Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How does one obtain French citizenship?

How does one obtain French citizenship?

Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

proteons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does one obtain French citizenship?

Hi, I'm an American, and I want to live and work in Paris. Does anyone know how I can apply for French citizenship/nationality without any connections to France or Europe? Thanks.

Lisa
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does one obtain French citizenship?

Originally Posted by proteons
Hi, I'm an American, and I want to live and work in Paris. Does anyone know how I can apply for French citizenship/nationality without any connections to France or Europe? Thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_nationality_law

Hard to see how you could expect to claim citizenship of a country without having some kind of ties to it, though - whether through birth, descent, marriage or residence.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Lisa

You are kidding, right?? Please say that you're kidding!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

proteons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_nationality_law

Hard to see how you could expect to claim citizenship of a country without having some kind of ties to it, though - whether through birth, descent, marriage or residence.
Then how do people immigrate to other countries? Can't they just apply for citizenship while still residing in their home country?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Then how do people immigrate to other countries? Can't they just apply for citizenship while still residing in their home country?
I am certainly no expert on French immigration, but surely you wouldn't expect/hope to become a citizen of another country without having any ties to it whatsoever would you?? Surely not??

You best chance is probably marrying a French citizen, somehow obtaining citizenship of an EU member state (ideally the UK, Germany, Italy etc rather than the newly joined countries) or somehow persuading the French govt that your skills are required in that country. Ive read that this is extremly difficult and its very very likely that you would need a very high standard of french speaking.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:22 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean citizenship or some sort of visa that allows residence in the country concerned? Try the 'Visiting France' section of the French Embassy in Washington: http://www.ambafrance-us.org/visitingfrance/