Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hi - can you help?

Hi - can you help?

Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

thebluecamel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi - can you help?

This may be the wrong place to ask this (or may be a stupid question), but here goes....

I currently live in the UK (living alone) and own my own internet-based company. I am becoming increasingly interested in moving abroad - to France in particular, but just do not know where to start!

Do I need to contact a solicitor, and if so any particular type? Or will the Citizens Advice Bureau help me?

Do I go and find a property abroad and then seek help? Obviously as I own my own business I need to know the implications with regard to tax etc when I move this abroad. (Being an internet-based business I can run it from anywhere in the world).

I have searched and searched the internet and some websites have given me the odd amount of information, but I just haven't got a clue where to start!

Surely I don't just sell-up and jump on a plane!

If anyone can help with this I would be eternally grateful! How did you leave the UK? Who dealt with the legal side of things... etc.

Many thanks in anticipation (and sorry if this is the wrong place to post).

Samuel.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - can you help?

Can`t really help with France, but I am sure you will get some help here.
Try reading some of the previous threads here, you may find some facts in them to help you.
I would strongly advise taking an extended holiday and put yourself about in the area you fancy, find out as much as you can from the locals.
Also visit in the summer and winter as the changes can be drastic.
Good luck anyway

PS. take a camera with you and post some pics of France, Hmmmm wonder what it looks like there
Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Can`t really help with France, but I am sure you will get some help here.
Try reading some of the previous threads here, you may find some facts in them to help you.
I would strongly advise taking an extended holiday and put yourself about in the area you fancy, find out as much as you can from the locals.
Also visit in the summer and winter as the changes can be drastic.
Good luck anyway

PS. take a camera with you and post some pics of France, Hmmmm wonder what it looks like there

LOL, thanks for your help!

Samuel.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:46 am
Just Joined

terry1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, well in fact the answer is yes, one can just jump onto a plane, board a ship, or just about anyway. Buying a house goes the same way as here in the UK, but with one major point to bar in mind, once you sign to buy, you pay a non returnable deposit of 10%, and need to have the remainer of the money in 3 months.
Tax is high in france, and maybe one would be best to move ones tax address off the main land.
Also bear in mind when looking the boardband is not available all across france.
Hope this helps a bit, if you need anymore information just ask, terry
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by terry1956
hi, well in fact the answer is yes, one can just jump onto a plane, board a ship, or just about anyway. Buying a house goes the same way as here in the UK, but with one major point to bar in mind, once you sign to buy, you pay a non returnable deposit of 10%, and need to have the remainer of the money in 3 months.
Tax is high in france, and maybe one would be best to move ones tax address off the main land.
Also bear in mind when looking the boardband is not available all across france.
Hope this helps a bit, if you need anymore information just ask, terry

Thanks Terry - that's very helpful.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebluecamel
Thanks Terry - that's very helpful.

Many thanks.

I have replied to you in TIO, it has a web link that may be helpful
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:46 pm
Property consultant

mcany is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a very good advice it is better to stay less than 6 months in France so you do not become a french resident. You can keep your company in the UK with an uk based address.

As France and the UK has signed a deal with no double taxation you will be taxed in the uk.

Ideally you can stay 3 months in the uk, 3 months in spain and 6 months in France.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:07 am
Just Joined

thisisitimhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Hi - can you help?

Hi Samual
Firstly I would advise that you rent a property in your chosen are for at least 1 year, keep your hard earned cash in the bank, it is great that you dont have to seek work here as there isnt any, your tax issues can be sorted by the many english speaking accountants here, they will be able to answer all your questions, france is wonderfull for a holiday, it is a different ball game if you decide to live here, things happen at a snails pace, so my advise seek advise with an accountant prior to you arriving here,

Bonne Chance