Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Help with insurance for non resident (with carte gris)

Help with insurance for non resident (with carte gris)

Old Jul 20th 2021, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Reubsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with insurance for non resident (with carte gris)

Hey, I am from New Zealand and a few years ago bought a motorcycle in Paris from a KTM dealer. I used this mostly in Africa before shipping it back to France and leaving it in storage
Now I would like to use the motorcycle in France and Europe when I return, I own the bike and have the carte gris in my name, however I am not a French resident.

Will any insurance companies cover my motorcycle in France?
Old Jul 20th 2021, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with insurance for non resident (with carte gris)

In theory yes however can you show an insurance record for the time that it was in storage as France operates on continuous insurance so you may find itifficult in finding an insurance company that will take you on if you have gaps
Old Jul 20th 2021, 5:02 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reubsm
Hey, I am from New Zealand and a few years ago bought a motorcycle in Paris from a KTM dealer. I used this mostly in Africa before shipping it back to France and leaving it in storage
Now I would like to use the motorcycle in France and Europe when I return, I own the bike and have the carte gris in my name, however I am not a French resident.

Will any insurance companies cover my motorcycle in France?
As long as you have an address here yes.

I’m not sure France has an equivalent of the UK’s “nfo” status “ no fixed abode” in the UK you can get any mail as care of a Post Office and they will hold it for you.
Old May 9th 2022, 8:51 am
Just Joined

So I have started trying to get insurance for my motorcycle in France but am having a lot of trouble. Because when I bought the motorcycle I took it overseas for a number of years, no French insurance companies are interested in insuring the motorcycle because of a gap in the French insurance. Totally bizarre... Any ideas?
Old May 9th 2022, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It's not so bizarre because under French law, all vehicles must be continuously insured and any insurance company that insured it now, would automatically be responsible for any claims that crawled out of the woodwork from during the period when it wasn't insured by any other insurer. It's a known "gotcha". One way round is to do a change of ownership, sell it to your partner if you have one, because that "resets" the insurance, or sell it to a friend and get them to sell it back to you although of course there is potentially a cost to doing that. It would have avoided this if you had exported it and then reimported it and insured it straight away, but no use saying that now is it. If you keep trying you may find a company that will be sympathetic.

EDIT I see LVC did warn you about this earlier
Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
In theory yes however can you show an insurance record for the time that it was in storage as France operates on continuous insurance so you may find itifficult in finding an insurance company that will take you on if you have gaps

Last edited by EuroTrash; May 9th 2022 at 9:56 am.
Old May 9th 2022, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
It's not so bizarre because under French law, all vehicles must be continuously insured and any insurance company that insured it now, would automatically be responsible for any claims that crawled out of the woodwork from during the period when it wasn't insured by any other insurer. It's a known "gotcha". One way round is to do a change of ownership, sell it to your partner if you have one, because that "resets" the insurance, or sell it to a friend and get them to sell it back to you although of course there is potentially a cost to doing that. It would have avoided this if you had exported it and then reimported it and insured it straight away, but no use saying that now is it. If you keep trying you may find a company that will be sympathetic.

EDIT I see LVC did warn you about this earlier
Thanks, yeah I will just continue to shop around. Unfortunately the bike has been back in France at a friends place crated for the last 2.5 years. I wasn't aware of the difficulties the insurance issue would bring. Alternative maybe I might see if there is a worldwide insurer that will cover me