Home Insurance for 5 month rental in French alps

Home Insurance for 5 month rental in French alps

Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

tommygun303 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Insurance for 5 month rental in French alps

Hi all,

First post!

My girlfriend and I are going to be renting an apartment in Morzine for the ski season (1st Dec - 30 Apr) this year for 5 months and the landlady mentioned about having home insurance to cover fire/water damage to the property.

Does anyone know if this is normal and if so, any French companies (who speak english) who would be able to provide this?

Thanks
Tom
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Insurance for 5 month rental in French alps

Originally Posted by tommygun303
Hi all,

First post!

My girlfriend and I are going to be renting an apartment in Morzine for the ski season (1st Dec - 30 Apr) this year for 5 months and the landlady mentioned about having home insurance to cover fire/water damage to the property.

Does anyone know if this is normal and if so, any French companies (who speak english) who would be able to provide this?

Thanks
Tom
Hi, welcome to the forum!
Yes it's normal! It also includes "responsabilité civile" which covers damage that you may cause.
Sorry I can't help with a local Insurance Company. Some one in that part of France will come along with advice, but I imagine all the big companies in that area will have English-speaking staff.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommygun303
Hi all,

First post!

Thanks
Tom
Sorry Cant help with specifics but try http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ and search for "assurance".
I came up with one option "assurance axa" for Morzine.
AXA is normally a local agency but you may find more.
Be careful about the terms of cancellation for the insurance - you normally have to give 3 months notice. Very different from the UK.

Good luck
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Be careful about the terms of cancellation for the insurance - you normally have to give 3 months notice. Very different from the UK.

Good luck
Good point about cancellation - if you miss the deadline, you're obliged to pay the following year's premium (and for general info, the cancellation must be sent by registered letter with acknowledgement card (LRAR), otherwise it's not valid).
It's also possible that you'll have to take out an insurance for a whole year. When my daughers were in students' residences, the insurance covered from October to September, even if they left at the beginning of July....
Good luck!