Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to france but haven't a clue!!

Hoping to move to france but haven't a clue!!

Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

mcconnell47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move to france but haven't a clue!!

Hello just joined this forum,
My boyfriend and i are looking to move to france in the next few months but we havent really a clue where to start.
We are looking to move mid - south france, mainly depending on where we can find work as he is a tree surgeon, our french is pretty basic but learning little more every day
Would anybody have any advice where i could find a company on finding a place to rent as every time i look on google it always seems to only bring up holiday rentals
Also anybody know a good place to look for work? We are really looking to live in the countryside sort of like the idea of living outside the town!!
Any other advice anyone might have would be a brilliant help as so confused but just want to get moved because the longer we think about it the more we will just put it off!
Thanks
Karla
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:38 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hoping to move to france but haven't a clue!!

Originally Posted by mcconnell47
My boyfriend and i are looking to move to france in the next few months but we havent really a clue where to start.
We are looking to move mid - south france, mainly depending on where we can find work as he is a tree surgeon, our french is pretty basic but learning little more every day
Would anybody have any advice where i could find a company on finding a place to rent as every time i look on google it always seems to only bring up holiday rentals
Also anybody know a good place to look for work? We are really looking to live in the countryside sort of like the idea of living outside the town!!
Any other advice anyone might have would be a brilliant help as so confused but just want to get moved because the longer we think about it the more we will just put it off!
Thanks
Karla
I'm not sure I can help directly, but I do know of a company - www.greenscope-creation.com/english/index.html who are bilingual and do landscaping stuff. Maybe they can at least help with contacts or where and how to start looking for work. Bon courage!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:55 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Karla
Welcome to the Forum, immobiliers deal with a lot of rental here someone did post a bunch of links just recently i forget which thread it was mind. But once again Welcome and if you have any issues give me a shout.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Karla
Once you've narrowed down where you want to look try www.leboncoin.fr
for rentals (Category Immobilier -> Location).

Bon chance.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

wazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Hoping to move to france but haven't a clue!!

I've just joined this site this minute and saw your message.I'm sorry I haven't got much solid information for you but it sounds like you're doing what me and my husband did although you sound alot more sensible than us.We moved here 4years ago.We had never been to France,couldn't speak a word of French .anyway we just packed up our van and drove to France after booking into a bed and breakfast.We met an agent and within one week of being in France had a place to rent.There are places to rent but it seems its generally a case of looking for the signs outside the properties and also a case of meeting people,theres always someone that knows someone.Also there are alot of English speaking estate agents on the internet that may be able to help.As far as work goes,my husband is a builder and we came here with no work lined up at all,which was worrying but honestly he's had so much work.with us it was the case of meeting people and advertising.It was scary at first for us because of the worry of work but it's the best move we've ever made.I'm not saying do it the way we did cos now we look back on it,it was absolutely crazy but like I say well worth it.I am sorry I don't have much for you to go on but I wanted to let you know that it can work out.If I can help with anything else though.Good Luck
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:18 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Karla
There's some stuff about why you want to move to France. You seem to have done no research; ie jobs and opportunties. Tree surgeons need to be qualified, certainly in UK and probably in France. Do his UK quualifications stand up in France? Take it slowly. Research. Ask here. Many have good knowledge.

Can't advise on where to live, big country after all. Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:10 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjm
There's some stuff about why you want to move to France. You seem to have done no research; ie jobs and opportunties. Tree surgeons need to be qualified, certainly in UK and probably in France. Do his UK quualifications stand up in France? Take it slowly. Research. Ask here. Many have good knowledge.

It's also worth considering that in France everyone knows someone with at least one chainsaw I have three. There probably are Tree Surgeons about but I know in this neck of the woods "Pardon the pun" Land Managers "Forestiers" are more in demand as people like to clear their parcels of wooded land to burn. Unlike the UK in France Wood Central heating is very normal and encouraged, Potentially a Tree Surgeon would be in more demand in built up areas. That being said if I didnt own any chains saws I was old and I had some bothersome greenery I would phone my Marie and she would send some blokes around with chainsaws because it's typically something the commune helps with.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I'd apply a little bit of caution to www.leboncoin.fr - whilst you can find some bargains, there are known scammers who list properties for rent which they do not own!
Definitely do a lot of research. When you sign up as a business they do like to pigeon-hole what you do for a living, and some jobs require proof of qualifications, so make sure you investigate this thoroughly. If your French is not up to scratch, I would also contemplate an area where you might find a lot more work amongst the expat community, at least to get you through on the short-term.
I did come across a tree surgeon in Charente last year, though Ka Ora's last post is good advice and could be worth contemplating and researching.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
I'm not sure I can help directly, but I do know of a company - www.greenscope-creation.com/english/index.html who are bilingual and do landscaping stuff. Maybe they can at least help with contacts or where and how to start looking for work. Bon courage!

Thanks for this i'll give him a call he might know some people that could help us!! Even how much work there is in the area
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Welcome to the Forum, immobiliers deal with a lot of rental here someone did post a bunch of links just recently i forget which thread it was mind. But once again Welcome and if you have any issues give me a shout.
Thanks for the welcome i'll have a look here now
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wazz
I've just joined this site this minute and saw your message.I'm sorry I haven't got much solid information for you but it sounds like you're doing what me and my husband did although you sound alot more sensible than us.We moved here 4years ago.We had never been to France,couldn't speak a word of French .anyway we just packed up our van and drove to France after booking into a bed and breakfast.We met an agent and within one week of being in France had a place to rent.There are places to rent but it seems its generally a case of looking for the signs outside the properties and also a case of meeting people,theres always someone that knows someone.Also there are alot of English speaking estate agents on the internet that may be able to help.As far as work goes,my husband is a builder and we came here with no work lined up at all,which was worrying but honestly he's had so much work.with us it was the case of meeting people and advertising.It was scary at first for us because of the worry of work but it's the best move we've ever made.I'm not saying do it the way we did cos now we look back on it,it was absolutely crazy but like I say well worth it.I am sorry I don't have much for you to go on but I wanted to let you know that it can work out.If I can help with anything else though.Good Luck
Thank you for this it has given me a little bit of comfort espically as some of his family are not very supportive!! Do you mind me asking what part you went to? What you did sounds exactly what i would love to do.... I'm just waiting on an op here and there we're gone!!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cjm

Hi thanks for your reply, we have done some research he is qualified and they still stand in france, just asking for advice on maybe some laws or living etc...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:49 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Wazz, your story and post sounds fascinating. Tell us more. I'd love to learn more, so PM me is you wish.
Research is the key and this forum offers quality information from many (not me) who have lived and know France in detail. Life is about taking the risk, the chance. Language is a hurdle. It can be overcome.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:52 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks for your reply, we have done some research he is qualified and they still stand in france, just asking for advice on maybe some laws or living etc...
I only asked because my son-in-law is a registered tree surgeon in UK, but work is very up and down. Ka Ora is right, France heats itself on wood, so lots to offer. Climbers are a special breed and can tackle jobs most of us would never consider. Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cjm
I only asked because my son-in-law is a registered tree surgeon in UK, but work is very up and down. Ka Ora is right, France heats itself on wood, so lots to offer. Climbers are a special breed and can tackle jobs most of us would never consider. Good luck.
Thanks other half has 6 years of climbing so fingers crossed!! He mainly has the eperience with power lines and heard that the french are just starting to subcontract out like in here!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.