Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Help! Paris move, advice for western suburbs

Help! Paris move, advice for western suburbs

Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Scribbler123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Paris move, advice for western suburbs

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on the best areas to live and any tips on letting agents in western suburbs of Paris? My husband's been posted to Paris, starting early Jan and we've not been left much time to find a place. We're moving from Mumbai, India, and are keen to find a house (3+ bedrooms, budget 2500 Euros max) with some peace and quiet, with easy access to public transport into central Paris. We have an 11 month old daughter and cats, so a garden is a must, which is why we're not looking in Paris itself! Can anyone advise on good areas please? We were looking at Versailles and had found a house via a website, but it's now gone, and it's not easy searching from India! Thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Paris move, advice for western suburbs

Originally Posted by Scribbler123
Hi all, I'm looking for advice on the best areas to live and any tips on letting agents in western suburbs of Paris? My husband's been posted to Paris, starting early Jan and we've not been left much time to find a place. We're moving from Mumbai, India, and are keen to find a house (3+ bedrooms, budget 2500 Euros max) with some peace and quiet, with easy access to public transport into central Paris. We have an 11 month old daughter and cats, so a garden is a must, which is why we're not looking in Paris itself! Can anyone advise on good areas please? We were looking at Versailles and had found a house via a website, but it's now gone, and it's not easy searching from India! Thanks.
Hi, and welcome to the forum! There was another post recently about Versailles vs. St Germain and I suggested that Versailles would be better at least as far as public transport into Paris is concerned. Most of the western suburbs are pleasant to live in and if you look on the RER network map, you'll see where all the stations are. There are also SNCF trains from St Lazare westwards and south-westwards. A lot depends on whereabouts in Paris your husband will be working, so check the RATP métro map, too, for any changes, to make commuting as painless as possible.
Hope this helps!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help! Paris move, advice for western suburbs

Originally Posted by Scribbler123
Cf my reply to "Versailles vs St Germain en Laye.
Try looking down the RER B line, whose terminus is St Rémy lès Chevreuse. Anywhere along there, Bourg la Reine is leafy and quiet with lots of (expensive) houses, Sceaux is sought-after, anywhere between Palaiseau and the terminus. Orsay is nice and probably in your price range, or Gif and St Rémy. Only snag, the RER is quite crowded, and it takes about 35 to 40 minutes to get from St Rémy to Châtelet. Worth it though.
PB