Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Hello or should I say bonjour !

Hello or should I say bonjour !

Old Oct 12th 2020, 9:47 am
Just Joined

kazz4662 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello or should I say bonjour !

with regards to work we were like many Brits looking to maybe B& B / gite or little part time job wouldn't go amiss not sure what's out there also I understand that it will help towards getting onto the French health system after 3 months .
This is going to be a challenging time to buy with Covid and Brexit knowing that it'll be slightly easier before Dec / Jan Brexit. Weve been trying to sell for near 2 years so now that we've sold STC we need to keep going and jump anymore hurdles that pop up . If we miss the set date well have to add Visa and whatever else is required e.g the dogs rabies which we have already completed dogs passport and injections but alas come Brexit that changes !!
Old Oct 12th 2020, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply I guess we could look into private sale if we can see a house we like ill look into the sites you suggested
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazz4662
with regards to work we were like many Brits looking to maybe B& B / gite or little part time job wouldn't go amiss not sure what's out there also I understand that it will help towards getting onto the French health system after 3 months .
Not really.
Your route to healthcare depends on your status in France.
You can exercise freedom of movement as a self supporting inactif, or as a worker. (Or as a student, an S1 holder or one of the various other possible statuses, but I don't think you are any of those.)
The 3 month wait that you mention, only applies to self supporting inactifs.
If you're working in France, your healthcare entitlement starts on the day you start work.
If you're a self supporting inactif you have to wait 3 months, then you can apply to join the health system and provided you meet the criteria (income, residence) you will be accepted and benefit from the same healthcare rights as everyone else.

I am afraid the boat may have sailed for setting up a gite business with a view to claiming to be exercising freedom of movement as a worker before the end of transition. It's hard to see how you could record sufficient income between now and the end of the year, or even between now and next June, to provide evidence of a "genuine and effective" business, as opposed to a hobby business which does not give you worker status.

I think if you move before the end of the year you should be planning on applying for residency on the grounds of exercising FOM as self-supporting inactifs. Once you have your residency confirmed, AFAIK there is nothing to stop you setting up a gite later on (though it might be worth double checking)..

If you move after the end of transition, it's unlikely that you will get a visa that allows you to work in France, they are quite hard to get.

Old Oct 12th 2020, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

sorry what is an inactif & FOM ? I guess if we get the right permission probably 2021 it'll be a while to record how the business is fairing . ? thought if you were looking to live in France from 2021 we had to apply for a visa ? I'm confused again !! ill have to do some reading
Old Oct 12th 2020, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Inactif means economically inactive, ie not retired but not working either.
FOM is freedom of movement.

The issue about applying for a visa to move to France after 1st Jan is firstly, nobody knows yet exactly what the visa process will be, as far as I know no system has been put in place yet, and you would have to wait for your visa application to be processed before you can move. Secondly, the type of visa that most people get is what is sometimes called a "non lucrative visa", i.e. it does not allow you to work. With this type of visa you would not be able to look for part time jobs or set up a business..

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 12th 2020 at 6:07 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Kazz Can you please confirm whether or not you are moving to France permanently and when you expect this to happen as this will help us to help you
Also and I believe I have said this before how are you going to support yourselves? eg occupational pension etc If you have no obvious source of income then your chances of living in Fance are not that high and after Jan moving here to work is probably not going to be an option Plus a lot of what you are saying about car insurance and healthcare is a non runner so you need to mug up on these very important items
Old Oct 13th 2020, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

We are looking to move permanently before end of year ours should to completed end of Nov so were juggling trying to get over ASAP after that . We were wondering if the date of buying a property will be on completion or once deposit has been paid as if its the latter we'll be in the new year !! its all crazy .We have pensions and sale of our house in UK to keep us going till our Gov pension kicks in , unless they move the age again ! What do you mean by ' non runner ' ? Yes i have been looking into the various things needed and its not a easy read !
Old Oct 13th 2020, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We were wondering if the date of buying a property will be on completion or once deposit has been paid as if its the latter we'll be in the new year !!
I think it would be difficult to prove you were living in France before the end of the year, without an address that you could actually show you were living at (utilities set up in your name, etc.)

Old Oct 13th 2020, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

sorry what is an inactif & FOM ? I guess if we get the right permission probably 2021 it'll be a while to record how the business is fairing . ? thought if you were looking to live in France from 2021 we had to apply for a visa ? I'm confused again !! ill have to do some reading
You mention that you've been planning a move to France for over a year, so it's surprising that only now you are querying terms like inactive and FOM. These are fundamental issues (and there are so many more) that have been discussed in other threads on this forum since Brexit, and must be understood before making such a gigantic leap into the unknown.
I wish to be helpful but have been struggling with the following thoughts:
Many in the past have decided to move permanently to France without researching the many pitfalls, without knowing the rules and complications concerning setting up a business, healthcare cover and the many other issues. Many came and failed for a multiple of reasons (I personally know of 3 couples). The ‘lucky’ ones who failed at least took some prior advise about not burning their bridges, so at least they had a UK home to retreat back to.
Others who took the un-researched plunge just a few years back, at least did not have time restraints/major hurdles such as the dreaded Brexit or Covid issues to hamper them, so were able to pick up the rules and regulations as they went along and have had time to get all-important things issued such as Carte Vital, Mutual, driving licence change, car/other insurances, CdS etc., also time for job hunting and property purchase, setting up all utilities etc.
Imho, anyone wishing to come here permanently at the current time even with finely honed dossiers/prepared planning, faces a real uphill struggle.
And for those who have not planned down to the finest detail I fear will be a total nightmare scenario, even more so if we are into a further lock-down within the next weeks or months ahead, which is looking more and more likely. I do hope I am proved wrong. Apologies if I come across like a wet-blanket, but I do believe in looking reality in the face.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 13th 2020 at 7:36 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think that's a bit harsh Tweedie.
Too many of us on here have lived with Brexit for 4 years, grappled to get our heads round it and worried ourselves sick about it and read up about it until we feel we've been eating it and drinking it. But there are plenty people out there that haven't..

My fear for kazz is that they are going to sell their UK house and buy a house in France and then it will turn out that they are only allowed to spend 90 out of 180 days in France, so where will they have somewhere in the UK to live for the rest of the time? If they have, fine, but if they haven't then they will have a problem.

This is a quote from the France Rights webpage that I referenced in the other thread, and according to them is the latest information the conditions that new arrivals in France who want to claim residence rights under the Withdrawal Agreement will be required to meet (my bold, to emphasise the bits I think kazz needs to look at carefully):

You have BEEN IN FRANCE FOR LESS THAN 5 YEARS (WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE A CdS)
You will have a bit more to do to make your application, as you have to demonstrate your personal situation and show that you meet certain conditions.
You have to show that you fit into one of the following categories: worker/self-employed; student; economically inactive/retired; or a family member of someone who does fall into one of these categories. You’ll have to provide the same kind of proofs as under the previous scheme; examples of the kind of proof that will be accepted will be given as soon as possible and will be on the French official website when the portal opens.
If you are economically inactive, you will have to show two things. Firstly, you have to show that you have comprehensive health cover. This condition is met by joining the French health system or by taking out equivalent full private health insurance. You will also have to show that you have sufficient resources not to become a burden on the French social security system. The guideline figure for this will be the minimum level of RSA for a single person, currently 564,76€ per month; this will apply whatever your age or the size of your household, ie whether you are single, a couple, or have children. This is a welcome change from the current system, under which the guideline figures increase for those over 65 and for couples and families.
If you have arrived in France very recently, you'll need to be able to show that you were 'settled' here by 31 December 2020. This may include evidence of your arrival date plus having a property rental contract or proof of a job to start, for example. We await more details on this but it sounds as though just a travel ticket and a hotel booking would not be seen as sufficient.​
If you meet the conditions you will be eligible to receive a card with a validity of 5 years.

So if they want this carte de sejour it looks as if they will need to submit documents to prove a) that they were settled in France before 31 December, b) that they've had full healthcare insurance since the date they arrived, and c) that they have a monthly income of at least 654€. Hopefully their pensions meet the threshold; it should be possible to get healthcare in place; but if they were not actually living in France before 31 December, they won't be able to produce documents to prove that they were. You can't prove a situation that never existed. The prefecture will want official documents and they will check the dates.
If they don't qualify for this carte de sejour they would be looking at applying for a visa. Which might be the easiest way, however it's unknown territory and again, the issue that's likely to arise is Will they have somewhere to live in the UK until their visa application has been submitted and approved?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 13th 2020 at 9:04 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Hi kazz4662. I'm not sure where you're at in terms of a house purchase? Although I'm already a resident in France, I put in an offer for a house on the 27th September which was accepted the following day. It's really touch and go as to whether we will have the keys and the deeds prior to the 31st December. The estate agent seemed hopeful, the notaire says there is no guarantee of course. For myself, it's not really a big issue, other than wanting to spend Christmas there. I'm still waiting for a date for the compromis de vente.

When I arrived in France, many moons ago, it was impossible to have a CDS (at least where I was living); I felt like I was living there unannounced, so one of the first things I did was go to the local town hall and registered myself to be able to vote in local elections; I figured it would be some sort of proof that I was therefore a resident, until the utility bills and bank accounts were sorted out. I think on Monday 19th there will be a clearer idea as to what can be used as proof. I wish you luck.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

@Kazz4662, further to my few helpful comments in post #5, I too wish you the best of luck and will keep fingers crossed that all goes well.
I'm sure you will have other questions as soon as you arrive, and together with others will do my best to help. Indeed if you were moving close to my location (SW) I'd be ready and willing to give on site assistance - as I did once before with another couple starting out fresh from UK.
Remain motivated, and stay safe.
TP.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 14th 2020 at 7:23 am.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 11:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's other threads indicate that they are still at the property-seeking stage. Even if they were to come over and visit possible locations next week, it would be impossible for them to own property before 31st December 2020 and beat the deadline.
As already suggested, why not come over ASAP and rent an appartment (not an AirBnB or gîte)? The rental receipts plus Utility bills dated November/December would suffice to justify domicile when they apply for entry into the French S.S. System after 3 months. Private healthcare insurance would have to be taken out to cover the period between Day 1 and the date when their application is accepted.
The issue of sufficient regular income is important when applying for Résidence, bearing in mind, also, that French landlords require proof of regular income 3-4 times the rent, failing which a Guarantor is necessary. Savings in the bank don't count as they could disappear from one day to the next....
Add Covid to the equation and the outlook doesn't look promising...
Prés. Macron is addressing the nation this evening and will no doubt announce stricter anti-Covid measures which might limit cross-border travel. The OP should follow the French News closely, if only to know the worst...
I wish them the best of luck in their decision.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

So you have occupational pensions to fund you That is good Now you need to be aware of the Anglo French tax treaty which states that gov occupational pensions eg police teachers etc are taxed in the UK and all other pensions in France As a French resident you will need to submit a french tax return detailing your world wide income
In respect of insurances you will have one month to register your vehicles in France and you will need french vehicle insurance so you cannot continue on UK plates and UK insurance
House insurance is obligatory in France and the notaire will need to see it at the sale
You can join the french health system after 3 months You will need private insurance to cover you until you have joined As you will have pensions you will not have to make direct contributions to the French health system Hoever if you start working then you will start paying The french system pays about 70% of your costs so you are advised to buy top up insurance to cover the rest As a French resident you are not eligible for NHS cover
Old Oct 15th 2020, 6:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu

Prés. Macron is addressing the nation this evening and will no doubt announce stricter anti-Covid measures which might limit cross-border travel. The OP should follow the French News closely, if only to know the worst...
I wish them the best of luck in their decision.
In fact, not many BE members will be affected by the stricter measures (curfew between 21h00 and 6h00), as they only apply to the Ile de France and 8 large cities. No restrictions on travel outside of these areas. Elsewhere, common sense should prevail....
(Off-topic, the latter is lacking in my rural neck of the woods - there are two Covid clusters in my hamlet and a neighbouring one, the virus having been introduced from High-Alert Montpellier at a large family gathering here which my immediate next-door neighbour attended.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.