Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

hgv driving in france

hgv driving in france

Old May 7th 2009, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

stephenm2682 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hgv driving in france

hey, does anyone know of any companies in france who take on british drivers? i only have a class 2 licence.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:20 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hgv driving in france

Originally Posted by stephenm2682
hey, does anyone know of any companies in france who take on british drivers? i only have a class 2 licence.
They are lots of haulage type companies based in and around France, Being that it's slim pickings and the mo I would be inclined just to look about were ever you are going to live. Bigger Haulage firms can be found of the Outskirts of most Cities the are lots of Cement Companies and Builders Yards which would use Class 2 Lorries. If your moving out here and have the time and money Get your Class 1 it will get you further. Last time we drove to England we stopped at a service station on the Autoroute beyond Limoges and I got chatting to this English Bloke In a Que he offered me 150 Pounds to Drive his lorry upto and through Paris as he had done his Taco Time and had to take his overnighter but needed to make the Crossing, My Oh was not impressed. But there are Forums for this sort of thing and the Long Distance Drivers do like a spare to cover the boring bits or adhoc jobs. There is also a fair bit of PSV work as well.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:10 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to pass your HGV in France in order to be taken on as a driver here, sorry.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

i thought the uk licence was valid in the eu aswell?
Old May 7th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

i thought the uk licence was valid in the eu aswell?

You will need to get the FIMO (Formation Initiale Minimale Obligatoire), as well as a Cat C permis de conduire (licence)
before you can drive in France.
Details on this website
http://www.ecf-legon.com/article-2.php?id_article=4

You also have to do a FCOS course every 5 years.

If you do a search on google you will find lots more info
Old May 7th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

how does this differ to working in the uk and driving in france for haulage company to moving and working in france? surely the uk licence covers both
Old May 7th 2009, 5:11 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

how does this differ to working in the uk and driving in france for haulage company to moving and working in france? surely the uk licence covers both
If you work for a UK based company, covered by UK tax/insurance etc. then yes....But, this is France, and France is different. We don't make the rules, all we do is point you in a direction (as per Val50's post above) where you can find the relevant info. For what it's worth, I'm HGV positive, and looked into driving here for a living. I have had advice from both my neighbours (as well as prospective in-laws) who're all routiers. It's a minefield. as Ka's pointed out to me via PM, it can be circumnavigated, but it's still a ballache!

Have you asked in the UK whether it's possible for a French HGV driver to work in the UK on his licence?
Old May 7th 2009, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Le Chant

Have you asked in the UK whether it's possible for a French HGV driver to work in the UK on his licence?
As we all know the UK is far to liberal on EU policy and is the most excepting when a EU national comes in. Although I find it a toss up between the UK and Germany on GOOD policing of roads in a Pro Active Fashion ( Which I consider fair as Driving is a Privilege which should be revoked sooner) Although im sure France has purchased a job lot of mobile speed cameras.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
As we all know the UK is far to liberal on EU policy and is the most excepting when a EU national comes in. Although I find it a toss up between the UK and Germany on GOOD policing of roads in a Pro Active Fashion ( Which I consider fair as Driving is a Privilege which should be revoked sooner) Although im sure France has purchased a job lot of mobile speed cameras.
Sorry Ka - I'm not sure what you're on about?
Old May 7th 2009, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the info, so if i moved what job is easier to find with good pay? are you lot from the uk or france born & bred?
Old May 7th 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Sorry Ka - I'm not sure what you're on about?
Me neither, head and keybaord are not getting on, and the fingers are stuck in the middle with you
Old May 7th 2009, 8:00 pm

thanks for the info, so if i moved what job is easier to find with good pay? are you lot from the uk or france born & bred?
Sorry to disillusion you Stephen, but France is a relatively poor country, with high unemployment in many areas. To get a job here requires that you're fluent in French, both oral and written. That's before they'll even interview a Brit (or any other nationality) before a French native! I'm a Yorkshireman, live in France and am self-employed in the holiday/leisure industry.

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Me neither, head and keybaord are not getting on, and the fingers are stuck in the middle with you
One of those days eh, mate? Know 'em well!
Old May 7th 2009, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

ah another tight yorkshireman me too. is that why you're self-employed then cause your french isn't great?
Old May 7th 2009, 9:40 pm

ah another tight yorkshireman me too. is that why you're self-employed then cause your french isn't great?
No. I'm self-employed because I choose to be. I'm doing something I've wanted to do for years. If I wanted to work, I could (and have in the past) pick up seasonal work with French friends and neighbours. As for tight, not a bit of it. My French is good, and I've even mastered the 'bete noire' of the telephone. Once you can do that, you've passed. My two kids are fluent, both have jobs (apprentissages) with French employers. One has a French boyfriend and lives with him. I guess you could say we're integrated.

Moi, je parle bien francais, mais, c'est interdit pour le fait sur ce forum, n'est ce pas Sue?