British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Heating water in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/heating-water-france-941635/)

jack_russell Nov 18th 2021 5:18 pm

Heating water in France

I was wondering what people's experience of water heaters is in France.

We just had a simple tank (Atlantic) with an immersion heater but that has packed in and so we are looking at a replacement. The simple option would be to replace it like with like but it is highly inefficient to pre-heat water and storing it so we are looking at better alternatives.

We had an idea of having an electric combi boiler like we see in the UK but the plumber we have spoken to says they are not very common in France and so very expensive. Our heating is currently served by an oil fired boiler and our thinking was that sometime in the future we could run the heating the combi boiler.

He has suggested a Thermor Malicio water heater which are Popular in France, has anyone had any experience of these.

We also toyed with the idea of having an electric shower but again they are not very common in France and the plumber has said that they are a bad idea as input cables to French homes are not designed to carry such a load. I have read this before but could someone confirm?

Moses2013 Nov 19th 2021 11:58 am

Re: Heating water in France

Originally Posted by jack_russell (Post 13073296)
I was wondering what people's experience of water heaters is in France.

We just had a simple tank (Atlantic) with an immersion heater but that has packed in and so we are looking at a replacement. The simple option would be to replace it like with like but it is highly inefficient to pre-heat water and storing it so we are looking at better alternatives.

We had an idea of having an electric combi boiler like we see in the UK but the plumber we have spoken to says they are not very common in France and so very expensive. Our heating is currently served by an oil fired boiler and our thinking was that sometime in the future we could run the heating the combi boiler.

He has suggested a Thermor Malicio water heater which are Popular in France, has anyone had any experience of these.

We also toyed with the idea of having an electric shower but again they are not very common in France and the plumber has said that they are a bad idea as input cables to French homes are not designed to carry such a load. I have read this before but could someone confirm?

There is another thread in Spain section. I'm surprised that some people still seem to be focused on gas and conventional electric water heaters. We have these and would be far more efficient: https://www.aircon.panasonic.eu/GB_e...s/aquarea/dhw/ The difference with Thermor Malicio is that it runs 100% on electricity when you use it, so just depends really.

EuroTrash Nov 19th 2021 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jack_russell (Post 13073296)
it is highly inefficient to pre-heat water and storing it so we are looking at better alternatives.

I suppose it is and I'm sure there are better systems nowadays. But, my ballon is very well insulated and keeps the water hot. Generally I switch it on overnight every third night but sometimes during the third day if I've used more hot water than usual. So for one heat up (which I don't know how long it takes, the booklet says 5 hours to get it up to temperature from stone cold, but it's never stone cold), I get three morning showers, three night-time ablutions, and wash a few pots three or four times a day. All in all I don't think that's too bad.

Chatter Static Nov 20th 2021 11:31 am

Now is not a good time to be investing in something that relies on oil or gas as the bans on new or replacement systems will only get more rules added.