if she goes to the prefecture with the death cert they will transfer the car in to her name as unless she has children the car is hers if she has children then half the car belongs to them but this would be sorted in the final documentation as for the other docs they are not needed have sold a number of cars and this is not the case just like the uk here it is the purchasers job to check if there is any finance on the car but when you sell a car you need a form from the prefecture that both parties sign and the seller takes the form back to the prefecture same day is best