Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

hello everyone - moving to the Charente region

Wikiposts

hello everyone - moving to the Charente region

Old Jan 19th 2013, 4:17 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello everyone

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Have to agree. I've been mentally going through all the French houses I've been in and so far I haven't come across a single one with fitted carpets. Slightly off topic but the French do seem to take their floors very seriously. I have friends who keep piles of slippers in the garage, and whenever a visitor arrives they dig out a pair of slippers for them to wear. And when they come to visit me, automatically take their shoes off before they come into the living room - I tell them not to bother but it seems they cannot bring themselves to keep their outdoor shoes on indoors. Is this normal?
What a crackin' story ET made me
Old Jan 19th 2013, 7:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Have to agree. I've been mentally going through all the French houses I've been in and so far I haven't come across a single one with fitted carpets.
The house we bought had (and still has) fitted carpets throughout the upstairs. Downstairs is all hardwood parquet except for some tiles in the hallway and the kitchen.

Stores like Leroy-Merlin sell carpeting which they will fit (at a price), so I can't imagine it's all that rare a thing (at least in Normandy).

Slightly off topic but the French do seem to take their floors very seriously. I have friends who keep piles of slippers in the garage, and whenever a visitor arrives they dig out a pair of slippers for them to wear. And when they come to visit me, automatically take their shoes off before they come into the living room - I tell them not to bother but it seems they cannot bring themselves to keep their outdoor shoes on indoors. Is this normal?
Taking your shoes off inside is completely normal here in Canada, I presume because there's snow outside most of the time.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

They have a wide (well, four or five rolls) selection of different carpets here in a decorating store as well as Leroy Merlin and one of the brico shops.
I have never seen fitted carpet in anything but an English owned house. Must have them though, or carpet would not be on sale. I am going to guess it is only upstairs.
One of the pointers might be the feet on sofas and armchairs. I will look more closely.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

kazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nice

The nearest Leroy Merlin is Poitiers for you Skelley.
Our neighbours always take their shoes off at the door when they pop in for a drink at the end of the day - but his might be because thy have been tramping round the farm and are likely to have cow dung on them which we would not appreciate even on our old tiled floors!! (Must get a basket of old slippers to put by he door!!!)
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

With four dogs we have plenty of old slippers - but no pairs! And for some reason they always chew the same foot.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

kazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
With four dogs we have plenty of old slippers - but no pairs! And for some reason they always chew the same foot.
Skilled hoppers? Or one cold foot and one warm one?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, they are cheaper than chew toys!

Just spend a lot of time on the odds and sods section in Leclerc
Old Jan 20th 2013, 4:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they are cheaper than chew toys!

Just spend a lot of time on the odds and sods section in Leclerc
You didn't say which foot they chew. Mine goes only for right feet: perhaps we should get together on this.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: hello everyone - moving to the Charente region

Damn!

Guess which mine chew too?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:10 am
Born again atheist

Damn!

Guess which mine chew too?
Right. Right?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

2 right!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:14 am
Just Joined

skelly84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazzo
The nearest Leroy Merlin is Poitiers for you Skelley.
Our neighbours always take their shoes off at the door when they pop in for a drink at the end of the day - but his might be because thy have been tramping round the farm and are likely to have cow dung on them which we would not appreciate even on our old tiled floors!! (Must get a basket of old slippers to put by he door!!!)
Many thanks for that might check it out when we come over not long now.The main reason we were after a carpet fitter is for the stairs in the property we are buying,the property is lovely but the stair treads let it down thought carpet would be a cheap and quick fix however would love Oak treads
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:27 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skelly84
Many thanks for that might check it out when we come over not long now.The main reason we were after a carpet fitter is for the stairs in the property we are buying,the property is lovely but the stair treads let it down thought carpet would be a cheap and quick fix however would love Oak treads
Can a mere bloke suggest you move in an suck it and see. Go with the flow as you create and decorate the house to your comfort factor. My OH is an exceptional amateur, who could do it for a living, so this bloke listens and learns from experience ...
Old Apr 4th 2013, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

skelly84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazzo
Hi Skelly and welcome.
We are not that far from you just the other side of Melle. We have had a place out here for 10 years (though never had carpet fitted!). Husband is now out here, more or less permanently, I still travel back to UK for work. Give us a shout if you need to know anything about the area or just want a local contact!
Kazzo
Hello again
Just wondered if you could help us ,we have just moved over and are having problems with the freesat box we cannot get a signal we are having withdrawal symptoms do don,t know of any Satallite engineers in the area
Many Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2013, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whereabouts are you Skelly. I can PM you a name if you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.