Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to learn french ?

How long did it take you to learn french ?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:48 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to learn french ?

Glad at last it isn't only me that "lowers the tone"

I have always wanted to know what En Coulez (not sure of spelling) means, as I think this was what that French prime minister said to Margaret Thatcher once.

Our neighbour said he thought it meant b******s (as in dangly bits at the back of a bull), but we didn't believe him, as I would have thought any bloke who was brave enough to say that to Ms T would be dead within a minute ...

Anyone know what it means?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:30 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50

I have always wanted to know what En Coulez (not sure of spelling) means, as I think this was what that French prime minister said to Margaret Thatcher once.

Our neighbour said he thought it meant b******s (as in dangly bits at the back of a bull), but we didn't believe him, as I would have thought any bloke who was brave enough to say that to Ms T would be dead within a minute ...

yes, enculer means to engage in a front-to-back homosexual activity, cul being a relatively vulgar variant of the derrière.
Which French PM was it? Mitterand was elected in 1981, so it must have been one of his. I can't imagine any of them being so brave, unless it was Edith Cresson, who often came out with impolite expressions and didn't last long as PM.....
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:55 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
yes, enculer means to engage in a front-to-back homosexual activity, cul being a relatively vulgar variant of the derrière.
Which French PM was it? Mitterand was elected in 1981, so it must have been one of his. I can't imagine any of them being so brave, unless it was Edith Cresson, who often came out with impolite expressions and didn't last long as PM.....

A lot more interesting the way she got there.

There was a saying at the time ,from a in the street French man,towards Mitterand.
( He can lift as many skirts as he likes,but he must not mess with my money)
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrea50

Thanks for the answers to this. It always helps to know what people are talking about, or not talking about so to speak. It seems Chirac was the master of the bon mot and better at it than Sarkozy. Apparently when someone turned round to him and said 'Connard', which as we all now know (thanks to this thread) is an insult, he turned round and said 'Chirac' as if the man had just introduced himself. Must have been a bit like watching some of those TV programmes where you think why can I never think of a quick riposte under such circumstances.
What may have been said to a certain woman who set women's lib back years was -Vous m'engeuelez - can't imagine anyone tutoying her. Geuele is an animal's jaw and the word is used as a relatively mild insult as in 'Ferme ta gueule' - shut your mouth. To use it as a verb is slang and basically means you really p*** me off, so not much entente cordiale there eh?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

Since someone mentioned Miterrand, there is also this other anecdote concerning "tutoyer".
One person who wanted to be very pally with the new president Miterrand, said "On peut se tutoyer, maintenant, hein?" and Miterrand replied icily: "Si vous voulez....."
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karunia
Since someone mentioned Miterrand, there is also this other anecdote concerning "tutoyer".
One person who wanted to be very pally with the new president Miterrand, said "On peut se tutoyer, maintenant, hein?" and Miterrand replied icily: "Si vous voulez....."
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

busby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nicebusby is just really nice

I thought I knew everything but everyday I learn something new. Running my own bar I've learnt some new slang.

"Un mongolfière" replaces "un ballon" the name of the glass = a glass of wine
"Un foetus" replaces "un baby" = a single whiskey
"Un monacle" replaces "un verre à l'oeuil" = a drink on the house

Do they make them up or spend all evening consulting the dictionary?

The swearwords in Canada seem to be English except "Tabernacle" and "Calice" what sort of swearwords are these?

Try and find someone who actually speaks French. Most people say 'il caille dans la baraque' when they mean 'il fait froid dans la maison'

Admittedly I sometimes put "on" my accent as they love it.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Dictionary,
Tabernacle = Damn!
Calice = Hell!
in Canada.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:29 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

After 7 months in Paris, sharing an office with a Frenchman, 3 hours of one on one French lessons per week, 2 lunches a week with French colleagues where they bully me into only speaking French, practicing every day, I still feel my progress is slow and I am only just starting to come to terms with the conjugations. I suspect that 3 to 4 months to learn French is unrealistic. Having said that, my 18 month daughter has been attending a local creche for 6 weeks and the matron of the creche asked my wife if she is married to a Frenchman because our daughter understands perfectly everything they say to her in French. So maybe its possible for a very young child with a sponge for a brain, soaking up everything. My brain however is full and for every bit of French I add, I feel that I forget something else. What was the question again?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herman
After 7 months in Paris, sharing an office with a Frenchman, 3 hours of one on one French lessons per week, 2 lunches a week with French colleagues where they bully me into only speaking French, practicing every day, I still feel my progress is slow and I am only just starting to come to terms with the conjugations. I suspect that 3 to 4 months to learn French is unrealistic. Having said that, my 18 month daughter has been attending a local creche for 6 weeks and the matron of the creche asked my wife if she is married to a Frenchman because our daughter understands perfectly everything they say to her in French. So maybe its possible for a very young child with a sponge for a brain, soaking up everything. My brain however is full and for every bit of French I add, I feel that I forget something else. What was the question again?
Give it time. My brain was full too, but i took it for a service. Now i know nothing
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:55 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I service mine occasionally, amazing what some new oil (i.e. a nice bordeaux) can do for it. I have a very encouraging French teacher who tells me I am her best student. At lunch last week another one of her students who I happen to know told me I can't be, as she is her best student. Oh how we laughed.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I service mine occasionally, amazing what some new oil (i.e. a nice bordeaux) can do for it. I have a very encouraging French teacher who tells me I am her best student. At lunch last week another one of her students who I happen to know told me I can't be, as she is her best student. Oh how we laughed.
only last week she told me i was

Where do you go for your servive (bordeaux) mine is replaced with table wine
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:56 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Is her name by chance Bruce Forsyth?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stanage2
Is her name by chance Bruce Forsyth?
At your age, you should be in bed now. Get a warm milk and off you go
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by themoose
At your age, you should be in bed now. Get a warm milk and off you go

Look at this,you popping in this time of night,

Had a warm drink Cognac,plus easy day,went to the grand ville.

Plus tonight the fishing is not that good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.