Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in France as early retiree

Healthcare in France as early retiree

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthcare in France as early retiree

I have read many threads that include this subject and decided rather than hijack any of them I'd start a new one.
I am 61 so therefore cannot get an S1 form when I move to France. Presently I am on medication for high blood pressure (along with half the population I would guess!!) so don't know what implications that has on getting private medical insurance - but that's for another thread.
However - I have read many times that you can be covered in France by PUMA after 3 months but need to have private medical insurance until that 3 month period has elapsed. I have also read that you need to be covered privately right up to the day you retire officially in the UK and receive a state pension (66 in my case).
If somebody can clarify which is correct (needing private insurance for the first 3 months OR needing private insurance right up till I turn 66 and can get an S1) I would be very grateful.
Any other advice/pointers also gratefully received!
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in France as early retiree

The former is correct.
If it works out that you need to apply for a visa, you will likely need to provide proof of health insurance as one of the documents required for your visa application.
The S1 is an EU form, so it is very unlikely that the UK will be issuing them by the time you reach 66. Unless it's rejoined the EU by then LOL.

I realise you are trying to plan ahead but in all honesty, planning beyond the Brexit deadline is virtually impossible. Until the dust settles we simply won't know what the new rules will be. The answers you get now could be way off beam because all we can tell you is how things stand for EU citizens, and how things currently stand for non EU citizens. There might be special arrangements for Brits, more likely there won't be. The visa categories for third country nationals are reviewed on a regular basis so there is no certainty that the rules will be the same in three years' time. It's not impossible that there will be changes to PUMA eligibility, again France tweaks the rules from time to time. Why not save your questions until nearer the time?
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

An afterthought - if you are planning to use a holiday home between now and then, presumably you will in any case need to get health insurance sorted for your visits to France if as seems probable the UK stops issuing EHICs.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Both ET's answers are spot-on. The 2nd is especially interesting as she's thinking outside-the (pandora's) box.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

What income will you have? In the heading you say "early retiree" but you give no indication in the text that you have a private or occupational pension Basically as EH says you are probably best waiting till the Brexit dust has settled especially as it is likely France will have minimum income requirements This is the official french govt website www.brexit.gouv.fr
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for replies - very grateful
as for Brexit - at this rate it doesn't look like they are going to let it happen - or at the best/worst it is going to drag on indefinitely!
Apologies, I should have said that I am actually an Irish citizen but have lived in UK for most of my life so in terms of property and investments healthcare etc etc I have only been subscribed in UK .
So Brexit might not be an issue for me in terms of freedom of movement but all other things like the important health care cover, state pension will be affected. I am very lucky in that a have a (smallish) private pension as well as substantial investments to keep me going - but possibly not enough if I have to rely on private medical insurance for the rest of my life (initial quotes have been eye-watering!)
Once again - thank you all for taking the time to answer

Old Oct 3rd 2019, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzer70
Thanks so much for replies - very grateful
as for Brexit - at this rate it doesn't look like they are going to let it happen - or at the best/worst it is going to drag on indefinitely!
Apologies, I should have said that I am actually an Irish citizen but have lived in UK for most of my life so in terms of property and investments healthcare etc etc I have only been subscribed in UK .
So Brexit might not be an issue for me in terms of freedom of movement but all other things like the important health care cover, state pension will be affected. I am very lucky in that a have a (smallish) private pension as well as substantial investments to keep me going - but possibly not enough if I have to rely on private medical insurance for the rest of my life (initial quotes have been eye-watering!)
Once again - thank you all for taking the time to answer
You still have options through Ireland then, especially when it comes to EU rights. So you could transfer things to Ireland before you really retire to France.

Under the Drugs Payment Scheme, an individual or family in Ireland only has to pay €124 each month for approved prescribed drugs, medicines and certain appliances for use by that person or family in that month. People with certain long-term illnesses or disabilities may apply to join the Long Term Illness Scheme which permits the person to get, free of charge, drugs, medicines and medical and surgical appliances directly related to the treatment of their illness. A person may qualify for a medical card under EU Regulations (see pages 41 to 44 of medical card and GP visit card assessment guidelines) if they have no link to the Irish social security system and: • are living in Ireland and receiving benefits from an EU country or another country covered by EU Regulations; • are living in Ireland but working in a country subject to EU Regulations and pay social insurance contributions in that country; • are living in Ireland and are the dependent spouse or child of someone living in one of these countries. Note - The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles a person to necessary healthcare in the public system of any EU/EEA Member State and Switzerland, if they become ill or injured while on a temporary stay in that country. However the card does not entitle a person to intentionally travel abroad with the aim of getting healthcare through the public system. See the HSE website for how to apply for the EHIC.

The Cross Border Directive (CBD) allows you to get healthcare in another EU or EEA member state.

You can access this healthcare in the same way you'd get public healthcare in Ireland.

The healthcare must be planned. You need a valid referral and you must qualify for the healthcare you want as a public patient in Ireland.

Once you go abroad, you must pay for any healthcare that you get. But under the CBD you can then apply to the HSE for reimbursement towards the cost of the healthcare.

You can not claim reimbursement for:
  • the cost of any medicine you'll need afterwards
  • any travel costs
If you are having healthcare that involves an overnight stay in hospital, you can apply for prior authorisation before you go abroad.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 3rd 2019 at 10:04 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that Moses - lots to think about!