Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How do the French schools deal with Dyspraxia?

How do the French schools deal with Dyspraxia?

Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Sally Hiams is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How do the French schools deal with Dyspraxia?

Well, where do I start?

Hubby and I, both in our mid 40's, our 9 year old son and extended family of Granny & Grandad yearn for polite friendly people and a safe and healthier life for us all, but especially for our young son.

We have been trying to make the move and yes, unfortunately everybody seems to be doing it. France seems to hold everything we want and much more too. We are very hard working, and not ones to abuse systems and have always got on with hard work and pulling together. The main thing holding us back is schooling for our son.

He is just 9 and is an only one, so will be totally on his own in a strange classroom. He has dyspraxia too. He is not stupid but finds some things - in his case maths, a real struggle. Are we expecting far too much of him to be able to cope with this in France, as school here can be tough some days. I appreciate there probably are private schools, but dont think we would be rich enough to even consider this.

Please has anybody ideas on anything which may help. We are open to suggestions. We thought an area like perhaps Brittany may have more English children, and therefore he would be able to make friends easier. Is this a good idea or are we really unpopular because we all go there?!
The worst thing too, we do not speak French, we are trying, but well say no more!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody with some snippets of wisdom please.
Thanks in advance
Sal
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do the French schools deal with Dyspraxia?

Originally Posted by Sally Hiams
Well, where do I start?

Hubby and I, both in our mid 40's, our 9 year old son and extended family of Granny & Grandad yearn for polite friendly people and a safe and healthier life for us all, but especially for our young son.

We have been trying to make the move and yes, unfortunately everybody seems to be doing it. France seems to hold everything we want and much more too. We are very hard working, and not ones to abuse systems and have always got on with hard work and pulling together. The main thing holding us back is schooling for our son.

He is just 9 and is an only one, so will be totally on his own in a strange classroom. He has dyspraxia too. He is not stupid but finds some things - in his case maths, a real struggle. Are we expecting far too much of him to be able to cope with this in France, as school here can be tough some days. I appreciate there probably are private schools, but dont think we would be rich enough to even consider this.

Please has anybody ideas on anything which may help. We are open to suggestions. We thought an area like perhaps Brittany may have more English children, and therefore he would be able to make friends easier. Is this a good idea or are we really unpopular because we all go there?!
The worst thing too, we do not speak French, we are trying, but well say no more!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody with some snippets of wisdom please.
Thanks in advance
Sal
Hi we have a 5 year old in school here he has been at school for 2 and a half years his french is better than ours and the locals wheb they talk to him think he is french.

But that aside your son is still at a good age to change to a new school etc, if his problematic learning area is maths then i would suggest adding new french words to his vocabulary and see how he does with them try with things he knows and uses and encourage him to use the french version how was he with language to begin with if he does well then you know you are on a winner. good luck regards jc
Old Jul 19th 2007, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Pootypootpoot is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to do is get him diagnosed by a French neurologist which would give him acces to reimbursable sessions with an "Orthophoniste". My daughter is dyslexic and beware, French schools treat learning difficulties as a "fashion" (quoted from teacher and head-teacher) and an easy way to get out of "doing your job" as a parent. The neurologist made this quite clear to me that the UK/US are much more evolved as far as learning difficulties go, much to his despair. But it's not the end of the world, "orthophonie" will really help him. My daughter did 2yrs and doesn't need to go anymore. They're very good, but hard to come by (all booked up) still it's possible to find one. Good luck.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

Hi Sal, I am new to this forum and am really enjoying reading about people's experiences in France as we are planning a move. Just wanted to say that our son too has Dyspraxia so we will be in the same position as you! I agree children with it are not stupid and it is a result of the brain being wired differently than others, does your son have difficulty with writing like mine? Look at Richard Branson he is Dyslexic and so was Einstein! I'm sure that I read somewhere in this forum someone saying that French private schools are very reasonably priced, but will have to search again to find it. When I do I will send another message. all the best Nicky