British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/hello-579781/)

Ewood Dec 23rd 2008 7:35 am

Re: Hello

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 7091831)
been there - done that:sneaky:
let's try to keep at least one serious topic on thread shall we:p

Good luck Kaitlyn

I wish to point out that I have refrained from deflowering this serious thread!

val50 Dec 23rd 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Ewood (Post 7095250)
Good luck Kaitlyn

I wish to point out that I have refrained from deflowering this serious thread!

so impressed - how's the new job?

Ewood Dec 23rd 2008 8:16 am

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 7095290)
so impressed - how's the new job?

I'll give it a week :rofl:

Ad you know, everywhere you work has there own variations on how to do things, store things, systems, paperwork etc. So mentally tiring at the mo' but everyone very friendly, not working Christmas Day, so 'as well as could be expected' would be my diagnosis.

Mery Christmas to you and yours Matron, be gentle with your 'team' for a couple of days!;);) :D

onlyonebrenda Dec 23rd 2008 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn (Post 7092074)
Thank you for all your help everyone. I studied French in school and college, but other than a few trips to France and one French man in a & e when on placement, I haven't really spoken French since leaving college. I know that I need to improve my French before doing anything.

If you have studied French to a reasonable level it will all come back to you once you're over here and you'll be able to build on it. In the Dordogne there is a large British ex pat population and it beocmes quite a problem when they have to go into hospital where there may be no English speaking nurses.
There are also other hospital based categories of careers which could be allied to nursing. One friend works with people who have had strokes and similar head injuries on the rehabilitation side. Apparently it is a graduate qualification and there is no direct equivalent in England but it always sounded very interesting.
PĂ©rigueux has a very large hospital complex, is near airports serving England, is a reasonable sized and attractive town and is within easy reach of the countryside.
France has its own equivalent of rural brain drain. Whilst my village has an excellent and overworked doctor most doctors are tempted away in to the towns because of opportunities for promotion etc. I'm sure the same applies for nurses. They don't seem to have GP clinic nurses here.
Generally the feedback on treatment in the main hospitals is that it is excellent and very professional.
The flat attached to my house is vacant for let at present.