British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   House Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/house-insurance-923930/)

Larster Apr 7th 2019 1:36 pm

House Insurance

Hi, I am new to all things French, so please excuse me.
Anyone able to give recommendations for Home Insurance? Are there any comparison websites or do I need to do this locally?

thanks
Lar

dmu Apr 7th 2019 2:04 pm

Re: House Insurance

Originally Posted by Larster (Post 12667138)
Hi, I am new to all things French, so please excuse me.
Anyone able to give recommendations for Home Insurance? Are there any comparison websites or do I need to do this locally?

thanks
Lar

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Others will come along with other recommendations, but I've always been with GAN, simply because a neighbour used to work there! Never any problems...
Be aware that a classic "Home Insurance" also includes "responsabilité civile" for any damage caused by you or yours (including pets) to third parties.

cyrian Apr 7th 2019 2:29 pm

My suggestion would be to use a "mutuelle" insurance - possibly one with a small agent's office.
We struggled to get car insurance until we found an agent who was really helpful.
We arranged property insurance with our bank because it was convenient.
Watch out for conditions like having to close shutters if you are not at home and getting chimneys swept each year.
HTH

grannybunz Apr 7th 2019 2:39 pm

We used a local agent who is quite good. However, if you wish to change your insurers please note you wil need togive a year's notice. We too had a bit of a battle about shutters as we have a veranda at the front and they wanted us to have ugly rolling shutters. The agent ffound another who was fine with the thickness of the glass.

south_bound Apr 8th 2019 7:29 am

Originally Posted by grannybunz (Post 12667161)
We used a local agent who is quite good. However, if you wish to change your insurers please note you wil need togive a year's notice. We too had a bit of a battle about shutters as we have a veranda at the front and they wanted us to have ugly rolling shutters. The agent ffound another who was fine with the thickness of the glass.

That has changed now, with an existing contract at least one year old you can simply switch to a new provider mid year who will do the necessary to cancel your existing contract and get a refund for the unused portion. It can be more complicated if you try to do this during the 20 day renewal period but not impossible. I have done this for both house and car insurance recently as premiums were climbing too fast.

Back to the original question, there are online insurers who offer quite attractive premiums but we have stuck with those who have local agents you can call into and talk directly with which is just more comfortable when dealing with possible language issues. It does mean doing the rounds of your local town but then you can also get a feel for how friendly and efficient they are.