Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Home schooling to be banned in France

Home schooling to be banned in France

Old Oct 12th 2020, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home schooling to be banned in France

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Yes I think so - that, and the fact there is concern over splits in society and he sees this as a way of pulling everyone together and making sure all kids are introduced to French values at an early age and grow up with them.
What are 'french values'?

What are these? From my view of french people in my neighborhood and block of flats, french values are awful, no consideration for elderly people, egocentricity and a lot of raves and drunk university students, all of them full of 'french values'.

Maybe my post would go along much better in the thread 'What has peeved you off today?'.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly

What are these? From my view of french people in my neighborhood and block of flats, french values are awful, no consideration for elderly people, egocentricity and a lot of raves and drunk university students, all of them full of 'french values'.

Maybe my post would go along much better in the thread 'What has peeved you off today?'.
Sorry to hear about your location, but this being a Sticky "info" thread, comments would be better posted in a separate one. Not particularly in the TIO section, where contributors wouldn't necessarily know what's happening in France, but a new thread in this forum where members can comment on other aspects of home-schooling.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to quizz Mme TP to spell out exactly what are these 'French values'. I'll bet she has a sudden loss of memory........
Old Oct 13th 2020, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
Eat a lot of cheese and garlic? I can do the former, but garlic... yuck!
Old Oct 13th 2020, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It keeps the vampires away Malcom

I love the stinking rose, I must admit. And cheese. Baked camembert studded with slivers of garlic, mmm, heaven. And takes no time to prepare.
It's a good job I live alone isn't it....

But we digress
Old Feb 12th 2021, 10:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

An update on the subject which will concern those newbies wishing to home-school their children:
I've just read that the French Parliament has validated greater restrictions on "Instruction en famille" (home-schooling), whereby parents must now obtain "prior authorisation from the State" instead of simply declaring their intention to the Mairie and Académie. As mentioned above, exceptions will still be made for sick or handicapped children, star athletes/artists, non-sedentary families, .... Controls will be made during 2021-2022 in homes where parents already home-school, to ensure that children aren't being indoctrinated against French/Western values (in addition to checking that the French curriculum is being followed).
(The Service-Public site is waiting for the text to be officially adopted.)
Old Feb 14th 2021, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
An update on the subject which will concern those newbies wishing to home-school their children:
I've just read that the French Parliament has validated greater restrictions on "Instruction en famille" (home-schooling), whereby parents must now obtain "prior authorisation from the State" instead of simply declaring their intention to the Mairie and Académie. As mentioned above, exceptions will still be made for sick or handicapped children, star athletes/artists, non-sedentary families, .... Controls will be made during 2021-2022 in homes where parents already home-school, to ensure that children aren't being indoctrinated against French/Western values (in addition to checking that the French curriculum is being followed).
A very worthwhile update.
Old May 11th 2021, 7:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
Updated Service-Public site:
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F23429
Note that home-schooling is possible for children with handicaps of some sort, but they must follow the French Curriculum, and their progress is monitored. As said, the parents must apply to do this at the Mairie and regional Académie, and it's likely that their application won't be accepted if the children's (and parents') level of French is inadequate. The language issue particularly concerns potential expats with autistic, dyslexic, etc... children from ANY non-French-speaking countries, and it should be an important factor in their decision to move to France. As said above, the principal reason for limiting home-schooling is to avoid Islamic brainwashing at home. There's no provision for bona fide parents...
Old May 11th 2021, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that update, dmu. I think it's a tricky line to draw between protecting society and restricting individual parents' choices. Keeps coming down to society v. the individual doesn't it.
I do wonder how many Brits are going to carry on home schooling regardless.
Old May 12th 2021, 6:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Thanks for that update, dmu. I think it's a tricky line to draw between protecting society and restricting individual parents' choices. Keeps coming down to society v. the individual doesn't it.
I do wonder how many Brits are going to carry on home schooling regardless.
I didn't want to turn this Sticky into a debate, but I wonder how those who do it under the radar cope with concealing the existence of their children from the Administrations.... It would be interesting to know how their children are getting on, but they would hesitate to advertize their activity on a public forum, even anonymously.
AFAIK those who are already officially home-schooling are given consideration, but the purpose of the post was to emphasize to POTENTIAL expats that they'll have conditions to comply with if they don't wish their children to be educated "conventionally"....