Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hi , New member!

Hi , New member!

Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Dave Ozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,
just like to introduce myself , me my wife and kids are currently living in our home in blighty, and we are currently going through the motions of finding a home in france , As difficult as it can and cant be as you probably understand we are determined to make the move.
I have so many questions to ask, not that the answers would put me off making the move, but i find it a little frustrating endlessly looking on the internet for the related answer.
One question that i need help with {my wife would kill me if she realised i would be asking this question} is a car related question !!

I have a classic car 1964 , and im hoping to take it to france with me the problem is i dont know how classic cars stand in france.
Here in England as some of you classic car owners may know, that obviously road tax is free{pre 1972}. you can get classic car insurance{limited mileage}and mot's are more leaniant than the later car mot's{ emissions that sort of thing.

My question is; how do you go about using your classic legally in france?

Do i have to re-register it?
Do i have to tax it?
Can i insure it?
Can i get it mot'ed?
Whats the general opinion/laws about owning a british registered classic car?

Your advise would be very much appreciated. please dont say id be better selling it before the move
Regards
Dave

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Nov 7th 2011 at 9:55 pm. Reason: Tidying up first posts
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi , New member!

Originally Posted by Dave Ozzie
Hi ,
just like to introduce myself , me my wife and kids are currently living in our home in blighty, and we are currently going through the motions of finding a home in france , As difficult as it can and cant be as you probably understand we are determined to make the move.
I have so many questions to ask, not that the answers would put me off making the move, but i find it a little frustrating endlessly looking on the internet for the related answer.
One question that i need help with {my wife would kill me if she realised i would be asking this question} is a car related question !!

I have a classic car 1964 , and im hoping to take it to france with me the problem is i dont know how classic cars stand in france.
Here in England as some of you classic car owners may know, that obviously road tax is free{pre 1972}. you can get classic car insurance{limited mileage}and mot's are more leaniant than the later car mot's{ emissions that sort of thing.

Do i have to tax it?
Can i insure it?
Can i get it mot'ed?

Your advise would be very much appreciated. please dont say id be better selling it before the move
Regards
Dave
Hi Dave...welcome to BE.

As your post is quite lengthy I am moving it over to our France Forum. The people who post in that forum mostly live in France...therefore they will be in a better position to answer your questions.

If you have any problems finding your way around the rest of the site Ka Ora is the concierge for the France forums...he will act as your tour guide and help you find your way around BE's many forums.

Any problems or complaints should be addressed to a moderator. Mitzyboy is the moderator for the France forums but if he's not around any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

I hope your enjoy your time with us.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi Dave...welcome to BE.

As your post is quite lengthy I am moving it over to our France Forum. The people who post in that forum mostly live in France...therefore they will be in a better position to answer your questions.

If you have any problems finding your way around the rest of the site Ka Ora is the concierge for the France forums...he will act as your tour guide and help you find your way around BE's many forums.

Any problems or complaints should be addressed to a moderator. Mitzyboy is the moderator for the France forums but if he's not around any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

I hope your enjoy your time with us.
Hi ,sorry about that ,i realised my mistake once i submitted the thread,
Thank you and i look forward to using the forum
Regards
David
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi,new member ,with a question! already!

Hi ,id like to introduce myself to the forum , ,i think i posted a thread on the main forum rather than the sub forum, anyway we are going to be moving to France next year with our two children of 3 years and 1 year old.

Just a quick question , does anybody on here own a british classic car a live in France ? ,Ive got a Ford Anglia 105e 1964, and im wanting to take it with me but im unsure what the rules are out there with classic cars , Here in England as you may be aware ,pre 1972 registered cars get free tax , you get classic insurance {limited mileage} and the mot's here are more leanaint with regards to emmissions that sort of thing, Will i have to re-register it ? Be a shame to lose its original number plate.
Or would your advise be to sell it before i make the move ? is it a simple transition? or is it way to complicated
Your advise would be appreciated.
Regards
David
Hi David
Your original post was transferred over to this forum by Jerseygirl.
Your post has therefore been duplicated.
I am sure that someone will tidy it up for you.
The questions you ask were touched on recently in another thread - if you search back a month you should find it.
It is amazing what the combined knowledge of this forum is.
Keep asking your questions and good luck with the move.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:53 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,

Do i have to tax it?
Can i insure it?
Can i get it mot'ed?

Regards
Dave
Welcome to the Forum

Yes, First you need to contact the FFVE fill in the necessary paperwork and hopefully they will give you an form that will replace the Certificate of Conformity that it will not be possibly to get for you car.

Do i have to tax it?
No road tax for cars in France

Can i insure it?
?
Yes, a Company like Mascotte offer Classic insurance in France you can set your own right off value.

Can i get it mot'ed?
Yes it`s called a Contrôle Technique here for normal cars it`s every two years but for classics it`s about 4/5 years.
Once again Welcome
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

You probably have all the answers now but just to say that six years ago we bought a 1966 Fiat 500 on ebay, in Italy. Then had it transported back to France. The paperwork was a bit fiddly but I got a certificate of conformity (with the assistance of the guy I bought the car off) and I have insurance which is limited to 8000 km a year. It is difficult to prove how many km it does as the speedo and therefore clock doesn't work...but this isn't a problem for the CT. I haven't insured it this year as it is going in for a respray but I normally pay 130 € for the insurance. In our area there are lots of classics, rallies etc. I did register it with the FFVE as was suggested to us by the DRIRE and have a green book which I understand you use by completing a slip each time you use the car, for a rally etc. As we then managed to register it as a normal car we didn't need to use it. The car is CT'd every 2 years, I don't know if the 5 year thing still applies for classics but my feeling is I'd prefer it was checked more frequently....
The funniest thing was, on probably our fourth trip to the prefecture and when we finally got it registered was the chap verifying that the papers were correct (as they were in Italian) he licked his finger and ran it over the sellers signature to check it was original! The chap used to scribble all over the papers with red ink and bash his stapler so hard it nearly bounced around the room! He seems to have been replaced by a woman who has been programmed to tut and say "Non" We hate going there as they seem determined to foil you if they possibly can....
As you already own the vehicle it would be a simpler procedure to re-register
Sue
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your advice, its put my mind at rest