Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Chartres Anyone Been Recently?

Chartres Anyone Been Recently?

Old May 17th 2018, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chartres Anyone Been Recently?

A very pleasant day out from Paris. Has anyone been there over recent times? I lived there for three and a half years during the nineties. I had the most wonderful apartment, overlooking the river, with a 16 century bridge just across from the window. Many a tourist could be heard taking a photo from the bridge, all so quaint. How we take things for granted.

The city is famous of course for its cathedral. Glass blowing was something of a cottage industry there as well. Has anyone visited or even stayed or live in the area? I sadly haven't returned since I left in mid nineties. Only an hour by train from Paris. A great alternative from Paris to live as well, although, I guess rather expensive these days.
Old May 17th 2018, 11:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chartres Anyone Been Recently?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
A very pleasant day out from Paris. Has anyone been there over recent times? I lived there for three and a half years during the nineties. I had the most wonderful apartment, overlooking the river, with a 16 century bridge just across from the window. Many a tourist could be heard taking a photo from the bridge, all so quaint. How we take things for granted.

The city is famous of course for its cathedral. Glass blowing was something of a cottage industry there as well. Has anyone visited or even stayed or live in the area? I sadly haven't returned since I left in mid nineties. Only an hour by train from Paris. A great alternative from Paris to live as well, although, I guess rather expensive these days.
I was there last year. The Cathedral is still not funny.*

*Channeling John Cleese in debate with Malcolm Muggerige after the "controversial" release of The Life of Brian.
Old May 17th 2018, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Never the less. One of the finest examples of gothic architecture I can think of. Hope you walked down the hill, to the old quarter. (or the toy train) Monet thought it okay I guess.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Never the less. One of the finest examples of gothic architecture I can think of. Hope you walked down the hill, to the old quarter. (or the toy train) Monet thought it okay I guess.
It is great Gothic architecture indeed, even if I prefer the Bayeux example or even the Koelner Dom, but since you appear to have less sense of humour than Muggeridge here's the clip from 1979.
Old May 17th 2018, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

A good place to stop . There's an underground car park beside the cathedral and local cafes aren't charging exorbitant prices. For free parking look on the other side of the railway line (to the west I think) and walk through a park.
There are a number of cheap hotels (F ! etc) on the ring road Towards Oleans and Blois
Old May 17th 2018, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
A good place to stop . There's an underground car park beside the cathedral and local cafes aren't charging exorbitant prices.
Sounds like Old Nick has a nice steady number going, making a bit of a killing in his subterranean lair, and local cathedral cafes not charging exorbitant prices sounds like a miracle in it's own right.
Old May 18th 2018, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It is great Gothic architecture indeed, even if I prefer the Bayeux example or even the Koelner Dom, but since you appear to have less sense of humour than Muggeridge here's the clip from 1979. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGI9UevrzGc
Well as Muggeridge often 'cracks' me up,, if not exactly rolling on the floor with laughter, perhaps it is you sans the humour gene.
Old May 18th 2018, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

While Chartres is an extremely decent place to live, nightlife wouldn't probably be a reason to do so. The weather in winter can prove to be a bit 'flat'. Not a lot of snow, but rather foggy and heavy. The surrounding countryside is very flat. I suppose akin to parts of Eastern England like The Fens.

One activity did enjoy was to rent a row boat or canoe and row/paddle up river with a lunch hamper and . pique nique beside the river on a warm day. It could be a whole day activity getting back before dark.

The big sell of course was the closeness to Paris. An hour on the train and back late at night. Not a lot further than going from Perth to Fremantle (the port) in Western Australia, when come to think of it. Anyway done it close on five days a week with moderate ease to and from Paris.
The advantages were of course was better living standards away from Paris but with easy accessibility.