Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

House Insurance

House Insurance

Old Apr 7th 2019, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Larster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House Insurance

Hi, I am new to all things French, so please excuse me.
Anyone able to give recommendations for Home Insurance? Are there any comparison websites or do I need to do this locally?

thanks
Lar
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Insurance

Originally Posted by Larster
Hi, I am new to all things French, so please excuse me.
Anyone able to give recommendations for Home Insurance? Are there any comparison websites or do I need to do this locally?

thanks
Lar
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Others will come along with other recommendations, but I've always been with GAN, simply because a neighbour used to work there! Never any problems...
Be aware that a classic "Home Insurance" also includes "responsabilité civile" for any damage caused by you or yours (including pets) to third parties.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion would be to use a "mutuelle" insurance - possibly one with a small agent's office.
We struggled to get car insurance until we found an agent who was really helpful.
We arranged property insurance with our bank because it was convenient.
Watch out for conditions like having to close shutters if you are not at home and getting chimneys swept each year.
HTH
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

We used a local agent who is quite good. However, if you wish to change your insurers please note you wil need togive a year's notice. We too had a bit of a battle about shutters as we have a veranda at the front and they wanted us to have ugly rolling shutters. The agent ffound another who was fine with the thickness of the glass.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by grannybunz
We used a local agent who is quite good. However, if you wish to change your insurers please note you wil need togive a year's notice. We too had a bit of a battle about shutters as we have a veranda at the front and they wanted us to have ugly rolling shutters. The agent ffound another who was fine with the thickness of the glass.
That has changed now, with an existing contract at least one year old you can simply switch to a new provider mid year who will do the necessary to cancel your existing contract and get a refund for the unused portion. It can be more complicated if you try to do this during the 20 day renewal period but not impossible. I have done this for both house and car insurance recently as premiums were climbing too fast.

Back to the original question, there are online insurers who offer quite attractive premiums but we have stuck with those who have local agents you can call into and talk directly with which is just more comfortable when dealing with possible language issues. It does mean doing the rounds of your local town but then you can also get a feel for how friendly and efficient they are.