Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Holiday Nightmares...

Holiday Nightmares...

Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:53 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Holiday Nightmares...

Just thought I'd share with you just a few of the details of my family holiday nightmare. I'm sure we've all had a holiday nightmare or two, and maybe in a few decades I'll look back fondly on this little vacational villainry.

We went camping in Siegnosse, near Dax, nestled in the pine forests and 5 minutes from the sea. The site itself was lovely, although very large and crowded. This was a family holiday, the first in 3 years. Altogether, there were me and Lol, the 3 children - 17, 14 and 13 (thankfully old enough to be trusted to do their own things), my separated (but amicable) parents, my grandmother, 86 and no spring chicken, my sister and her hubby and their twin boys, 4.

The weather was not too bad, when it was fine it was beautiful, but we had 2 days of rain and most nights it pelted it down, including one humongous thunder and lightning storm in which I slept in the car!

After a day the rows started.... Nobody wanted to be left in camp with my Gran all day, nobody wanted to wash the dishes, nobody agreed on the meals etc... you know where I'm going?

Our family are usually quite peaceful. Ha! We ALL ended up rowing, Lol eventually had enough and left early, hitching it took him 2 days to get home. My sister and co left earlier in the day than they were origanally going to, and I left a bit later as I had to stay and help the "olds" pack up and leave.

Well, that's not all so bad I hear you say - that was just the start! On reaching Bordeaux (after a small detour across the suspension bridge a few times looking for the A10) Blanche, the Freelander, starting vibrating more than was usual. 2 miles down the peage, she gave a startling bang and a shudder and clanked as I headed onto the BAU. Looking under her I could see a metal loop spinning happily around the propshaft.

After ringing on the SOS phone (a nightmare by itself) a tow truck arrived, and a very nice geezer peered underneath and whistled through his teeth. (Why do they ALWAYS do that?!). He told me to sit in Blanche while he winched her up onto the tow truck, as I got in he told the kids to get in too, which I thought was odd. After closing my eyes and gritting my teeth he finally secured Blanche atop his lorry. He then gave us a cheery thumbs up and got in his truck.

Ok, at this point I had it running through my head that he would help us all out and we could squeeze into his lorrycab. Oh noooooooooooooo... Not to be. He starts driving. I scream. Loudly. The kids are peeing themselves laughing. (They did this as I sobbed my way over Pont de Normandie too). Heartless beasts.

He drove, with us IN THE CAR ON TOP THE BLOODY TOW TRUCK all the way back to his garage, about 20 minutes away. Is this legal?? Was he insane??

Well, I survived that, and an hour later we were in a taxi headed back to Bordeaux en route to Hertz. We drove home later in style, in a beautiful new Vectra. The whole trip only took 13 hours....

Never again.

(Oh, and I'm still waiting for the garage to ring and give me a quote on the work...)
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:21 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Nightmares...

Digging holes in sand dunes for chemical toilets seems tame by comparison!
Even if you fall over carrying the toilet
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Boy oh boy, that would take some beating. I get on fine with my family, but I'd never opt for a family holiday, and I know the rest of the family would be of the same mentality.
I can't think it's legal to drive with you on top of his truck, but you must have had a great view up there?! I would have taken some photographic evidence, complained and got them to do a free repair job on your vehicle.
Hope my holidays next week are without dramas!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:44 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Never share you holiday with family.....No No, dont go there.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:27 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G-J-B
but you must have had a great view up there?!

I might have, but I was too busy picking the lint from my jumper, in an obsessional - I-don't-want-to-die-now type of way!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
I might have, but I was too busy picking the lint from my jumper, in an obsessional - I-don't-want-to-die-now type of way!
you poor thing - have you planned the next one yet
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:11 am
La petite noblesse

Originally Posted by val50
you poor thing - have you planned the next one yet
Oi!

My Dad did suggest Spain for next year, I said tell me where you're going and I'll make sure I'm not there!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:58 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends who always go on extended family holidays. Never seem to enjoy them, but always go again next year. Masochists!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:18 pm
La petite noblesse

Total masochists!

Update - the garage rang, and told me the bill will be around 1500 Euros, and will take a week, to a week and a half. They also said my insurance should help me get to their place, which is unreachable by train and is an hour outside Bordeaux, so looks like it will have to be a hire car. They already paid for breakdown and a taxi and a hire car at the beginning, and we were told we had 95 Euros left, but I thought they only helped once. Anyone have a better understanding?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

He told me to sit in Blanche while he winched her up onto the tow truck, as I got in he told the kids to get in too, which I thought was odd. After closing my eyes and gritting my teeth he finally secured Blanche atop his lorry. He then gave us a cheery thumbs up and got in his truck.

Ok, at this point I had it running through my head that he would help us all out and we could squeeze into his lorrycab. Oh noooooooooooooo... Not to be. He starts driving. I scream. Loudly. The kids are peeing themselves laughing. (They did this as I sobbed my way over Pont de Normandie too). Heartless beasts.

He drove, with us IN THE CAR ON TOP THE BLOODY TOW TRUCK all the way back to his garage, about 20 minutes away. Is this legal?? Was he insane??

Been there, done that, Jazzy. About 4 years ago our rental car "died" half way to Paris at the end of our visit to Normandy. You already know that my french could do with <ahem> some polishing, so I know the horrors of the autoroute SOS phones. Basically the guy on the other end is completely incomprehensible over the roar of passing trucks etc.

After a while the winch truck arrives and the car is hauled up a-high, just as you describe it. With myself and 2 sons in it, just as you describe it. Mrs C, of course, rode in the truck cab, a thing for which I may never offer forgiveness, since the half hour drive to the repair shop was likely the worst half hour of my adult life so far. (Val will no doubt chip in with "Wow, that's a long time", or similar).

For those who aren't addicted to being thrown around in totally unpredictable directions and bounced up and down like an astronaut in training, I recommend that you avoid this experience if at all possible.

Oh, and I've done the freaking out on the Pont de Normandie thingy as well, but that's another story.

Novo.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, the nightmare continues. I'd ask to have 1000 euros taken off the bill on account of shortening your life-span by a few years.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd share with you just a few of the details of my family holiday nightmare. I'm sure we've all had a holiday nightmare or two, and maybe in a few decades I'll look back fondly on this little vacational villainry.

We went camping in Siegnosse, near Dax, nestled in the pine forests and 5 minutes from the sea. The site itself was lovely, although very large and crowded. This was a family holiday, the first in 3 years. Altogether, there were me and Lol, the 3 children - 17, 14 and 13 (thankfully old enough to be trusted to do their own things), my separated (but amicable) parents, my grandmother, 86 and no spring chicken, my sister and her hubby and their twin boys, 4.

The weather was not too bad, when it was fine it was beautiful, but we had 2 days of rain and most nights it pelted it down, including one humongous thunder and lightning storm in which I slept in the car!

After a day the rows started.... Nobody wanted to be left in camp with my Gran all day, nobody wanted to wash the dishes, nobody agreed on the meals etc... you know where I'm going?

Our family are usually quite peaceful. Ha! We ALL ended up rowing, Lol eventually had enough and left early, hitching it took him 2 days to get home. My sister and co left earlier in the day than they were origanally going to, and I left a bit later as I had to stay and help the "olds" pack up and leave.

Well, that's not all so bad I hear you say - that was just the start! On reaching Bordeaux (after a small detour across the suspension bridge a few times looking for the A10) Blanche, the Freelander, starting vibrating more than was usual. 2 miles down the peage, she gave a startling bang and a shudder and clanked as I headed onto the BAU. Looking under her I could see a metal loop spinning happily around the propshaft.

After ringing on the SOS phone (a nightmare by itself) a tow truck arrived, and a very nice geezer peered underneath and whistled through his teeth. (Why do they ALWAYS do that?!). He told me to sit in Blanche while he winched her up onto the tow truck, as I got in he told the kids to get in too, which I thought was odd. After closing my eyes and gritting my teeth he finally secured Blanche atop his lorry. He then gave us a cheery thumbs up and got in his truck.

Well, I survived that, and an hour later we were in a taxi headed back to Bordeaux en route to Hertz. We drove home later in style, in a beautiful new Vectra. The whole trip only took 13 hours....

Never again.

(Oh, and I'm still waiting for the garage to ring and give me a quote on the work...)
Poor you; the problem described & the estimate sounds just like a propshaft bearing failure. Is it a high mileage vehicle, or known to have taken an underside heavy off-road clout ?
Anyway better luck with next years hols.
Your comment " Nobody wanted to be left in camp with my Gran all day....." made me think of a great French film which I strongly recommend you watch.
'TATI DANIELLE'
Auntie Danielle is a spolied, nasty old bitch who has perfected the art of imposing on other people, and regularly abuses her housekeeper. A very memorable film!
The IMDb rated this film 7/10 - well worth renting/watching on DVD.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100747/
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:56 am
La petite noblesse

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Poor you; the problem described & the estimate sounds just like a propshaft bearing failure. Is it a high mileage vehicle, or known to have taken an underside heavy off-road clout ?
Anyway better luck with next years hols.
Your comment " Nobody wanted to be left in camp with my Gran all day....." made me think of a great French film which I strongly recommend you watch.
'TATI DANIELLE'
Auntie Danielle is a spolied, nasty old bitch who has perfected the art of imposing on other people, and regularly abuses her housekeeper. A very memorable film!
The IMDb rated this film 7/10 - well worth renting/watching on DVD.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100747/

Yes, the rear part, the driveshaft went last year but was covered on the garage's guarantee, they are replacing the joints but I am worried how much damage the Head Gasket has taken. The mechanic asked if we had a lot of snow here because he said the underside was quite corroded, another worry... Plus we don't live in a snowy region!

I will certainly get that film, it looks brilliant! Thank you for the recommendation and the well wishes!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:00 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Jazz, one part of me is SO sorry for you luvvie, but the other bit just laughed and laughed ............

For a family holiday with "the impossibles" (ie, in-laws, elderly incontinents or just "boring old farts") you need the following supplies:

1. Baseball bat. Brill for the kids to get up a game of rounders and you can also use it on whichever relative p****s you off the most;

2. Crate of Jack Daniels. Well known for creating a "couldn't give a s**t rosy glow" and the empties make either great skittles to keep kids happy or wonderful weapons as well, especially if dropped (by mistake of course) out of any available windows onto the rotters below.

3. Itching powder. Great way to get your own back when saddled with doing the laundry.

For those among us with a fear of being caught with offensive weapons, none of these count at all!

Failing the above, take em all to a beach which is well known for big fighting in some war or other, and encourage them to "go look for shells" (and I don't mean the pretty ones either ....)

Suspect working in the pharmacie suddenly looks a whole lot better ........
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:06 pm
La petite noblesse

LMAO! Thanks Andy, you cheered me right up, I damn near fell off my chair as I read your list and incorporated your ideas into my cunning plan of evilness for next year

Still waiting for news of the sodding car and to cap it all the sodding kettle blew up this morning...

ah well, Jack D - here I come!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.