Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

honest british builder

honest british builder

Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:37 am
Just Joined

stewart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default honest british builder

Hi all, just read some of the horror stories on here, OH DEAR!!!!!

I'm a 45 year old british builder with the last 25 years working in my own construction company in the north west of england. I was looking to buy a property for renovation in the bordeaux limoges region of france, with the view to move over with my girlfriend (who is a nurse) maybe at the end of 2007

After reading this posts on this site, my next question may sound a little silly, but,,,,, would there be an ongoing need for a very experienced, hard working, honest, reliable, punctual and conscientious british builder?????
For renovation and new build contracts in this area of france???

I would also love any information and advice relating to these topics.

Thanks, Stewart.

Last edited by Sue; Dec 28th 2005 at 12:03 pm. Reason: Email address removed for privacy.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default Re: honest british builder

Originally Posted by stewart
Hi all, just read some of the horror stories on here, OH DEAR!!!!!

I'm a 45 year old british builder with the last 25 years working in my own construction company in the north west of england. I was looking to buy a property for renovation in the bordeaux limoges region of france, with the view to move over with my girlfriend (who is a nurse) maybe at the end of 2007

After reading this posts on this site, my next question may sound a little silly, but,,,,, would there be an ongoing need for a very experienced, hard working, honest, reliable, punctual and conscientious british builder?????
For renovation and new build contracts in this area of france???

I would also love any information and advice relating to these topics.

Thanks, Stewart.
YES
YES
YES

need some quality to show them how its done!!!

2 years house built not finished going to court soon ...... maison phenix pile-o-shat they LIE they DECEIVE and then deny it ! I am doing the english here, HEAR ME I WONT GO AWAY!! tossers!

Even if your qualifications dont transmute ................ who cares????? We know you are over qualified for france!

xxxxxx
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:01 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=bourgogne]YES
YES
YES

2 years house built not finished going to court soon ...... maison phenix pile-o-shat they LIE they DECEIVE and then deny it ! I am doing the english here, HEAR ME I WONT GO AWAY!! tossers!

Even if your qualifications dont transmute ................ who cares????? We know you are over qualified for france!

OK, Thanks for your reply Bourgogne, i'm really sorry to hear about your ongoing problems, i constantly hear about trouble people are having in this country with cowboys, but it must be even worse abroad!!! I do hope it gets sorted out for you.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=stewart]
Originally Posted by bourgogne
YES
YES
YES

OK, Thanks for your reply Bourgogne, i'm really sorry to hear about your ongoing problems, i constantly hear about trouble people are having in this country with cowboys, but it must be even worse abroad!!! I do hope it gets sorted out for you.

i have been reserved i have been polilte for 8 MONTHS....... my house 'the shed' has stood there over one year now! and so .......... hello france the english are not so polite they are vile loud and obnoxious )))) i'm 68 i can do this and tell them where to go **** themselves! WHY NOT? they took all my money i have no home, time to fight back
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:56 am
Just Joined

lythwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Stewart
I want to be there this year and if you head for the Pyreness instead of Burgundy perhaps you could do the work for me . I am shopping at present for an old chateau .Do you speak French - I dont yet
Regards
Tony
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:59 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lythwood
Hey Stewart
I want to be there this year and if you head for the Pyreness instead of Burgundy perhaps you could do the work for me . I am shopping at present for an old chateau .Do you speak French - I dont yet
Regards
Tony

Probably a bit of a late answer. My Uncle moved to France about 10 years ago, in the area you are talking about. He started work as a builder, working with a local artisan. After a while he decided to start up on his own. He has been very busy constantly since. He is trying to retire in the near future but the work load keeps putting it back. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Probably a bit of a late answer. My Uncle moved to France about 10 years ago, in the area you are talking about. He started work as a builder, working with a local artisan. After a while he decided to start up on his own. He has been very busy constantly since. He is trying to retire in the near future but the work load keeps putting it back. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply benny, yes it does help.

We are buying in the correze region of limousin, what area is your uncle in???
my only concern is that its rural and although people i've spoken to said that there is work it might mean travelling to work, not a problem.

Stewart
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:20 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stewart
Thanks for the reply benny, yes it does help.

We are buying in the correze region of limousin, what area is your uncle in???
my only concern is that its rural and although people i've spoken to said that there is work it might mean travelling to work, not a problem.

Stewart

He is not far from Angouleme I think. My parents live in the Haute Vienne area of the Limousin. They've said there are a lot of english buying houses in their area. My Uncle seems to have benefited from being english because people buying holiday homes would rather have an english speaking builder. As I said he did start of in partnership with a french builder which helped as you get into the swing of things easier and merchants are a bit keener to help. Another thing with being in a rural area is that there are more properties requiring renovation - it appears a good hard working honest tradesman are well sought after, its just a case of people knowing you're out there.

Ben